Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   TPMS-Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/tpms-tire-pressure-monitoring-sensors-107293/)

richzak 11-28-2013 09:42 AM

TPMS-Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors

I am purchasing new tires for my 2009 XKR. The tires have TPMS's.

When I go to replace the tires the tire dealer is going to rebuild the sensors and the rebuild kit was $18.00 for the 4 TPMS's.

Is there any thing I have to do for the car to pick up the sensor and provide a readout like programming.

This is the first time dealing with TPMS so I am new to the system and what is required to have them work and see the readout on the dash.

Any input is most welcome. Perhaps there are other XK/XKR owners who have went thru this process.

Thanks in advance.

chazaroo 11-28-2013 09:52 AM

I went through this a couple times with my 07 XK. Nothing needed to be done after they installed the tires and rebuilt sensors.Everything worked fine.

ndy.boyd 11-28-2013 09:58 AM

I've never heard of "rebuilding" sensors. What exactly does that mean?

jagtoes 11-28-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by richzak (Post 864071)
I am purchasing new tires for my 2009 XKR. The tires have TPMS's.

When I go to replace the tires the tire dealer is going to rebuild the sensors and the rebuild kit was $18.00 for the 4 TPMS's.

Is there any thing I have to do for the car to pick up the sensor and provide a readout like programming.

This is the first time dealing with TPMS so I am new to the system and what is required to have them work and see the readout on the dash.

Any input is most welcome. Perhaps there are other XK/XKR owners who have went thru this process.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to ask/look at the rebuild kit. It is usually a few O-rings and nothing more. As to the reset procedure it should be spelled out in the OM. Pretty simple to do. Oh the tire dealers usually say if you don't do the rebuild they can't guaranty the tire won't leak. Also make sure you tell them if they break it they pay for the replacement and if so make sure you get it from the dealer.

ndy.boyd 11-28-2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 864095)
You might want to ask/look at the rebuild kit. It is usually a few O-rings and nothing more. As to the reset procedure it should be spelled out in the OM. Pretty simple to do. Oh the tire dealers usually say if you don't do the rebuild they can't guaranty the tire won't leak. Also make sure you tell them if they break it they pay for the replacement and if so make sure you get it from the dealer.

This was my point. Using the word, "rebuild" for replacing o-rings is really stretching the Queen's language, especially at $18/tire. An Audi dealer once told my wife that TP sensors could not be reused and installed and charged her for four new ones. It wasn't a pretty scene when I returned to the scene with my wife's car and confronted the dealership GM, who honestly had no idea what the service guy had done. He, of course, refunded the money for the sensors and even gave her a further 20% off the new tires she had just purchased. Interestingly, a month or so later, he called me to say that he had discontinued a sales quota system in the service dept. as he thought this was leading to incidents such as what happened to my wife. The service manager, by the way, was dismissed. I wasn't particularly happy to hear that, but actions do have consequences.

Alljagz 11-28-2013 11:00 PM

I've heard that the sensors are only good for 4-6 years of battery life. After that they have to be replaced. As others have said, a rebuild only replaces the seals and valve stem, not the battery. Seems a waste to spend good money rebuilding when at best you might get another year out of the batteries and then have to pay even more to pull the wheels again to replace them. Given your car is at the 4 yr mark I'd just suck it up and replace them. Especially with a new set if wheels. New sensors I believe can be bought for ~$40 each.

richzak 11-28-2013 11:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd (Post 864121)
This was my point. Using the word, "rebuild" for replacing o-rings is really stretching the Queen's language, especially at $18/tire.

Gents:

The cost to rebuild the sensors is $4.50 each X 4 for a total of $18.00, not $18.00 per tire.

Since this is a national chain with a very good reputation, I will follow their advice. I have used them before with excellent service and results. I will also check into battery replacement if it can be done. I have never had the need to replace tires with TPMS's so it's a learning curve.

TPMS Rebuild Kits

TPMS Vehicle Diagram
Rebuilding the valve portion of the TPMS sensor insures an air tight seal and reduces the chance of early sensor replacement due to wear and corrosion of the components exposed to the environment. Our TPMS Rebuild Kits contain all the necessary components for replacement. TPMS Rebuild Kit
Warning: Using standard valve stem parts in your TPMS Sensor will damage the sensor.

LstFord 12-10-2013 03:49 PM

The dealer did not tighten the drivers side read down and the tire only lost pressure when driveing. On a thirty mile trip I had to stop 4 times but that night it didn't lose a pound of pressure. I noticed the outside nut lose when I checked it the next day.
Jim

richzak 12-10-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 864095)

I have had NO reported problems with the TPMS's rebuilds. I have new tires put on the car 10-14 days ago.

Discount Tire which is well known, rebuilt the TPMS at a cost of $4.50 each, $18.00 Total. Includes new "O" ring seals and removal and install on new tires. All TPMS replaced in original position and all works well on the XKR, with no alerts.

