Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Touch screen jumping & rolling (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/touch-screen-jumping-rolling-150083/)

Zimbomac 09-18-2015 05:26 PM

Touch screen jumping & rolling

My touch screen has started juddering & rolling. This is most annoying & I have to switch it off completely as it is more of a distraction. Remedy ideas please. :icon_knight:

GGG 09-19-2015 02:09 AM

Welcome to the forum Zimbomac,

The best idea is to tell us the Model and Year! From your forum profile I'll guess it's an early XK?

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Jpav27 09-19-2015 04:36 PM

Hi zimbomac, you should try doing a search on that topic. Many people have had problems with the touchscreen. It may be battery related.

digband 08-31-2018 08:58 PM

Team Jag - see attached pic - related to this post my 2009 XKR touchscreen is flickering frequently - it used to be only once in a while, but lately it is flickering all the time and then goes into that thing like an old TV when you turned the horizontal adjustment all the way to one end, then it fades to black. If I hit the power button twice to turn the screen off, wait awhile, then turn it back on, it will work fine and stay on for awhile, then rinse and repeat. I had it at a shop for an oil change and they said the seats and carpet need to be removed to troubleshoot this?!?!?! Has anyone seen this before and/or have any suggestions? FYI my battery stays on a tender whenever I'm not driving it, pretty consistently, so I don't think it's that. Thanks in advance for any input.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d0c13ae5bc.jpg

touchscreen flickering

IanXF 09-01-2018 06:01 AM

Might be a loose connection on the video unit in the rear by battery

Cambo 09-01-2018 07:07 AM

To have that effect with the screensaver displayed, it's nothing to do with the navigation module, it's something up inside the touchscreen itself.

Replace the screen, or find an electronics nerd to pull it apart and have a look.

Tracee 09-01-2018 02:47 PM

"If I hit the power button twice to turn the screen off, wait awhile, then turn it back on, it will work fine and stay on for awhile, then rinse and repeat."

Sounds like a heat problem. Not like the car is too hot, but rather, a component within the touchscreem unit that is within spec while cool, but as time goes by, heats up and goes out of spec, causing an issue like this. Turn unit off, component cools down, and works for a while 'til component heats up again and fails.

If you're technically / mechanically inclined, pull out the infotainment screen, reconnect power as it's hanging there and use a product like QuikFreeze (it's in aerosol form) and spray each component one at a time. When the problem clears, that'll be the failing component.

Of course, you'll have to find a replacement (chip / semiconductor / capacitor / whatever) and replace it. Nothing else, you can have a technician replace the component once you've isolated it. At least you won't have the dealer running on a wild goo$e cha$e replacing stuff that doesn't need replacing.

digband 09-02-2018 02:16 PM

Thanks for all your responses... I think the heating theory makes sense, but I notice it does this happens slightly if I open the door and the Jag symbol appears even when the car has been sitting overnight and everything is cool, and also when the car is very first started, so I'm disinclined to think it's heat related. I do have the service manual but am not very familiar with it yet as the car is pretty new to me... any chance someone can help me pinpoint where in the 4,000 pages (or elsewhere) I can find instructions on how to get the infotainment system out to troubleshoot it (and/or where the video cable connects in the back near the battery, just to rule that out)? Much thanks.

Sean W 09-02-2018 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You won't find any information in the service manual on how to troubleshoot this problem. Jaguar treats the head unit as a plug an play. The wiring diagrams don't cover the internal circuitry either. You really need someone with circuit board skills who can fly without a manual.

Here's the instructions on how to remove it.

digband 09-02-2018 05:17 PM

Much thanks for the service bulletin with removal instructions! Gonna have to roll up my sleeves and pull that thing out and check the connections.

Brutal 09-03-2018 09:48 PM

issues like that are the touch screen and like Cambo said it is just like a tv(it is)screen. Mine looses vertical hold and scrolls when cold. And stops once it get warmer in the interior, a winter only thing in mine but getting more frequent. This is the most common issue and 1 day Ill pull it out and send out to a ecu repairer like goecu, or several of the others that repair modules. Its cheaper than the $2-4000 for a new one

JackJohn 09-09-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 1955750)
To have that effect with the screensaver displayed, it's nothing to do with the navigation module, it's something up inside the touchscreen itself.

Replace the screen, or find an electronics nerd to pull it apart and have a look.

Interestingly enough, the horizontal hold drops out on mine, but only when in the navigation mode.

davedanger 11-03-2018 03:38 AM

ok will do , thanks so much graham

davedanger 11-03-2018 03:38 AM

ok will do .....thanks so much Graham!

necpuglisi 12-13-2018 07:44 PM

2008 XK Info screen only flashes jag logo.

I'm in coastal N.C with closest dealer being 3 hours away in S.C .Had dealer run diagnostics for about $165 gave two steps to rectify -Re-program Screen if that doesn't work replace screen for a total cost of $5,000. Next trip was to N.J. spent $165 for Diagnostics and was correctly told it was the Bluetooth Module $1,400 to replace. Bought a used one on E-bay for $145 removed the battery cover the 4 screws and 3 plugs on module and replaced with E-Bay purchase 6W83-10D893-AG .It's located just under the Nav CD holder to the right of the battery. Problem fixed.
Hope this info. helps

Stuart S 12-13-2018 10:10 PM

Well done! You just saved the next Forum member with this problem a lot of $$$! It appears to be pretty easy to swap out that module.

Sean W 12-14-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 2000742)
Well done! You just saved the next Forum member with this problem a lot of $$$! It appears to be pretty easy to swap out that module.

Very easy to swap the module but not necessarily the cause of all screen issues.

The OP never identified any codes which were apparently present as he had diagnostics run. I doubt there's a way to link the BT module to the screen without a code unless you just pull parts from the fiber optic loop and bypass them one at a time. Certainly a viable option.

Typical issues with the screen identified by others won't throw a code and are screen related.

Still very nice to hear back and add one more check or series of checks to zero in on the problem.

Zahmed1094 12-14-2018 11:47 AM

My screen went dead yesterday. Only the Jaguar symbol remained. I sat in the car, tried re-starting the car, pushing the on off buttons and nothing. The touch screen stayed stuck with just the logo showing. I then shut the car, went out of range and returned to the car, started and the touch screen is working. Dont know what caused it but I am not paying a dealer $165 to figure it out!

sov211 12-14-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zahmed1094 (Post 2000928)
My screen went dead yesterday. Only the Jaguar symbol remained. I sat in the car, tried re-starting the car, pushing the on off buttons and nothing. The touch screen stayed stuck with just the logo showing. I then shut the car, went out of range and returned to the car, started and the touch screen is working. Dont know what caused it but I am not paying a dealer $165 to figure it out!

Zahmed...once again, this is the typical symptom of low battery voltage (!)...

JackJohn 12-14-2018 01:44 PM

I have come to the conclusion that the Nav unit is the problem in mine, because the problem only exists when I try to use the Nav. All other screens are perfect. Now that the temps are much cooler here, the Nav appears to work again. I will pull the unit out, open it up and touch all the solder points with a soldering iron. I think the heat related problem may be a broken joint.