Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   What's the reliability like on the XKR 2008-2015? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/whats-reliability-like-xkr-2008-2015-a-216307/)

Badnames 04-12-2019 02:35 PM

What's the reliability like on the XKR 2008-2015?

What's the reliability like on the XKR 2008-2015? What are typical problems? If there's a sticky link or other post I'll definitely check it out. My noobness had me limited in the search function.

Looking for what an owner averages per year on repairs/downtime. Any years users had better luck with compared to others?

jagtoes 04-12-2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Badnames (Post 2054325)
What's the reliability like on the XKR 2008-2015? What are typical problems? If there's a sticky link or other post I'll definitely check it out. My noobness had me limited in the search function.

Looking for what an owner averages per year on repairs/downtime. Any years users had better luck with compared to others?

There are various posts on the form about this subject so the search function can help. There are a few issues but not a lot as they are pretty reliable cars. I have a 2012 XKR convert. with 24K miles on it. I bought it in 2014 and besides putting on 4 new tires my cost have run about $200 per year. This has mostly been dealer oil service . Other then that it's been very good. I've put 18K miles on it.

Mufc 04-12-2019 03:23 PM

XKR-S now with 40,000 miles. Front and rear rotors and pads replaced. High pressure fuel pumps replaced, Direct pressure sensing valve replaced. Re-programmed TPMS module, Water pump replaced, Coolant hoses replaced, Tail light replaced. Not the most reliable car in the world but I like everything to be 100% perfect.

Badnames 04-12-2019 03:24 PM

That's great to hear. Is there a mileage recommended I do not look over when purchasing? I'm currently looking under 50k miles on used ones, all years 2008-2015. Test drove a few different and they're all great.

sov211 04-12-2019 06:05 PM

These are all very reliable cars but the 4.2 litre engine is even better than the 5.0 litre in that the water pump is not an issue. Our 2007 XK has cost exactly $0.00 in repairs over 9 years...the cost of regular oil changes is not a repair cost nor a reliability issue (unless you don't have the oil changed!). The battery has just been replaced because it was time. But on hand we have a new thermostat and housing -because these eventually do fail, and transmission fluid and pan/filter -because these should be used as normal maintenance items...but real repairs? Zero.
Best advice: these cars need full battery voltage all the time so the battery must be kept fully charged; if it is not, you will get random electrical warning signs: warning lights, convertible top not operating properly, windows not dropping to release from the weatherstrip, seats not moving properly, touchscreen freezing...it can be any or all of these and more. In every case it is the battery and nothing else.
The cure? Fit a CTEK battery maintainer and plug it in when the car is not being used. If you fit a new battery, note that it will not be fully charged off the shelf...and that can lead to the scenario just described, so charge it fully before installation.
otherwise, the cars are superb: comfortable, fast (all of them, the XKR even more so), luxurious (all that wood and leather), and the obvious: they are gorgeous.

subzero05 04-15-2019 12:13 PM

57K miles on my 2012 XKR. did brakes and kept up on the regular maintenance timely and haven't had anything crop up out of the ordinary. Been good so far

guy 04-15-2019 01:26 PM

120000 km on my xkr. Fired her up today. She missed me. Even thought the roads are wet and grimy we're crying for a spin. Bushings, brakes, and regular fluid changes is all I've really had to do.
Had the centre console electronics kick out once... all do to a loose ground.
I don't use a battery maintainer. Never needed it. But I do 'reset' the electronics once a year.
Quite surprised the bulbs have lasted this long. I do a lot of night driving.
Haven't done the shocks or the bearings yet but I think this will be the year.

CleverName 04-15-2019 10:45 PM

New issues are coming to light on the 5.0l that are worth mentioning.

Google '5.0l cam tensioner failure' and you will see that there is perhaps a dark secret lurking in the wings. JLR engines in the low 40k mile range on up are starting to see this common failure. There has been a technical release advising service centers to upgrade the tensioners to a new version 'when that are repairing the problem'.
I cannot say for sure, but I believe the updated part was released after the last XK rolled off the line, so I am watching the growing issue with concern. Failure of the part in question could require a complete rebuild if the chain jumps enough teeth to bend valves...

The 4.2l however is solid as a brick. One of Jaguars longest running designs that was well sorted by the time it ended production. Not a power house in normal trim, but the XKR was respectable and reliable.

Food for thought...
Vince

makecopies 04-16-2019 06:34 AM

I'm almost at 178k on my 4.2 is pretty stout. I daily mine every day for my commute

mosesbotbol 04-16-2019 08:17 AM

No different than any comparable German marque and in some cases less expensive to fix. British cars are finicky on batteries, so think of getting a new one and a CTEK. If the car has some miles on it, really go through all the bushings on the suspension and replace when and where you can. Water pumps on the 5.0 engines are known to wear out fast. You could get an occasional module failure, but code reader is good at telling you which one it is and their easy to replace.

Popbumper 04-16-2019 11:41 AM

2013 XKR has had zero issues

Owned mine for about a year. Sunny day driver. Previous owned an XF with 5.0. Added 20K miles to it and only ever changed oil & filters over 4 years. Always use a CTEK battery tender. I believe the 5.0 to be a fantastic engine although keeping in mind that everyone can have a bad day once in a while.

