XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Ugh, my first real problem, Even-Numbered Misfires RESOLVED

Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
Cee Jay,

Have you performed a Hard Reset? I would start with that and then see if it will run again. Simple and easy to do.

Fingers Crossed for ya,

Dave
He did in post 16.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I have come to the sad conclusion that SDD is completely and utterly useless for diagnosing ANY problem in an XKR. It gets to the Loading Recommended Candidates in the DTC tab ......
I have a Panasonic CF-28 Toughbook with SDD version 1.45 which has been used on my 2001 XK8, 2005 XK8 and 2007 XK without any problems. When I got my current 2015MY XK in December, I hooked it up to read the DTC history and give it a health check. USELESS! It would inconsistently read the VIN, sometimes requiring manual input and then get as far as loading but no further.

Realising the CF-28 is getting rather ancient, I installed SDD version 1.45 on a spare Compaq NC4200 notebook which was more than adequate for running XP Pro but otherwise redundant. It was faster to open SDD and connect but otherwise made no more progress than before. Suspecting SDD, I updated to version 1.50 and everything then ran as normal.

Jaguar changed the way they deliver SPA (Single Point Authoring) with SDD version 1.51 - the SPA files are no longer available for download from the Diagnostic Delivery Server but are now automatically requested and downloaded as they are required. This, of course, requires a current TOPIx subscription which makes SDD version 1.50 the last one that can be cracked and run completely offline.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Sean W (07-19-2018), Tervuren (07-19-2018), u102768 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
To check for cat problems remove the upstream o2 and inject pressurized air into the pipe using the rag wrapped around the air nozzle trick to seal the hole. Check flow at the tips or back pressure when you unhook the air from the o2 bung. The engine will seal the upstream end.

Sadly with the latest updates I'm leaning more towards your SDD troubleshooting attempt bricked your car.
I figured something like that, but immobile in the garage and me with an unusable back makes it problematic.
I also conjectured that somehow SDD did a nasty, but why now? SDD worked fine before, and I don't have a knock-off cable but the Jaguar Authorized equipment. I sort of think (hope) that SDD just got stuck in a loop. I'm by no way a master at SDD, barely a tinkerer... I will delve into it again some day. I'd figure BRICKED would entail some non-communication with a module or two, but last I saw they were all working fine. I'll find out more later.

Originally Posted by 10XKR
Cee Jay,

Have you performed a Hard Reset? I would start with that and then see if it will run again. Simple and easy to do.

Fingers Crossed for ya,

Dave
Yes I did, right before it would crank and not fire.

Super-bad part is that the 'local' dealer sucks big-time, and is fifty miles away. Next closest is in Las Vegas, 450 miles and I don't know their reputation. Very few Jaguar-capable Indies in Utah, but Forum member Mandrake may have one I could try if I give up (get lazy). Still 70+ miles away though.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts

Are you getting P0232? There is a technical bulletin for that...

I would plug your OBD scanner and check fuel pressure without starting the car. At least you can eliminate fuel pump.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Are you getting P0232? There is a technical bulletin for that...

I would plug your OBD scanner and check fuel pressure without starting the car. At least you can eliminate fuel pump.
Yep, that's the one I got. Good to know, now there is one less thing to worry about. I remember seeing that bulletin before, but completely forgot about it until your post.

I'll go check fuel pressure in a bit.

Edit;
WHEW! NOT Bricked! Ranch, you had me scared for a minute. I checked the fuel pressure, pumped up to about 75 psi or so. I figured 'what the heck' and started it again, and it did. Ran like total **** and Restricted Performance came up again, but I was relieved I got that far. Checked fuel pressure again; still hovering around 75 constantly. Shut 'er off, and of course a stinky gasoline smell. Something not burning it for some reason.

Back pressure from clogged cat causing no O in the chamber? No fire cuz no spark? Evidently getting fuel, so that's out. BUT, since stinky gas fumes evidently the cat isn't THAT blocked, if at all. (sorry, just thinking out loud) IF the cat was partially clogged, there would be enough to at least IDLE. Therefore, probably not Cat.

