XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What SDD Software to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts
Default What SDD Software to buy?

What is the recommended SDD software to buy? I checked on a few from ebay and it looks like quite a few are only valid for one day. That sounds like a PITA.

What is a reasonable solution for the software?

thanks,

Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Hi David,

I bought the V.145 SDD and Mangoose clone cable from a Chinese supplier. It is true that the hacked software is valid for one day. The workaround is that the supplier also provides Deep Freeze software which, once loaded, will reset the hard disk each time the laptop is restarted. Hence, you activate Deep Freeze after you've made sure that the laptop operating system software has all the needed updates, and after loading the four SDD CDs.

You need to turn off the laptop access to the Internet. When you start SDD it thinks that it will be good for one day from that point since the software cannot access the Internet to validate your subscription status is legitimate. However when you reboot the laptop, that will bring the hard disk back to the point when DF was activated. Hence when you start SDD again after reboot, the 24 hour clock restarts.

I bought a used Dell laptop strictly to dedicate for this use as well as hacked Toyota Techstream, since the software needs Windows 7 32 bit OS. So using DF is no problem.

The first Mangoose clone cable failed after a short period. The vendor required me to return the cable in order to benefit under the warranty. The cost of such return was going to be $22 (back to China). I asked for a discounted price to buy another cable, which they provided. More than $22, but less than the original price. The second cable is working (so far) but who knows how long that will last.

So that's my experience with the clone SDD and clone Mangoose cable. My 2007 XK (78K miles) has several intermittent DTC which probably are associated with vehicle configuration issues. It also had permanent DTC related to the front running lights. I realized there are actually two running lights (W5W, WY5W) in each headlight assembly, and found one bad bulb on each side. Now the DTC status shows that those two DTC no longer are being logged.

Since the car is running fine, I am not going to mess around with the vehicle config settings and potentially make things worse. Also, my car's VIN is B00201 and I think it is actually a pre-production model, since at least one of the electrical modules hiding behind the rear seat back cushion was labeled accordingly (not for production, engineering evaluation only, etc.)

The only minor complaint I have is that the telephone module does not recognize my iPhone 6S+. The service record shows that the telephone module was previously serviced, so maybe that is a weakness I have to live with. I did try the setting which allows more time for the phone to register, but that did not help.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Patrick Wong; 07-14-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
What is the recommended SDD software to buy? I checked on a few from ebay and it looks like quite a few are only valid for one day. That sounds like a PITA.

What is a reasonable solution for the software?

thanks,
Do you want genuine - does all things Dave? If so, reach out to Cambo via PM. He sells used OEM VCM's, cables, software.

Anything cloned or requiring VMWare will buy you trouble, almost guaranteed. My comments are based on experiences with others on this forum and the X350 which is filled with DIY'ers and nightmares with clones.

I read that someone on this forum uses a wireless dongle instead of a cable/ vcm but I can't think of who that is. I'm not sure if the software is cloned either. Hopefully he can chime in.

Last edited by Sean W; 07-15-2017 at 11:17 AM.