XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Like the question says. Sure you could have purchased a different car but instead you chose to purchase a Jag instead. What was your decision ?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Styling, power, great 2 yr lease and very important to me true cooled seats.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
Like the question says. Sure you could have purchased a different car but instead you chose to purchase a Jag instead. What was your decision ?
Simple. The Jaguar XK is one of the most beautiful automobiles on the face of the planet, period...

I have owned mine for well over a year and every time I look at it, the car still takes my breath away. What else needs be said?

The following users liked this post:
bigoshin (02-13-2023)
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
Simple. The Jaguar XK is one of the most beautiful automobiles on the face of the planet, period...

I have owned mine for well over a year and every time I look at it, the car still takes my breath away. What else needs be said?
Agreed!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Always loved the look of the E-type, just never thought there would be another car that looked so good. We were looking at Porsche's when my wife saw an XKR on a lot. I didn't know they existed before that. She slid into the passenger seat and gushed, "I'm a Jaguar girl!" I drove it and when i put my foot down at about 40 MPH and the car LAUNCHED me down the road, I was reminded, I'm a V-8 guy! Four days later we bought our first XKR. It's BEAUTIFUL.

Last edited by Abby's Guy; 03-21-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For me it's all about the styling. Looks better than any MB or Bimmer in the same price range, even when they have more power than my XK. This is a car with emotion and character. The others don't even come close.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

While on vacation in Naples Florida I dropped into an AM, Maserati, Bentley, Jaguar dealership with a Porsche dealer next door, and Mercedes and Audi dealers not far away. While scrutinizing the subtle differences between the DB9 and Vantage I kept getting drawn to the XKR parked prominently in another area. The XKR was like a magnet, and I was surprised to find I actually liked the styling more than either Aston in some ways...but Jaguar still wasn't really on my radar at that time.

I then carefully looked at a couple of dozen 911 versions, new and used, but I couldn't get excited about any of them. Mercedes left me cold, as did Audi. All cars I respect, and I'm glad almost everyone else buys, drives and enjoys them.

A few days later I just had to returned to the Jaguar dealer to get another look at it. Didn't drive it, sit in it, or even speak to a sales person...but it had now joined the AM Vantage and Maserati Gran Turismo as the cars I would choose from if/when I bought another sports car.

Months of researching owner's forums and automotive reviews slowly steered my brain in the same direction as my heart...and when it finally caught up I bought the XKR! I had owned a '70 XKE when I was 20, and while it was probably the worst built car I've ever owned, it's the one I most wish I still had...maybe buying another was my destiny!

And that's how I came to buy my new XK...and I've loved it forever.

Bruce

Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm new here and just found this site....but I'm going to jump right in.

I am planning to buy a new car later this year. A sport car on the higher end side...depending on how much money I put together.

I have been to several dealers checking out cars. I've sat in SL, CL, Aston Martins, Maserati, Ferrari's, Porsche's and the XKR.

My mind keeps coming back to the XKR. I'm looking for luxury with my sport. I need ample leg and shoulder room since I am a big guy. I want power but don't need to win any races since I won't participate in any....but I want that power to be completely daily driveable and user friendly. I want the long hood and short rear deck I always loved. I want the peace of mind that comes from a good dealer network and long warranty. Finally, it has to stir the soul.

If I can get all that without having to spend 300K, that's the icing on the cake. That's why I keep coming back to the XKR. It seems the best choice.

I joined this site to learn more about it....but I think I know which car will be next in my garage.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Lots of good remarks.

One of my motivations is that Jags are much less commonplace than other cars. There are many great cars out there. I appreciate them for what they are and wouldn't mind owning some of them...but having something a bit different appeals to me even more. On any given day I'll easily see dozens of BMWs, MBs, Audis, Chrysler 300s...but only 1 or 2 Jags. On some days, no other Jags at all.

On a more practical note, used Jags are a fantastic bargain. You'll never find more car for less money.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Style. Class. Luxury. Power. Elegance. Comfort.

...all for a relatively cheap price.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

For me it came down to the XK or the MB E550. If you drew up a feature list with checkboxes on it and compared the two cars that way, the MB crushes the XK. Interior quality and transmission, I'd say, are probably the only places where the XK clearly wins. Not to mention the MB is cheaper.

