Sponsored by: DashLynx

what happens to you OBD II Gauge App if you shut off your phone

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts
Default what happens to you OBD II Gauge App if you shut off your phone

For those of you who have Torque Pro, Dashboard or any other gauge apps -

1) Can you tell me what happens if you shut off your phone while driving then re-start the phone? Does the app resume if you start it again like nothing happened?

2) Also, would someone who has an OBDII bluetooth setup and app be willing to test something for me?

Request is to go to Google play and add "Auto Start" app to your android phone, then open it and set your gauge app (whichever you use) to auto start when the phone turns on.

Then, while driving the car, turn off the phone and restart it. I would like to know if the auto gauges resume or not.

My query is for android only. I have a dongle on order but thought the collective experience, some may already know this info.
Thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I'm not clear on what you mean by "shut off your phone". do you mean turn off and reboot the phone or do you mean just go to another app or thirdly do you meant to shut down and restart the blue tooth app? Fourth potential - Shut down app and restart?

Also there are numerous auto start apps in google play. Which one do you mean?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I'm not clear on what you mean by "shut off your phone". do you mean turn off and reboot the phone or do you mean just go to another app or thirdly do you meant to shut down and restart the blue tooth app? Fourth potential - Shut down app and restart?

Also there are numerous auto start apps in google play. Which one do you mean?
Thanks Ralph. I meant turn off the phone while the app is running, then re-boot the phone. "Auto Start - no root" by Guro Labs" is the specific name I was looking at but your correct, it doesn't matter which you use.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Sean - I have put the app on my Galaxy 6 Edge and will try it out tomorrow or the next day and let you know what happens. Ralph

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (01-07-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Sean - I have put the app on my Galaxy 6 Edge and will try it out tomorrow or the next day and let you know what happens. Ralph
Thank you very much Ralph.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Sean - Well I shutdown my Galaxy S6E today and rebooted it with Torque running. Torque did not open automatically. However, I don't think I had Autostart running. So, I will do the experiment again tomorrow after making sure that autostart is up.

Sean W (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

There is a setting in the Torque App that starts the app if Bluetooth detects activity, but it'd need to be the OBD2 dongle and not the actual CAR.

Sean W (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
There is a setting in the Torque App that starts the app if Bluetooth detects activity, but it'd need to be the OBD2 dongle and not the actual CAR.
Good to know Cee Jay, thanks. I'm really trying to find out if the phone is shut off before shutting down the app, while the engine is running, then the phone is rebooted, will the app resume? Ralph will confirm. I suspect it won't and will have to come up for a workaround on my project if that's the case.

Also, can I ask, can you configure Torque Pro to boot up right to the gauges screen?

Old 01-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I just went out and tried it again with Autostart opened and paired to Torque. The app was still live after the reboot; although I had to go to it to bring it up on the screen. I didn't have to restart it. Several other apps stayed open as well. I had not paired them to autostart.

Sean W (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ralph. Very much appreciated.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I guess you could confuse the app as the car's state may well have changed from what the app has.

I'd choose to start the app fresh so it connects and sorts the state out properly.

Sean W (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'd choose to start the app fresh so it connects and sorts the state out properly.
Agreed. I'm trying to determine if the app is adaptable to emulate the HKS Camp 2 gauges. So this is a project of mine.
I've determined by Ralph's feedback that the app needs time to shut down properly. I have a solution for that.

I also want to find out if the app can be booted directly to the gauge screen. I realize some use the app to log data, clear codes etc...

So if there's an app out there, be it Torque Pro, Dash Command, etc... That can boot directly to the gauge screen upon launch and bypass the menu, that's the one I'll ultimately go with.

I have a BT dongle on order and I'm guessing most of the free app versions won't have the capability so if anyone knows and can save me some time, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I guess with each post I think I can see what you are trying to achieve. What I guess is you are looking to set up a cell phone as a gauge panel and leave a BT dongle plugged in all of the time. The intent is for the app to start as soon as you start the car and act like a normal gauge set. Is that the net of your experiment?
For me I use the torque pro on occasion just to verify engine parameters . As I mentioned I check fluids whenever I take the car out so I am not to concerned unless I get a catastrophic failure. If this happens I will get enough dash lights to safely shut down the car.

Sean W (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I guess with each post I think I can see what you are trying to achieve. What I guess is you are looking to set up a cell phone as a gauge panel and leave a BT dongle plugged in all of the time. The intent is for the app to start as soon as you start the car and act like a normal gauge set. Is that the net of your experiment?
Conceptually yes Jagtoes, the app will boot and the gauges would display on startup.

If that's doable, I will attempt to take it further and display said gauges on the touch screen. If it's not, then my project will probably dead.

I'll know soon enough when I get the dongle. I just assumed that someone on the forum has already done it, as it would seem to be a PIA to get to those gauges every time you start the car (for those that use them all the time).

Old 01-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Sean - Although Torque opens right back to the dials screen, the data on the screen is not current when it opens. Shortly thereafter it reconnects with reader and new up to date data is shown. Hope this helps.

Sean W (01-07-2017)