XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Ugh, my first real problem, Even-Numbered Misfires RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

My question relating to whether there were 2 crank position sensors comes from my old Ferrari days. Their V8's with 2 distributors would have 2 crank pos sensors. One for each bank. As for engines with COP I would believe there is only one CPS but didn't know if each bank were triggered separately.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

If an injector is stuck open wouldn't it be possible to detect some fuel smell in the engine oil from cylinder wash down? It maybe worth a check.

Cee Jay (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Alrighty then..... that X250 forum OP had the same symptoms as I do, but the opposite side. He found out that ONE bad injector, stuck open, can flood that one cylinder causing all that fuel smell that I smelled. And in doing so, reduces the rail pressure enough to cause the OTHER three injectors to have insufficient pressure to, well, inject. That guy had one injector replaced and all was well.

SO, there's another possibility for my whoppin' good times.
I read that thread too last night. Makes sense to me... So carbon buildup in the injector was the supposed suspect. Interesting on a car with so little miles. Cee Jay, do you get good detergent gas where you're at?

Old 07-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Makes sense.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I sort of mix fuel 'qualities' (actually 'additives', since they all come from the same pipe) dependent on where I am at the time. Probably a half-'good' and half 'normal' type of situation.
I do probably more than not have shorter trips of less than 10 miles. Trips over 15 miles are not common, but do happen every so often, so there is a distinct possibility of carbon.

shemp (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

I sort of mix fuel 'qualities' (actually 'additives', since they all come from the same pipe) dependent on where I am at the time. Probably a half-'good' and half 'normal' type of situation.
I do probably more than not have shorter trips of less than 10 miles. Trips over 15 miles are not common, but do happen every so often, so there is a distinct possibility of carbon.
thanks. Thinking of myself here. Similar situation for me. Mostly short trips. I use Shell super with Nitro or Chevron Super exclusively though, and throw in a bottle of Techron once a year.

Cee Jay (09-04-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
If an injector is stuck open wouldn't it be possible to detect some fuel smell in the engine oil from cylinder wash down? It maybe worth a check.
Good post!
I pulled off the cap and the odor of a refinery hit my snout. So now after I get the injector(s) swapped, I get to do an oil change. wwweeeee........

Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Good post!
I pulled off the cap and the odor of a refinery hit my snout. So now after I get the injector(s) swapped, I get to do an oil change. wwweeeee........
That is sounding more and more like my experience in the XJL, only I had to have the whole rail replaced, not just the injectors. I hope your experience is less painful and less expensive than was mine.

Cee Jay (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You know all this but may overlook in the fog of it all.
Keep an eye on that gasoline in the oil. It can add significant volume to your oil. My double barrel had the secondary butterfly sticking open and the oil I pulled out of there was 2 qts above capacity.
It will swell up newer seals.

How abouts taking the car (on trailer) to a fuel injection cleaning service- you have nothing to lose, and other injectors to save.
Since you have this problem, I suspect you dont worship PEA detergent. It really does dissolve carbon and the only thing effectively known to do so.
Do you know these guys. Fuel Injector Service-Fuel Injector Cleaning, Fuel Injector Testing

Old 07-21-2018, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You know all this but may overlook in the fog of it all.
Keep an eye on that gasoline in the oil. It can add significant volume to your oil. My double barrel had the secondary butterfly sticking open and the oil I pulled out of there was 2 qts above capacity.
It will swell up newer seals.

How abouts taking the car (on trailer) to a fuel injection cleaning service- you have nothing to lose, and other injectors to save.
Since you have this problem, I suspect you dont worship PEA detergent. It really does dissolve carbon and the only thing effectively known to do so.
Do you know these guys. Fuel Injector Service-Fuel Injector Cleaning, Fuel Injector Testing
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-our-gasoline/

HillmoorPete (07-28-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

Completely agree with you and go beyond....
Absolutely none of the gasolines have any real detergent in reality.
My truck has a funny injection system, it has 8 injectors spraying in the intake where each intake feeds the cylinders.
So its one of the few engines where you actually get to see the results gasoline or its cleaning ability.
I have only used top shelf and religiously run PEA through it on top of all that.
When I took the engine apart I was shocked to find how much sticky varnish there was.
It took 2 days of soaking in acid and degreaser to get it clean.
I believe fuel cleans less than it leaves gum and varnish.
Will post pics- they are worth a thousand words

Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Completely agree with you and go beyond....
Absolutely none of the gasolines have any real detergent in reality.
My truck has a funny injection system, it has 8 injectors spraying in the intake where each intake feeds the cylinders.
So its one of the few engines where you actually get to see the results gasoline or its cleaning ability.
I have only used top shelf and religiously run PEA through it on top of all that.
When I took the engine apart I was shocked to find how much sticky varnish there was.
It took 2 days of soaking in acid and degreaser to get it clean.
I believe fuel cleans less than it leaves gum and varnish.
Will post pics- they are worth a thousand words
Wait. That article said that Top Tier gas does indeed help keep the intake clean. Not arguing because I have no proof either way, but what did I miss....?

Cee Jay, what's the status?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
Wait. That article said that Top Tier gas does indeed help keep the intake clean. Not arguing because I have no proof either way, but what did I miss....?
Basically what they are saying is that while all retailers source gasoline from the same suppliers, each brand has their own proprietary blend of additives and some are better than others at deposit control.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

What I find interesting is old school diesels with mechanical pumps don't suffer from this condition. Granted the injection timing could go off if one injector lost spring pressure and popped off early but they are generally million mile reliable, far more than electrical coil fired ones in diesels of gasser's.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Cee Jay, what's the status?
I've been sicker than crap this past week, the worst cold I've ever had in my life. Sad thing is, I caught it from my Grand Daughter who is 1-1/2. If SHE had the same miserable time as I have had, I feel REALLY bad for her.

Anyway, now that I can ALMOST speak coherently, I'm going to contact that semi-local indie guy and see about towing this monstrosity to him. Screw the dealer, ESPECIALLY Ken Garff Downtown. They SUCK.

I sort of feel like a loser because I'm positive that I'm quite capable to do the fix myself, but my debilitating back pain makes it nightmarish to stand for too long, and then add the leaning over the engine bay and I'd be crying within an hour.
Oh well, money ain't nuthin' but a thing.

About that 'top tier' fuel keeping the intake clean......... how would it when 'gas' doesn't enter the intake? That's only air in there, since Direct Injection. Sure, some residual mixes, both burnt and unburnt may manage to squeak up above the valves, but not much.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, and MY idea to keep some nice fresh clean intake valves.......
Install an Intake Tube Wet Nitrous Kit!!!!
I've been thinking about that for a couple years now, just for fun. a tiny 100-shot isn't much. Hell, any little four-popper can handle THAT.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

what did I miss....?
I was adding from empirical evidence- dont be surprised if the cleaning claims of any product falls waaay below expectation

They capitalize on human emotion. By saying in 1000miles they were completely able to reverse accumulation on intake valves.
We naturally draw conclusions that its doing wonders elsewhere too. Nope.
(and in our case its not even touching the intake valves)

shemp (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

I was adding from empirical evidence- dont be surprised if the cleaning claims of any product falls waaay below expectation

They capitalize on human emotion. By saying in 1000miles they were completely able to reverse accumulation on intake valves.
We naturally draw conclusions that its doing wonders elsewhere too. Nope.
(and in our case its not even touching the intake valves)
Agree. My stance: I've read about some tests done that show that some detergents actually do help clean, or at the least, slow down buildup, so why not use those detergents whenever possible, especially when the manufacturer recommends it (not sure if JLR does though but If I'm gonna dump 91+ in it, might as well get the good stuff...). Can only hurt my wallet... hopefully!

Then again, I've used supermarket brand regular 87 Octane with a dose of Techron every 4-5k miles in my 2002 Yukon since new (5.3L). 170k miles. Mobile1 oil every 5-6k. Still runs strong and smooth.....

Feel better Cee Jay. We are all patiently waiting on the cause and fix of your issue so get on it

Old 07-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It may not be to much of an advantage for the direct port injection motors. It won't help the back of the valves much but maybe help the injectors.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

I have a slot at that shop for Tuesday. They have a former Jaguar tech there and when I talked to him he just babbled off a WHOLE bunch of stuff about everything Jaguar that I'd never even heard of before. A twenty second conversation pretty much impressed the hell outa me, in regards to Jag knowledge.
Therefore, more to follow on .... Thursday? Maybe even Wednesday, at least for the diagnosis.

Quick Reply: Ugh, my first real problem, Even-Numbered Misfires RESOLVED