Beau M 04-18-2019 10:08 AM

Hi all

I've seen the CTEK mentioned twice so far. I bought one as soon as I got the car (last week) and also put in a brand new battery. The thing is, even after leaving it overnight twice, the CTEK is still showing as "charging" and not "full". Is that normal?

Also, as far as reliability... as I said I've only had the car a week, and I'm already having issues. The CEL comes on and it goes into Restricted Performance mode if I give it the beans on the freeway. The codes done't store and turning the car off / on seems to re-set it for a while. I had my scanner connected once when it happened and it said cylinder missfire. After research on here I decided to replace all my coils, the spark plus were replaced by the dealer I bought it from. Wish me luck.

The car sure is pretty to look at even if broken.

-Beau

Sean W 04-18-2019 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Beau M (Post 2057117)
Hi all

I've seen the CTEK mentioned twice so far. I bought one as soon as I got the car (last week) and also put in a brand new battery. The thing is, even after leaving it overnight twice, the CTEK is still showing as "charging" and not "full". Is that normal?-Beau

A common question Beau. When you installed your battery, did you charge it first using a battery charger? Batteries sit on shelves for extended periods and should be charged after installation or before. Once done, the maintainer should do the job. Otherwise the Ctek is probably working fine just takes forever to charge a battery by itself.

jagtoes 04-18-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Beau M (Post 2057117)
Hi all

I've seen the CTEK mentioned twice so far. I bought one as soon as I got the car (last week) and also put in a brand new battery. The thing is, even after leaving it overnight twice, the CTEK is still showing as "charging" and not "full". Is that normal?

Also, as far as reliability... as I said I've only had the car a week, and I'm already having issues. The CEL comes on and it goes into Restricted Performance mode if I give it the beans on the freeway. The codes done't store and turning the car off / on seems to re-set it for a while. I had my scanner connected once when it happened and it said cylinder missfire. After research on here I decided to replace all my coils, the spark plus were replaced by the dealer I bought it from. Wish me luck.

The car sure is pretty to look at even if broken.

-Beau

What model Ctek do you have . Also I would suggest that you put a battery charger on the car and make sure it is topped off. A Ctek is not made to do this.

sov211 04-18-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 2057154)
A common question Beau. When you installed your battery, did you charge it first using a battery charger? Batteries sit on shelves for extended periods and should be charged after installation or before. Once done, the maintainer should do the job. Otherwise the Ctek is probably working fine just takes forever to charge a battery by itself.

Regarding the CTEK unit and the battery: as has been stated, new batteries are almost NEVER fully charged at purchase.
A few weeks ago I purchased a new battery for a 2007 XK; the clerk assured me that it was "fully charged"; I knew it wasn't, and indeed it was not. Before installing I put it on the CTEK unit. It took a full 36 hours, yes, thirty six hours before it was fully charged! The CTEK unit is a battery maintainer, not a charger as such, but it will charge a battery fully and safely. You just have to let it do its job, however long that takes.
And for any electrical malfunction, suspect the battery voltage first, including any warning lights or other symptoms.

Beau M 04-18-2019 11:38 AM

Hi all

I have the CTEK MULTI US 3300. I've driven the car about 200 miles since the battery was put in, I would think the alternator would have charged it by now. I do have a traditional charger I can put on it tonight.

I'm still replacing the coils and hoping my issue isn't something more severe.

Stuart S 04-18-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Beau M (Post 2057176)
Hi all

I have the CTEK MULTI US 3300. I've driven the car about 200 miles since the battery was put in, I would think the alternator would have charged it by now. I do have a traditional charger I can put on it tonight.

I'm still replacing the coils and hoping my issue isn't something more severe.

I'd put it on the CTEK overnight and see if goes to the last stage and you get a green light. If you don't, then I'd use the traditional charger, but make sure that it doesn't overcharge the battery and boil out the electrolyte. Once the battery is fully charged, I'd keep it on the CTEK every day regardless of how far you drive it daily just to know that it's fully charged.

Tervuren 04-21-2019 05:45 PM

I was putting 12K Miles a year on my 2009 XK when I first got it.

I have had to replace one leaking coolant part.

Aside from that it has just been normal maintenance items that would be experienced with any other great car.

Tires,
Fluids,
Filters,
Brake Light Bulb.

Now I work from home, I only put a few hundred miles on it last year; I drive it more this year just for the enjoyment of the caramel interior being something I love to be in.

I finally had to replace the battery, but I still consider that a maintenance item.

These cars are getting old enough you may want to shop carefully as you could buy a car with neglect/abuse problems.

I would say a few years ago you could just go and buy any XK and be happy.

The neglect with age is why there is depreciation.

I can't speak to the 5.0L cars as I do not yet own one.

However, it is my observation of carfax information on cars for sale is that the original water pump fitted 2010-2012 has about 50,000 mile life expectancy.

At some unknown point, the life of water pump became much longer.

On my Porsche the water pump is replaced as a matter of course every few years, so when people complain about it on the 5.0L car as being something "wrong" it seems a little odd to me.

I love my Jaguar.

Badnames 04-22-2019 12:40 PM

What do you think cost is to replace the water pump? Estimates put it at $600-$800, but I could see that being low.

One thing that comes up a on two 2013 XKR carfaxes looking at is 'Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced'. Anyone got an idea of what this could be?