XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPMS on XKR

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default TPMS on XKR

I have read a lot of previous posts on TPMS but this does seem to be confusing, and maybe different in the US.

I'm in the UK, I have a spare set of wheels with brand new Pirelli tyres on. The rims have TPMS valves in them. To have Jaguar reprogram them to the car, do I have to take the tyres off, make a note of the number on each TPMS valve, then give this to Jaguar? Or can jaguar read the number on the system they have?

I would take it that the XKR can only have one set of wheels coded into the system at once too.

i.e. if I then put the old wheels back on (summer tyres) I have to have the numbers off the old wheel valves to re program it all over again to the originals.

Any information appreciated.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Subscribed

Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

I have two sets of rims, summer's and winter's.
The TPMS monitors in my winter's have been cloned to match my summer's.
Works very well. In order to get this accomplished, the tires did have to be unmounted as the monitoring system had to be removed to be reprogrammed.
While performing the task you may as well place new batteries in each of the monitors.

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by guy
The TPMS monitors in my winter's have been cloned to match my summer's.
Works very well. In order to get this accomplished, the tires did have to be unmounted as the monitoring system had to be removed to be reprogrammed.
While performing the task you may as well place new batteries in each of the monitors.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply. That sounds better, who cloned them for you, Jaguar?.

From what you are saying I need all the tyres off all the wheels, Or can they tell what the number is on the existing original wheels, and load it to the new set?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

The overview from the Workshop manual gives the following:

Tyre Location and Identification

The TPMS can identify the position of the wheels on the vehicle and assign a received tyre pressure sensor identification to a specific position on the vehicle, for example FL (front left), FR (front right), RL (rear left) and RR (rear right). This feature is required because of the different pressure targets and threshold between the front and rear tyres.

The wheel location is performed automatically by the TPMS module using an 'auto-location' function. This function is fully automatic and requires no input from the driver. The TPMS module automatically re-learns the position of the wheels on the vehicle if the tyre pressure sensors are replaced or the wheel positions on the vehicle are changed.

The TPMS software can automatically detect, under all operating conditions, the following:

1. one or more new tyre pressure sensors have been fitted
2. one or more tyre pressure sensors have stopped transmitting
3. TPMS module can reject identifications from tyre pressure sensors which do not belong to the vehicle
4. two 'running' wheels on the vehicle have changed positions.

If a new tyre pressure sensor is fitted on any 'running' wheel, the module can learn the new sensor identification automatically when the vehicle is driven for more than 15 minutes at a speed of more than 20 km/h (12.5 mph).

The tyre learn and location process is ready to commence when the vehicle has been stationary or travelling at less than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. This is known as 'parking mode'. The learn/locate process requires the vehicle to be driven at speeds of more than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. If the vehicle speed reduces to below 12 mph (20 km/h), the learn process timer is suspended until the vehicle speed increases to more than 12 mph (20 km/h), after which time the timer is resumed. If the vehicle speed remains below 12 mph (20 km/h) for more than 15 minutes, the timer is set to zero and process starts again.

If the tyre pressure sensors fitted to the running wheels vehicle are changed, the module can learn the new sensor identifications automatically. The learn function requires no manual intervention by the driver.

Spare Tyre Identification
Tyre pressure sensors are not fitted to the space saver spare wheel and therefore the spare wheel is not monitored.

This suggests you could change one wheel at a time and the learn/locate process would automatically recognise and configure the new sensor. Ideal for fitting a single replacement wheel/tyre without needing dealer assistance but impractical for a full set as it takes 15 minutes per wheel.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
CleverName (02-07-2014), DGL (02-08-2014), unders (02-08-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
While performing the task you may as well place new batteries in each of the monitors. Cheers!
Batteries in TPMS sensors are not replaceable as they are sealed units/sensors/monitors.

You simply replace the entire monitor/sensor and then have them programmed.

You may want to take 5 minutes to read the following article.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...s-sensor-units

Hope this information helps ending any speculation that batteries can be replaced.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 AM
guy
Veteran Member

sorry. can't seem to remove this duplicate post using my iPhone app.

Last edited by guy; 02-08-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:35 AM
guy
Veteran Member

I had previously considered all the input that everyone is offering. These ridiculous procedures or thoughts of buying additional modules in fact turned me off.

My cloned approach I stand by. No mess, no fuss, just mark each rim with its desired location on the car.

The cloned monitors are German made. I'm afraid I don't have the brand name any longer. And they do take those ever so small watch batteries.

Finally, yes. The tires do need to be removed to attach the cloning tool to the module.

Cheers

Old 02-08-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by guy
I had previously considered all the input that everyone is offering. These ridiculous procedures or thoughts of buying additional modules in fact turned me off.

My cloned approach I stand by. No mess, no fuss, just mark each rim with its desired location on the car.

The cloned monitors are German made. I'm afraid I don't have the brand name any longer. And they do take those ever so small watch batteries.

Finally, yes. The tires do need to be removed to attach the cloning tool to the module.

Cheers
Thanks guy, I'm trying to get it clear, did you buy the cloning module Guy? Or did the dealer clone them?

Old 02-08-2014, 04:42 AM

I bought the wheels brand new and unused. They came off the 50 cars to be made into the XKR-S GT. Two had TPMS (american market different band width), two did not have any. They sent me a set of 433 MhZ sensors to replace them all. I had the tyres removed, fitted them, and still have the two US spec sensors I took off. 315mhz or something.

Mistakenly the new tyres where removed the sensors fitted but we never logged the numbers. Apparently you need this to program it at Jaguar or so they say. We then have the issue of, when I programme the new wheels, the old will have to be done again, when they are re fitted.
On top of this I may need to remove the old tries to find the original TPMS sensor numbers, unless we have this in the car paperwork.

Cloning does seem a good option. As the rest is a nightmare. Fitting one wheel for 15 minutes may be worth a try. Sounds too good to be true. but would only take about an hour or so to see if it works.

Last edited by unders; 02-08-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

The attachment is from the workshop manual and is intended to reinforce what the moderator said.

Attached Thumbnails TPMS on XKR-tpms.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
DGL (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hailers
The attachment is from the workshop manual and is intended to reinforce what the moderator said.
Thanks I'm going to try it. Where do you get the PDF of the xk from by the way?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

CDs of the manuals are available on eBay