But walking up to the XK and just looking at it, for me anyway, completely tips the scales. Its the completely subjective stuff that are its strongest points. Is a sunroof going to keep you from getting bored with the ownership experience? Will having blind spot warning indicators justify the cost of entry into this class of car? For me, the answer to questions like that was no. When I saw an XK for the first time, it became the instant front runner and it was up to everything else to convince me I was wrong. I have had my car almost a month now and its kind of unreal how much positive feedback I get from people... total strangers. Its just an awesome and unique car to look at, and that really does make a difference when it comes to enjoyment of ownership. Plus, its not like its a slouch when it comes to the features that really matter. At least it comes standard with a nice stereo and high grade leather, which is more than could be said for the MB.

Quick story because this was nuts: This morning on my way to work I had the scariest car experience of my life. Crusing at 65 on a 2 lane highway, some moron in a beat up pickup decided to pull out and cross the road in front of me, from my left to right. I don't know how he didn't see me, but he didn't. Braking hard, I was able to just barely slip around his rear bumper to the left as he went across the road. I was still probably going 30 miles an hour as I went by, the tail of the car now fishtailing to the left, tires wailing. I've never even been in a counter-steer situation before so about the only thing I can attribute my reflexes to is the countless hours I've "wasted" (quotes now completely justified, ha-ha) in PC racing simulators over the years. Who knows.

Anyway I pulled into the gas station that is on the corner just past the intersection, to just kind of relax for a second. I'm a very careful driver and have never even been close to being in an accident before. There was a guy there sitting in his car, waiting with his kids for something. He was shaking his head as I pulled up. I asked "did you see that?" He says "Yeah, you should go chase that guy down and call the cops." He pauses a second, then says "Nice car by the way".

I couldn't help but kind of laugh and say thanks. Its just that kind of car. No matter the situation, you can't help but notice it.

Last edited by TheMCP; 03-22-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

For me, I was looking for convertibles. As such, it's a much smaller playing field. I had originally targeted a new Camaro vert, but after driving it I decided I wanted something nicer. While I'm fond of the exterior styling, the interior ergonomics are kinda blah, and the materials aren't really where I want them to be. So now you're at 6 series, SLs, Astons... I really wanted an Aston. I mean... I've ALWAYS wanted one. But looking at the droptop Vantages, they don't retain the beauty quite the way the coupe does. And the Jag dealer was close to the AM one and I suddenly remembered Ian had jumped design ships from one to the other. I went and looked and promptly drove one a couple days later. Then I went to drive the Benz, the 911, and the BMW. They're all just lackluster compared to the XK. The Benz is soulless. The 911 is commonplace and commands way to much buck for it's bang. The 6 series is... uninspired to say the least. And the XK retains its beauty with it's top up and down. I'm thoroughly enchanted with the XK. Plus, the 510HP blew the doors off of anything else in the price range by far... It's been 9 years since I had a v8 in the garage and I missed the noise. Such a beautiful noise.

I will have to admit, though, if I were looking for a coupe I would have probably not been able to resist a late model Vantage. Or Godzilla. I know Godzilla is ugly, but what a machine. I'd track the coupe, so... priorities shift a bit from the "big GT" thing I was looking for in a drop top.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Had a 66 XKE

Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wife thought my Z06 was just scary fast to drive. So after some knee surgery I too needed a car with an auto. So she wanted a Jag, so what mamma wants mamma gets.

Tom

Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After owning an Acura NSX for 10 years I have always liked having a car that was "different" in a good way, something you don't see every day. My wife and I went to a reception for the new Porsche Carrera in Hilton head and the jaguar dealership was very close by. We saw the XKR and we both loved it. You see mercedes and BMW's every where. maserati's and Ferrari are great but upkeep is extremely expensive. the jag had everything I wanted in a car and was so comfortable along with the power and handling I was sold quick. I still test drove MB and BMW's before making my final decision but I kept thinking about the Jag. I have only had it about 3 weeks now but man I love this car!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Like other posters in this thread mentioned, it was between an AM and the Jag XKR. MB, BMW, and Audi are way too common where I live. My wife had to have a convertible and the AM didn't hold it's looks in a ragtop version when compared to the Jag. Also, there was the issue of serviceability. My Jag dealer is 20min from my house. The nearest AM dealers are in Long Island or Philadelphia - not gonna do that drive for a service appt. And since Ian Callum had a part in the XKR's styling there was no way I could NOT buy the car!

Mike

Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

LOOKS, SOUL AND GRACE!
Best looking Jag since XKE.