XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warped door panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warped door panel

I noticed that there is a gap opened between the upper/forward part of the passenger door panel, and the window channel and upper speaker. Less than 1/2 inch, but annoying. So I pulled the panel out, and reset it in. First time I closed the door it popped out again. First two upper forward clips. Pulled out and reset again, carefully. This time lasted until the second close. So searched here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-warped-88316/
and figured out that I had the warp problem.

My question: Has anyone come up with a solution other than 1: Paying about $1000 for a replacement or, 2: Just living with it? Was wondering if perhaps some combination of bending, and heat, but I don't know. As long as it doesn't get worse, I will likely just live with it rather than spend that much money. Though if someone knows of a used spare in good shape, slate and ivory, I'm open to that.

Thanks, Mark

Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Can you post a picture of what that looks like?
When I got my car, the upper speaker on the passenger door was loose and rattled, so I pressed it in to reseat it, but it looks 'funny' compared to the driver door side.
I haven't gotten back to relook at it. Maybe its just not set right, or maybe I have the same/similar problem.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM

Here are photos of driver (good) and passenger (warped) panels. Showing both where they fit against the speaker grills, and the window channels. The speaker grills are mounted correctly. The photos just make them look an odd angle. As I say, its not a huge gap,less than 1/2 inch, just annoying. Hoping it doesn't increase over time, though. Ideas anyone?

Attached Thumbnails Warped door panel-imag0950.jpg   Warped door panel-imag0949.jpg   Warped door panel-imag0951.jpg   Warped door panel-imag0948.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Have you tried replacing the mounting clips with new? They are not expensive. They tend to weaken each time they are removed.

PhantomsPhorever (04-25-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

These little things that are imperfect on our "pride and joy's" are so annoying!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomsPhorever
... The speaker grills are mounted correctly. ... Ideas anyone?
Ok, looks just like mine. I thought maybe I had messed up the speaker 're-seating', but apparently not. It's another thing on my list to look into when I get a chance (thanks WhiteXKR for the suggestion about the door clips, that's a possibility).
Since I'm in the driver's seat I don't see it often, but it does detract from the 'perfection' one tries to show a passenger.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

My 07 is the same too although in my case that is the drivers side so right in front of my eyes. Does the whole door card have to be unclipped to try reseating it?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 AM

RE: new clips......Thanks for that. Its the next thing on the list to try, when I get around to it. I'm not terribly hopeful though, as the panel seems to be warped, but its an inexpensive thing to try.

RE: pulling the entire panel off......Not for me. But will likely need to pull away most, if not all, of the top of the panel from the top of the door in order to have enough space to replace even just the front one or two clips. But I found out the hard way it helps to have a helper to make sure that the panel doesn't slip out of your hands if the bottom fasteners do pop out. There are two cables, one electric and one door opener, and my experience is that the door opener one has fragile tips. So just proceed slowly and carefully. You can disconnect them if you want to pull the entire panel off, though.

Also, for less than $10 I purchased a set of plastic trim removal tools from my local auto parts store. Very helpful in removing the panel while not damaging it.

u102768 (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomsPhorever
RE: new clips......Thanks for that. Its the next thing on the list to try, when I get around to it. I'm not terribly hopeful though, as the panel seems to be warped, but its an inexpensive thing to try.

RE: pulling the entire panel off......Not for me. But will likely need to pull away most, if not all, of the top of the panel from the top of the door in order to have enough space to replace even just the front one or two clips. But I found out the hard way it helps to have a helper to make sure that the panel doesn't slip out of your hands if the bottom fasteners do pop out. There are two cables, one electric and one door opener, and my experience is that the door opener one has fragile tips. So just proceed slowly and carefully. You can disconnect them if you want to pull the entire panel off, though.

Also, for less than $10 I purchased a set of plastic trim removal tools from my local auto parts store. Very helpful in removing the panel while not damaging it.
These are also very helpful for panel removal from Harbor Freight: Panel Clip Pliers

I see you are in N. VA. I am in Arlington. Give me a shout if you want a hand with it.

Stuart S (04-25-2015)