That leaves No Spark as the only thing left, at least that I can think of right now. It would make sense to me, using my Good-Old-Days thinking. The power output during the limp home was probably about what four good cylinders pulling four bad cylinders would be. Same with the stink.

Therefore, what is the Common Link in the four Even Numbered cylinders? A harness? A connector? Either that or an ECU problem,which I do not want (unless it's cheaper and easier than a harness problem). I am ashamed that I've let engine technology pretty much pass me by in the last five-ten years, I feel like an idiot looking at all this engineering nowadays. Give me a carburetor and distributor any day!

So I guess I have some narrowed-down digging to do. Sucks that I can't lean over a fender (wing) without crying in pain.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-19-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Updated Info
Old 07-19-2018, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Yep, that's the one I got. Good to know, now there is one less thing to worry about. I remember seeing that bulletin before, but completely forgot about it until your post.

I'll go check fuel pressure in a bit.

Edit;
WHEW! NOT Bricked! Ranch, you had me scared for a minute. I checked the fuel pressure, pumped up to about 75 psi or so. I figured 'what the heck' and started it again, and it did. Ran like total **** and Restricted Performance came up again, but I was relieved I got that far. Checked fuel pressure again; still hovering around 75 constantly. Shut 'er off, and of course a stinky gasoline smell. Something not burning it for some reason.

Back pressure from clogged cat causing no O in the chamber? No fire cuz no spark? Evidently getting fuel, so that's out. BUT, since stinky gas fumes evidently the cat isn't THAT blocked, if at all. (sorry, just thinking out loud) IF the cat was partially clogged, there would be enough to at least IDLE. Therefore, probably not Cat.

That leaves No Spark as the only thing left, at least that I can think of right now. It would make sense to me, using my Good-Old-Days thinking. The power output during the limp home was probably about what four good cylinders pulling four bad cylinders would be. Same with the stink.

Therefore, what is the Common Link in the four Even Numbered cylinders? A harness? A connector? Either that or an ECU problem,which I do not want (unless it's cheaper and easier than a harness problem). I am ashamed that I've let engine technology pretty much pass me by in the last five-ten years, I feel like an idiot looking at all this engineering nowadays. Give me a carburetor and distributor any day!

So I guess I have some narrowed-down digging to do. Sucks that I can't lean over a fender (wing) without crying in pain.
Is there a CPS for each bank. May want to check that out

Cee Jay (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Is there a CPS for each bank. May want to check that out
I assume you meant "There is" and not the "Is there"??????? Big difference in those two statements.

I WILL check that out, as I'd assumed (again) that there would only be one. Any heads-up on where it'd be?
Of course, I'd first assume CPS would mean CRANK Position Sensor, but I'm sure it's probably CAM in this case, amirite?

I am SO clueless about these things.......

Course, I DO have the Shop Manual.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-19-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, now wait a dang minute here..........................
Evidently to Jaguar, CPS means Cam Profile Switching (evidently for non-R, VVT engines. See, I'm not a COMPLETE moron), and not Crank Position Sensor like in Literally EVERY OTHER CAR.

THEREFORE, I will go back and assume it IS a Crank Sensor. How would I search the Workshop Manual for that if CPS is already taken?
OR, instead of my incessant whining and crying, who wants to come here and fix my stuff FOR me????

gggrrrrrr................

aaannndddddd, another Edit;

Jaguar (ggrrrr) calls the Crank Position Sensor "CKP" instead of renaming their Cam Profile Solenoids something else and leaving CPS as Crank, as it SHOULD remain.
ANYWAY, here is the Removal/Install procedures from the WM, if anyone cares. I mostly think it's funny as there ISN'T any procedure noted:

Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-19-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

(Anyone sick of all my stupid posts yet???)
Anyway, that procedure above got me to notice that evidently there is only ONE "CKP" on this thing, so that couldn't be the problem since the other side fires fine. Plus, why does Jaguar have the need to call the "Flex Plate" a "Drive Plate"? I know, I know, "I'll take a lorry to the circus, buy a spot, then put my bangers & mash into the boot. After a time, Bob's your Uncle." Oh, my giddy Aunt.....