I do however wish the Jaguar TPMS's worked like that on my 2014 Porsche. The Porsche provides a digital readout in visual form of each tire and the PSI in each tire. You can see the change as the tire heats up or cools down. The 2009 MY Jaguar XKR only provides a low Tire PSI "indicator light" and does not show each tires constant or changing PSI.

I am not sure if this is the case in the newer MY XK/XKR's. If it is, Jaguar is way behind the modern technology readouts and data for the driver.

Stuart S 12-10-2013 04:52 PM

Richard,

I, too, wish my XKRs TPMS system worked like the one in your Cayman, which is like the one in my LS460 with a display showing the pressure for each tire including the spare.

I don't trust the Jaguar TPMS and check my tires with a digital gauge every 2-3 weeks. Because the weather just turned a lot colder, I checked my tires today and the fronts were 29 and rears 32 cold. That's only 1 pound under the specs on the door jamb sticker, but since I like to run 3 lbs over, I added air to all 4 tires with my 12v inflator that came with my car.

I agree that Jaguar is way behind other manufacturers in terms of gizmo technology (TPMS, Nav, Apps, Blind Spot, etc.), but to me it's the way the XKR drives, sounds, and looks that are far more important factors in my overall enjoyment.

Stuart

richzak 12-10-2013 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 870785)
Richard,

I, too, wish my XKRs TPMS system worked like the one in your Cayman, which is like the one in my LS460 with a display showing the pressure for each tire including the spare.

I don't trust the Jaguar TPMS and check my tires with a digital gauge every 2-3 weeks. Because the weather just turned a lot colder, I checked my tires today and the fronts were 29 and rears 32 cold. That's only 1 pound under the specs on the door jamb sticker, but since I like to run 3 lbs over, I added air to all 4 tires with my 12v inflator that came with my car.

I agree that Jaguar is way behind other manufacturers in terms of gizmo technology (TPMS, Nav, Apps, Blind Spot, etc.), but to me it's the way the XKR drives, sounds, and looks that are far more important factors in my overall enjoyment.

Stuart

Totally agree 100%. The TPMS's are not a deal breaker for me. I love my 2009 XKR. I hope its a marriage that lasts a long time.

I check my tire pressure on a regular basis with an Accutire MS-4021 gauge.

sov211 05-15-2019 12:32 PM

The intermittent TPMS warning light was the first and only indication that the battery on the XK needed to be replaced (despite being kept on a CTEK unit and was reported as fully charged. Replacement of the (car) battery was the answer.

Sean W 05-15-2019 12:52 PM

infinite scroll strikes again. Worthless feature.

MarkyUK 05-16-2019 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 2071054)
infinite scroll strikes again. Worthless feature.

I understand your ire at old post being resurrected with what you consider to be superfluous/non applicable info.

However if all posts related to issues were updated it would make life easier.

Here are the TPMS sensors I bought for my 2014, they were cheap at less than £10 each, so purchased 5 for spare set of wheels.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...986416cc4f.jpg

kj07xk 05-16-2019 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 2071348)
I understand your ire at old post being resurrected with what you consider to be superfluous/non applicable info.

However if all posts related to issues were updated it would make life easier.

Here are the TPMS sensors I bought for my 2014, they were cheap at less than £10 each, so purchased 5 for spare set of wheels.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...986416cc4f.jpg

Readers: Note the frequency stated on that unit (433 MHz), and use appropriately (i.e. not in the US).

Stuart S 05-16-2019 08:25 AM

I enlarged the photo and looked for a date code but couldn't find it. Maybe it's on the other side. That's important because the battery degrades while it sits on the shelf, so a sensor manufactured 10 years ago probably won't have a lot of life left. Maybe that's why they were so inexpensive.

jagtoes 05-16-2019 08:46 AM

As an FYI all of the info I have seen on any of these sensors is the battery life is between 5-10 years with the avg. of about 7 years. The ones on my Lexus are starting to fail where I had to replace one last year and now have a low battery warning on a 2nd one. Also when a tire place gives you a "rebuild Kit" it only consists of a rubber seal and maybe a schrader valve which is not a big deal. They make it sound like they rebuild the unit . Considering the TPMS law came into effect in 2008 in the US I suspect the early units were not as good as some of the later units so they would be more unreliable.

110reef 05-16-2019 12:19 PM

Can the battery be changed, or do you need to replace the whole sensor?

Cee Jay 05-16-2019 12:33 PM

One must replace the whole sensor, as the batteries are integral.

They certainly are not cheap little buggers;
SE53004 TPMS modules by Siemens

110reef 05-16-2019 01:15 PM

Wow $300 for sensors on top of a tire change. Can't wait.

The seller changed tires on my car when I purchased it. What are the odds that he changed the TPMS sensors....

I am not having problems with them yet, but I will soon be getting new tires. My car is 2008. Could it be riding around with original TPMS? The car had 23,000 miles when I bought it, so likely the tires I have now were the only tire change it ever had. I doubt the dealer changed the units out.