Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   VVT Solenoid seal replacement question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/vvt-solenoid-seal-replacement-question-175691/)

Geosnooker2000 01-24-2017 01:52 PM

VVT Solenoid seal replacement question (about disconnecting the connectors)

For those of you that have done it, someone in another sub-forum was talking about this very thing, and the question was raised - how do you disconnect the two wire lead from the top of the solenoid so that you can remove and replace the seal? He was saying he didn't see the standard "click and remove" connector like in other places. I have a 2007 XK, and don't want to tear anything up trying to disconnect it.

Geosnooker2000 01-24-2017 10:01 PM

I've tried twice tonight, squeezing the back end of the tab in, and pulling. Nothing. Do I need to stick a small thin screw driver in from the back and pry OUT?

kj07xk 01-25-2017 08:42 AM

That's one thing that I don't like about my XK, is that every electrical connector that I've encountered has been different. I've probably faced close to a dozen, and they're all different (squeeze this, push that, poke here). Either they got a bargain on odd-lots of connectors at Connectors-R-Us, and just randomly throw them in, or they designed a car that can be put together by monkeys, since any connector can only fit one place.
Just makes taking these things apart a real PITA!
Sorry, no experience with the VVT, just had to rant about the damn connectors.

Sean W 01-25-2017 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 1608462)
That's one thing that I don't like about my XK, is that every electrical connector that I've encountered has been different. I've probably faced close to a dozen, and they're all different (squeeze this, push that, poke here). Either they got a bargain on odd-lots of connectors at Connectors-R-Us, and just randomly throw them in, or they designed a car that can be put together by monkeys, since any connector can only fit one place.
Just makes taking these things apart a real PITA!
Sorry, no experience with the VVT, just had to rant about the damn connectors.

leftovers from their Lucas contracts I suppose. Thank God that era is gone.

Geosnooker2000 01-26-2017 01:40 PM

So, no one here has disconnected the VVT on an 07 XK? Please, if you have, take a moment and tell me/us how before I break this damned thing unintentionally. My new seals should be arriving tomorrow.

Geosnooker2000 02-02-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000 (Post 1609210)
So, no one here has disconnected the VVT on an 07 XK? Please, if you have, take a moment and tell me/us how before I break this damned thing unintentionally. My new seals should be arriving tomorrow.

I figured it out without breaking anything. Use a small screwdriver to pry up tab at the head of the clip, not the tail of the clip, while pushing clip off with the screwdriver and pulling with the other hand (rocking back and forth).

Sean W 06-08-2019 12:00 PM

I need to replace the VVT solenoid seal on the passenger side. It requires removal of the valve cover. Then replacement of VC gasket certainly, spark plug aperture gaskets, PCV o-ring, the valve cover bolt ring seals. Does anyone know if these come as a kit or do I need to purchase separately?

Edit: Disregard, I found kits that include the valve cover gasket, spark plug and valve cover bolt seals. I can then just order the VVT solenoid seal and PCV o-ring separately. They didn't show up in my initial search which was weird because I see them on three local auto parts stores now. Maybe I misspelled "kit":icon_handball:

myexcursion 06-08-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 2082236)
I need to replace the VVT solenoid seal on the passenger side. It requires removal of the valve cover. Then replacement of VC gasket certainly, spark plug aperture gaskets, PCV o-ring, the valve cover bolt ring seals. Does anyone know if these come as a kit or do I need to purchase separately?

Edit: Disregard, I found kits that include the valve cover gasket, spark plug and valve cover bolt seals. I can then just order the VVT solenoid seal and PCV o-ring separately. They didn't show up in my initial search which was weird because I see them on three local auto parts stores now. Maybe I misspelled "kit":icon_handball:

Would love to see this job documented with photos etc and made into a sticky ... seems like it’s somehting that might be occurring more frequently as these cars go past the 10 year mark...