Crazy Brits.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

There is only 1 crank shaft so that makes sense. Are there 2 cam shafts? If so maybe a CPS (Cam position sensor) may be the cause?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 110reef
There is only 1 crank shaft so that makes sense. Are there 2 cam shafts? If so maybe a CPS (Cam position sensor) may be the cause?
Four cams, and nothing that would affect anything but valvetrain stuff. Anything from the CKP (ugh) would go into the ECM and go out to the coils as a unit, so there is nothing wrong in that respect.
So, I'm still looking at either Coils or ECM. However, there are no ECM DTCs present, so probably not that.

Maybe, just maybe, I will find something easy..... once I start digging. Not yet though, still feel like crap. Thanks a lot, Jovi. <--grand daughter who got me sick.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Is there a fuel filter on each side?

Sorry, I am just not familiar with these engines, but am thinking of a single point failure that is common to all of one side of the motor but not the other.

Cee Jay (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

No dual fuel filters. On the 3.9 Jag engine (baby 4.2) the coil packs are fed from the rear under the vanity covers through some really spindly wiring. I however have no idea on the 5.0 but I'd look into it if I were you. I'd pop the lids off and inspect them. Very possible you have a common power wire cut.

Cee Jay (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Do I have a corrupted version of the Shop Manual??? There seems to be a LOT of text missing.
To Whit:https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...71eb4f578f.jpg

THERE ARE NO STEPS!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:
I just went into the Stickie section and found the forum's MediaFire page and downloaded that handbook........
NO STEPS!!!! They are all blank!

I know everything in this post is all sorts of jumbled-up. This new format in the FORUM is making it get all screwy.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-19-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Screw it. This new Forums Format is MESSING WITH the format, and I'm tired of trying to fix it. You get what you get.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Okay, now wait a dang minute here..........................
Evidently to Jaguar, CPS means Cam Profile Switching (evidently for non-R, VVT engines. See, I'm not a COMPLETE moron), and not Crank Position Sensor like in Literally EVERY OTHER CAR.

THEREFORE, I will go back and assume it IS a Crank Sensor. How would I search the Workshop Manual for that if CPS is already taken?
OR, instead of my incessant whining and crying, who wants to come here and fix my stuff FOR me????

gggrrrrrr................

aaannndddddd, another Edit;

Jaguar (ggrrrr) calls the Crank Position Sensor "CKP" instead of renaming their Cam Profile Solenoids something else and leaving CPS as Crank, as it SHOULD remain.
ANYWAY, here is the Removal/Install procedures from the WM, if anyone cares. I mostly think it's funny as there ISN'T any procedure noted:
Camshaft Position Sensor is CMP. I think they're behind the thermostat assembly.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Camshaft Position Sensor is CMP. I think they're behind the thermostat assembly.
You are correct. There is a picture of them in the Manual, but no procedure to remove them even though the procedure is 'given'. It's totally blank.
HOWEVER, and due to Jaguar's ridiculous acronyms which don't correspond to reason, and because Sean said this, I found:

And since I now know where they are (even though the text is missing from my WM) I can locate and check these dastardly things. Since TWO of them, I can compare the Ohms readings.
Cool, man. This is the sort of stuff that helps.
Of course, my WM has no actual STEPS to this, but the graphic helps.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

THERE ARE NO STEPS!!!!!!!!
Yep, guess Jaguar assumed techs grew up on comic books, they can interpret pictures, even it they never learned how to read.
The ACM Installation instructions were the same, all drawings, no text.
Guess Jaguar took the statement "A picture is worth a thousand words" to heart!

Cee Jay (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Don't know if it's related but this might be worth a read https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-done-203923/

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Cee Jay (07-19-2018), Sean W (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Don't know if it's related but this might be worth a read https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-done-203923/
Reading now, lots of stuff. Same as mine but other side.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Alrighty then..... that X250 forum OP had the same symptoms as I do, but the opposite side. He found out that ONE bad injector, stuck open, can flood that one cylinder causing all that fuel smell that I smelled. And in doing so, reduces the rail pressure enough to cause the OTHER three injectors to have insufficient pressure to, well, inject. That guy had one injector replaced and all was well.

SO, there's another possibility for my whoppin' good times.

Sean W (07-20-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ugh, my first real problem, Even-Numbered Misfires RESOLVED