Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   What is an XK Touring version? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/what-xk-touring-version-217767/)

jhf9642 05-14-2019 10:15 AM

What is an XK Touring version?

Hi,

I am looking into buying a used XK (X150) but having difficulty deciphering the model versions. In the North American NADA price guides, both XK and XK Touring models are listed. The touring model is always $5K less expensive. Can anyone describe the differences? This sounds like a sellers trap I do not want to get caught in.

Regards,

John

pk4144 05-14-2019 11:19 AM

In the last three years of the run ('13-'15, I think-- possibly 12 as well), Jaguar had the odd idea that introducing a model that was slightly less expensive would boost sales-- hence, the "Touring Edition." Which is a more stripped-down model than the "Base" XK, and it always makes me nuts when people confuse the two. The "Base" is the standard XK, and is a nicer version than the "Touring".
I looked at a few. If I remember correctly:
- limited paint/interior color combos. You couldn't custom-order one.
- leather on the seating surfaces only.
- no cooled seats.
- no heated steering wheel
- there was something stripped down about the "infotainment" system (such as it is) - something random like no HD radio, something like that. And it's a less-powerful generic "Jaguar" sound system, not the Bowers and WIlkins.
I am unaware of any mechanical differences between the touring and the base.

Given that I'm in Southern California (with a convertible), the lack of cooled seats was a dealbreaker for me. I stopped looking at 'em. wouldn't get one.

WVChris 05-14-2019 05:53 PM

Hello:

I have a Touring version. Color is a beautiful blue. Otherwise:

- leather on the seating surfaces only. - Don't know. It looks like leather to me
- no cooled seats. Correct. Not a deal breaker in WV
- no heated steering wheel Correct. I did drive it in the winter but it is garage kept so no big deal for me.
- there was something stripped down about the "infotainment" system (such as it is) - something random like no HD radio, something like that. And it's a less-powerful generic "Jaguar" sound system, not the Bowers and WIlkins. Maybe. I 'm not an audiophile.
I am unaware of any mechanical differences between the touring and the base. I'm on record here inquiring about ride feel but I think that is related to my own lack of experience driving GTs. I can say that for a 500 mile drive, this is definitely my ride of choice among the 5 cars I own.

MarkyUK 05-14-2019 06:10 PM

We didn't have them this side of the pond, it was perhaps introduced to bring them to a younger/poorer American audience than was the norm for the marque?

WVChris 05-14-2019 07:35 PM

Ha ha, For me, yes on both counts! :)

CC

IanXF 05-14-2019 07:38 PM

I think the 16 way seats are not in the touring model as well

jhf9642 05-14-2019 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info!! I assume there were no differences in badges (ie XK vs XK Tourer), so a buyer would have to know what to specifically look for?

pk4144 05-14-2019 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 2070653)
We didn't have them this side of the pond, it was perhaps introduced to bring them to a younger/poorer American audience than was the norm for the marque?

Poorer? So you mean like like:
"Eighty-five thousand for a CAR? That's nuts!
Wait-- seventy-nine thousand? I'M IN WHERE DO I SIGN?"

BlkC4t_XK14 05-14-2019 11:36 PM

I also have the touring model just like WVChris who had most of the differences listed. But here is what I know.

They are almost the same as the Base with these exceptions:
19" wheels vs 20"
monochrome stitching of the leather interior, it only came in the monochrome colors, warm/char; ivory. (all surfaces are leather just like the base - quality of leather is the diff)
Seats are 10 way adjustable instead of 16. No side bolster, no seat cushion extension adjustments. Seats are warmed only, not AC.
No heated Steering wheel
Headliner is of cheaper material
Bowers and Wilkins speakers are not included, Alpine is used. All other stereo components, amplifier and head unit are the same which include, HD, SAT radio, Nav, USB, iPod and the standard AM/FM; Bluetooth phone connect.
No options or substitutions, no adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, or spare tire inflation system.

All other mechanicals are the same as the base, engine, brakes, suspension. I researched this prior to purchasing, owned now for 1 year and a month. Great performance for a NA 5.0L and is equal to the base. These sell for $3 - $7k less than the base depending on market.

u102768 05-15-2019 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlkC4t_XK14 (Post 2070777)
it only came in the monochrome colors, warm/char; ivory.

Caramel was an option as well.

The option list for veneers for the Touring is limited as well compared to the XK.

80sRule 05-15-2019 07:23 AM

FYI, my early XKR doesn't have heated seats, no heated wheel, no adaptive cruise, has alpine audio, and it's a simple black on black. I dislike tire pressure monitoring systems, which I'm replacing sensors in now, and while nice, the fancy headlights are something I'd be fine without. The bigger wheels are nice but it's not exactly like you got steelies with the base rims.

I don't get why they did the touring model, but don't write them off. You aren't getting crank windows and no AC or anything. It's still a decent car.

jagtoes 05-15-2019 07:37 AM

OK so if this was the cheaper version then what was the price difference. Looking at my window sticker my 2012 XKR convert listed for $111K . Considering the tour'er was a cheaper version it would need to be around $80K and then again you still would need a big wallet to buy one. That being said who would be the target buyer.

Old Radar 05-15-2019 09:04 AM

I seem to recall from another thread someone said the Touring version had a vinyl dash instead of leather. So that's a 3% reduction in horsepower right there! ;)

neilr 05-15-2019 10:37 AM

In Europe, the base models (XK and XKR) did not have the cooled 16-way seats, B&W sound system, etc. Maybe the US got a better base model - more like a Portfolio/R-Performance in Europe.

The Touring just sounds like our base model which was not actually that basic at all :)

Tervuren 05-15-2019 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2070898)
OK so if this was the cheaper version then what was the price difference. Looking at my window sticker my 2012 XKR convert listed for $111K . Considering the tour'er was a cheaper version it would need to be around $80K and then again you still would need a big wallet to buy one. That being said who would be the target buyer.

As you lower price point, you do open up to more that can afford that price point.

Sales were down, they needed a wider sales base.

It was Jaguar fishing for more buyers by extending who could afford it.

On the other hand if you have too many buyers and not enough production a company comes out with a stripped down version, calls it a "club sport", and sells it for a mark up.

BlkC4t_XK14 05-15-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Old Radar (Post 2070934)
I seem to recall from another thread someone said the Touring version had a vinyl dash instead of leather. So that's a 3% reduction in horsepower right there! ;)

Here is the NADA guide for 2013. In 2014 the stereo was up graded on the touring to the base model which included 6-CD changer, Dolby, Pro-Logic, HD. 2015, the last year they upped the standard equipment on the touring again.

https://www.nadaguides.com/cars/new-...uar-xk-preview

u102768 05-15-2019 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by neilr (Post 2070983)
In Europe, the base models (XK and XKR) did not have the cooled 16-way seats, B&W sound system, etc. Maybe the US got a better base model - more like a Portfolio/R-Performance in Europe.

Depends what you mean by Europe. The 2010 UK XKR's got cooled seats and B&W sound system as standard.

neilr 05-16-2019 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by u102768 (Post 2071312)
Depends what you mean by Europe. The 2010 UK XKR's got cooled seats and B&W sound system as standard.

Ah OK! On most if not all of the LHD ones, there were two specs - std and R-Performance. In Germany, the Nevis wheels were a 3000€ option, the better sound, leather/cooled interior added 7000€ to the list price. Heated steering and other options added some more. These were pretty expensive on the Continent when new :(