Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Washer pumps not working on my XKR (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/washer-pumps-not-working-my-xkr-220167/)

Jungocat 07-07-2019 08:53 AM

Washer pumps not working on my XKR

Hey everyone,

After troubleshooting this myself and then again by a local Jag shop, I went ahead and purchased a new washer pump motor for the windshield (the headlight washer pump WAS working at the time). I then replaced the pump and now neither of the pumps work. I checked the fuses as per the manual and they are intact.

Any suggestions before I head back to my mechanic??

Reverend Sam 07-07-2019 11:27 AM

The headlight washer pump doesn't come on every time you squirt the windshield. I don't know the exact parameters. Maybe the headlights have to be on? I'm not sure.

Do you have a multimeter? I think you need to check the voltage at the washer pump connector. If you don't have voltage there, I'd check the fuse with the meter. Fuses can look good even though they aren't. If you DO have voltage at the pump connector, maybe you just got a bad pump.

In the stickies at the top of this forum you'll find the electrical guide. Open it up in Acrobat reader and search for "washer". I got 10 hits. It looks like a pretty simple system, so it should be easy to figure out.

Jungocat 07-07-2019 02:50 PM

Washer pump

Thanks. I think my multimeter isn’t working! That could be an issue for sure. I got the headlight washers working. It’s a weird 1/6 activation thing.

Cee Jay 07-07-2019 03:06 PM

Read the manual????

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...80c043d20f.jpg

Reverend Sam 07-07-2019 04:27 PM

Cee Jay, some people buy used cars and the manual is missing. Or they are posting from work and the manual is in their car, in their garage, at their house 20 miles away.

I've been on other forums (saabcentral.com) where the members were absolute jerks to people who joined and asked questions. The regular members would belittle anyone who asked a question with comments like "read the damn manual, we're not your babysitter", "Did you try using the search function?", and "This question has been answered already!"

That was really weird to me. I went from jaguarforums to saabcentral (and other forums) and the members on those forums were assholes and typical internet trolls. I rarely posted on those forums, and if I did, I made sure I did my research first. Every one of those forums was slow and dull, with not many posts per day. I only used them when I had to because I wasn't going to subject myself to the abuse.

Jungocat only has 13 posts in a year of membership. I hope that's not because when he first joined to ask a question someone told him to read the manual.

Jungocat 07-08-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2095469)
Cee Jay, some people buy used cars and the manual is missing. Or they are posting from work and the manual is in their car, in their garage, at their house 20 miles away.

I've been on other forums (saabcentral.com) where the members were absolute jerks to people who joined and asked questions. The regular members would belittle anyone who asked a question with comments like "read the damn manual, we're not your babysitter", "Did you try using the search function?", and "This question has been answered already!"

That was really weird to me. I went from jaguarforums to saabcentral (and other forums) and the members on those forums were assholes and typical internet trolls. I rarely posted on those forums, and if I did, I made sure I did my research first. Every one of those forums was slow and dull, with not many posts per day. I only used them when I had to because I wasn't going to subject myself to the abuse.

Jungocat only has 13 posts in a year of membership. I hope that's not because when he first joined to ask a question someone told him to read the manual.

Thanks Reverend:) How did you know I was detached from my manual?:) I did know the silly sequence of the headlight washers.....and the 10 min gap between usage - that makes sense......to a Jag engineer maybe. I solved it - poor connection.

The issue still remains with the regular (now replaced) washer pump. I have a few more tricks to try today - and when I post the solution, whether I look like a dope or not is still TBD;)

Sean W 07-08-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jungocat (Post 2095272)
I checked the fuses as per the manual and they are intact.

I'm also not a fan of sarcasm unless it's in fun. Cee Jay tends to lead the pack in that regard with his love of all things Apple and Michelin and I'm sure he's self aware, however, you indicated you had the manual in your above quote. The specific page with the relevant info was therefore referenced by him. Everyone has their style. Getting/giving help is ultimately what's important. Nuff said I hope.

Regarding looking like a dope once you solve, not to worry. I lead the pack in that regard and curious to see how you solve it.

badicedog 07-17-2019 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jungocat (Post 2095857)
Thanks Reverend:) How did you know I was detached from my manual?:) I did know the silly sequence of the headlight washers.....and the 10 min gap between usage - that makes sense......to a Jag engineer maybe. I solved it - poor connection.

The issue still remains with the regular (now replaced) washer pump. I have a few more tricks to try today - and when I post the solution, whether I look like a dope or not is still TBD;)

What sequence do you speak of? I read the manual and still can't figure out the headlight washers....lol

fezco999 02-19-2022 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jungocat (Post 2095272)
Hey everyone,

After troubleshooting this myself and then again by a local Jag shop, I went ahead and purchased a new washer pump motor for the windshield (the headlight washer pump WAS working at the time). I then replaced the pump and now neither of the pumps work. I checked the fuses as per the manual and they are intact.

Any suggestions before I head back to my mechanic??

hi jungocat,

unrelated to the correction however relation to parts:

i am wanting to know where you had ordered your part for the washer pump, mine seems to just drizzle out like small toddler drawling on to my windshield.

any help would be great.

thanks

Stuart S 02-19-2022 09:21 AM

fezco999,
You're in Scotland and Jungocat is in Canada. Why pay shipping from Canada?

One of this Forum's sponsors is SNG Barratt, a parts vendor headquartered in the UK. I suggest that you call them, and ask if there's discount for a Forum member.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk/home

Good luck! :icon_beerchug:

Stuart

Stuart S 02-19-2022 09:24 AM

Before buying a new pump, make sure that there's no blockage in the line from the pump to the windshield.

GGG 02-19-2022 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by fezco999 (Post 2498484)
..... washer pump, mine seems to just drizzle out like small toddler drawling on to my windshield. .....

Welcome to the forums fezco999,

The windscreen and headlamp washer pumps usually either work or fail - they generally don't slow down. I'd take the wheelarch liner off, disconnect the outlet pipe (arrowed in red) and check pump delivery before buying a new one.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...513f44852a.jpg

As Stuart suggests, it could be a blockage in the line.

Graham

fezco999 02-19-2022 10:16 AM

thank you both Stuart and GGG for the assistance,

i will keep you updated on outcome.

fezco999

sjpalm 10-03-2022 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by fezco999 (Post 2498525)
thank you both Stuart and GGG for the assistance,

i will keep you updated on outcome.

fezco999

Hi Fezco,

what was the solution please?

I have the same issue.

fezco999 10-04-2022 05:27 AM

HI SJPALM,

the issue was resolved by cleaning out the pipes and replacing the motor, (i replaced the motor to be on the safe side, was not needed to be replaced) .

very annoying to get to as you need to remove a few things to gain access. but a proper mechanic can do this.

Regards