Sean W 06-08-2019 02:53 PM

If I do it, I'll take a few pics and pointers if necessary and some part numbers.

kj07XK did a nice write up on the left side (valve covers) and that's the tougher side.

I'm pulling the under scuttle tomorrow in part to replace the accessory drive belt. Although I'm going to do it from the top, it looks like it's better viewed from underneath. At any rate, I'll do the usual visual for leaks once I have it on the lift. If it's bad enough (for me), I'll order parts. From up top it just looks a bit wet, not dripping. Anyway, here's the write up.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-leak-199975/

Sean W 06-09-2019 01:34 PM

This is too minor to invest the time or money. It's wet around the seal and slightly aft of the solenoid. There's nothing underneath on the passenger side. I've sprayed some cleaner on it and wait. It could just have been a bit dry from storage.

Geosnooker2000 06-09-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 2082620)
This is too minor to invest the time or money. It's wet around the seal and slightly aft of the solenoid. There's nothing underneath on the passenger side. I've sprayed some cleaner on it and wait. It could just have been a bit dry from storage.

Well, as I posted in post #6, there is no need to remove the valve covers to replace these seals. You just have to unplug the electrical connectors, pull the sensors, and replace the round seals. Put them back in, plug them up, and you are GTG. Mine are still leak-free. The date on the first post in this thread is how long ago I did it.

Sean W 06-09-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000 (Post 2082649)
Well, as I posted in post #6, there is no need to remove the valve covers to replace these seals. You just have to unplug the electrical connectors, pull the sensors, and replace the round seals. Put them back in, plug them up, and you are GTG. Mine are still leak-free. The date on the first post in this thread is how long ago I did it.

My misread then. I thought you were still talking about how to remove the electrical connector. I see where you note "so you can remove and replace the seal" but I interpreted that to mean disconnect the electrical connector so you could remove the valve cover to get to the solenoid. My mistake so I know what to do. Don't know why I thought the VC had to be removed. Thank you!

Sean W 12-05-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by myexcursion (Post 2082278)
Would love to see this job documented with photos etc and made into a sticky ... seems like it’s somehting that might be occurring more frequently as these cars go past the 10 year mark...

I don't think it's sticky worthy but here's some pics. Once the plug is disconnected, the seal can be removed as Geosnooker2000 said. Your VVT solenoid stays put and the seal just lifts out, in case that's not clear. It's pressed in. A small screwdriver might be needed to prise under the seal and get it started if it's a little baked on. Took all of 5 minutes.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d6f9e8ca74.jpg
Here's the seal as it will sit in the valve cover

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5e63f3917b.jpg
Side view
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...aa9a0ff420.jpg
Remove plug by squeezing the tab at the bottom where my index finger is

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5db3e3a21b.jpg
Here's a good look at the seal with the VVT solenoid unplugged. As I mention above, the seal just pulls straight up.

AlexJag 12-06-2019 10:32 PM

If intake tube is out of the way. It took me 20seconds to get this seal replaced , snap old one out , snap new in, Done..

Sean W 12-07-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJag (Post 2163640)
If intake tube is out of the way. It took me 20seconds to get this seal replaced , snap old one out , snap new in, Done..

You win

AlexJag 12-07-2019 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 2163875)
You win

:) In my case the seal poped out as soon as I tuched it with a screwdriver , wish all the maintenance items were this easy..

Sean W 12-07-2019 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJag (Post 2163978)
:) In my case the seal poped out as soon as I tuched it with a screwdriver , wish all the maintenance items were this easy..

ain't that the truth.

steve_k_xk 05-22-2023 11:14 PM

I mine 2yrs ago and it came as a kit when I did the chains...has anyone got the part number for these need to swap mine out again

Sean W 05-23-2023 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk (Post 2644824)
I mine 2yrs ago and it came as a kit when I did the chains...has anyone got the part number for these need to swap mine out again

AJ82856

steve_k_xk 05-23-2023 02:56 PM

Thanks Sean !