Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Whining Noise (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/whining-noise-211945/)

Khan 12-20-2018 11:40 AM

Whining Noise

I was hearing a whining noise that was getting progressively worse. The noise would increase with engine rpm's and not steering input. The dealership replaced the alternator and torsional isolator. I went to pick up the car and it was still making the noise. They replaced the supercharger and it got louder so they replaced the supercharger again. Everything seemed fine when I picked it up this time but the noise sounds like its coming back. What else could it be? On a side note, all the Jag dealerships around here are worthless. They can never fix a problem right the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cee Jay 12-20-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Khan (Post 2003333)
................... all the Jag dealerships around here are worthless. They can never fix a problem right the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Since I don't know where "around here" actually is, I can't help.

Maybe you should add your location in your profile. It'd help other members assist you in certain matters.
Also, putting vehicle specifics in a signature would also be a benefit.

Brewtech 12-20-2018 11:59 AM

Waterpump, make sure you have PS fluid im the reservoir, check alternator again. Supercharger???

Khan 12-20-2018 12:03 PM

Waterpump was replaced earlier this year. 5.0 XKR located in Seattle.

110reef 12-20-2018 01:48 PM

I find that if the whining noise gets too loud, I just kick the wife out and make her walk.

Sean W 12-20-2018 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 110reef (Post 2003387)
I find that if the whining noise gets too loud, I just kick the wife out and make her walk.

well that and turn up the radio in case she's jogging alongside.

Cee Jay 12-20-2018 03:00 PM

I was gonna say just give her some chocolates, or something else to keep her mouth busy.

Brewtech 12-20-2018 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2003430)
I was gonna say just give her some chocolates, or something else to keep her mouth busy.

😆

Stuart S 12-20-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2003340)
Since I don't know where "around here" actually is, I can't help.

Maybe you should add your location in your profile. It'd help other members assist you in certain matters.
Also, putting vehicle specifics in a signature would also be a benefit.

:icon_ditto:

I realize the need for privacy, but don't understand why some Forum members refuse to provide a general location such as city and state. I usually don't reply to them.

XJ8JR 12-20-2018 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Khan (Post 2003333)
I was hearing a whining noise that was getting progressively worse. The noise would increase with engine rpm's and not steering input. The dealership replaced the alternator and torsional isolator. I went to pick up the car and it was still making the noise. They replaced the supercharger and it got louder so they replaced the supercharger again. Everything seemed fine when I picked it up this time but the noise sounds like its coming back. What else could it be? On a side note, all the Jag dealerships around here are worthless. They can never fix a problem right the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Good grief...they replaced the supercharger TWICE??

Could the culprit be the differential or driveshaft?

steve_k_xk 12-20-2018 11:34 PM

Where is the particular noise coming ??? Front , rear , under the vehicle ie centre bearing

DannyJ 12-23-2018 12:57 AM

Well, I believe I have similar noise...
Coming in cabin from dash area. I checked A/C, air fan, speakers, vacuum, disconnected the tube from the intake and still have the noise. Pitch changing exactly with RPM.
Is there any reving part in the dash area ?
Could it be tranny related?

Sorry for jumping in the thread

Thanks

peterv8 12-23-2018 01:18 AM

Is the noise present with radio off and on?

DannyJ 12-23-2018 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by peterv8 (Post 2004329)
Is the noise present with radio off and on?

Yes. Radio off and speakers disconnected. It's not electrical induced noise

peterv8 12-23-2018 03:01 AM

You could remove the belt(s) and start the car for a short moment and see if the sound is gone.

pwpacp 12-23-2018 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by DannyJ (Post 2004325)
Well, I believe I have similar noise...
Coming in cabin from dash area. I checked A/C, air fan, speakers, vacuum, disconnected the tube from the intake and still have the noise. Pitch changing exactly with RPM.
Is there any reving part in the dash area ?
Could it be tranny related?

Sorry for jumping in the thread

Thanks

It could be the "intake noise tube" that you are hearing. There are a couple threads here that go into detail about defeating it. On the XK it is a simple tube that runs from the intake box back to the fire wall. At the fire wall it connects to a passive speaker in the cabin and "enhances" the inake sound. I pulled the tube off of the intake box, slid a wine cork in it and reattached it. (don't leave the hose disconnected as it would introduce unfiltered air into the engine) Now no fake sound or whining in the cabin.
On the XKR it is a bit more involved in that it has a valve/solinoid that controls when and how much sound will be transmitted.

I don't know if that is what you are experiencing but it might be something to investigate.

DannyJ 12-23-2018 08:09 AM

pwpacp,
" disconnected the tube from the intake "
I did that following your suggestion a while back...unfortunately did not help

in the workshop manual it says:
Noise: Refer to the Special Service Messages on the Electronic Product Quality Report (EPQR) system for sound files. If the symptom does NOT compare to any of the sound files, contact Dealer Technical Support (DTS).

Does anyone know what is this and have access to it ?

Thanks

steve_k_xk 12-24-2018 06:18 PM

Please a recording of the sound

DannyJ 12-25-2018 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the whining / whistle sound recording
need to raise the volume to hear it clearly

thanks

peterv8 12-25-2018 02:50 AM

Annoying sound!
Sounds like somewhere on the intake pipes is a leak that gives the whistling sound.
You could try starter gas around the intake pipes and connections and if engine suddenly revs youv'e found the leak.