Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Whistling noise at dashboard area (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/whistling-noise-dashboard-area-208738/)

DannyJ 09-30-2018 10:41 AM

Whistling noise at dashboard area

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

I hear a whistling noise that seems to come from my XK 2008 dashboard area.
It changes and follows engine revs. It's present without A/C and radio/CD. Never stops while engine is on.
Attached a short audio file over several locations around the dash

Any idea what may be the source ?

Thanks

Patrick Wong 09-30-2018 12:44 PM

The engine air intake has a hose that pipes intake noise to the passenger compartment. Perhaps this is the source of the noise that you have noticed?

DannyJ 09-30-2018 03:28 PM

I don't know...
where is it ?

Can you hear it in your XK as a whistle ?

Patrick Wong 09-30-2018 03:41 PM

1. Find the engine air intake black plastic tube which runs along the front of the engine. Note that it has a rubber hose which connects to the engine compartment firewall. That hose transmits sound.
2. See if you can hear this whistling sound while you are standing outside the car, the hood is open and the engine is running. If you can hear it, try to localize the source of the sound. Maybe you have a slight leak in the air intake which allows the whistling to develop.
3. Disconnect the rubber hose mentioned in #1 above and see if that affects the whistle as heard in the passenger compartment.

I do not hear a whistle sound in my 2007 XK.

DannyJ 09-30-2018 03:51 PM

Thank you Patrick for the detailed explanation
Do you mean the hose coming out of the red arrow in the attached picture?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...68a447574b.jpg

TexasTraveler 09-30-2018 04:19 PM

If your referring to a high pitch whistle at or around 1200 rmp’s, it is probably the AC line noise that has been referenced in other threads. There is a Jaguar TSB for it, where a washer/spacer needs to be installed to stop noise...

DannyJ 09-30-2018 04:34 PM

It's not at 1200 rpm. It is continously at all rpm's even with A/C off

TexasTraveler 09-30-2018 04:43 PM

I just saw you posted a sound clip, not the A.C. noise I was referring to...

Patrick Wong 09-30-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by DannyJ (Post 1969252)
Thank you Patrick for the detailed explanation
Do you mean the hose coming out of the red arrow in the attached picture?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...68a447574b.jpg

Yes

DannyJ 10-01-2018 02:56 PM

Well Patrick, yes the whistle is very similar to what I hear just near the air intake hoses.
I don't know if there is a leak and how to find it...???

If can't find the source of the noise/leak, is it ok if I disconnect the hose going in the cabin?

Thanks
Danny

pwpacp 10-01-2018 04:08 PM

The hose that leads from the intake air box/tube to the firewall is only there to provide intake sound, so the you get a "sportier" sound in the cabin. I found it anoying (eventhough mine is a vert) and pulled the hose off, pushed a wine cork in it (being careful to not shove it in too far to easily pull back off) then reassembled the hose to the intake air box. The result was a much quieter cabin with the top up and might stop the sound you are experiencing. If I'm off base on what you are seeing please excuse my post.
If you disconnect it at the air box you have to cap off port so as not to allow unfiltered air into the intake stream.

Patrick Wong 10-01-2018 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DannyJ (Post 1969686)
Well Patrick, yes the whistle is very similar to what I hear just near the air intake hoses.
I don't know if there is a leak and how to find it...???

If can't find the source of the noise/leak, is it ok if I disconnect the hose going in the cabin?

Thanks
Danny

I suggest you remove the large black plastic air duct and inspect for a crack. If necessary you could disconnect the hose leading to the cabin but as previously suggested, you need to plug any openings.

DannyJ 10-02-2018 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by pwpacp (Post 1969728)
The hose that leads from the intake air box/tube to the firewall is only there to provide intake sound, so the you get a "sportier" sound in the cabin. I found it anoying (eventhough mine is a vert) and pulled the hose off, pushed a wine cork in it (being careful to not shove it in too far to easily pull back off) then reassembled the hose to the intake air box. The result was a much quieter cabin with the top up and might stop the sound you are experiencing. If I'm off base on what you are seeing please excuse my post.
If you disconnect it at the air box you have to cap off port so as not to allow unfiltered air into the intake stream.

Did you push the cork into the hose or into the air box ?

pwpacp 10-02-2018 09:44 AM

I made sure the cork was clean, ie. not flaking little pieces off, slid it into the airbox port then reattached the hose. I have a hose clamp tool that allows the clamps to not get damaged so that made the job a breeze but, as you probably know, pliers will do the trick too. I also made sure the cork only entered the port part way so that it was easy to remove if I wanted and also did not enter the air stream within the air box. The cork was a tight fit so I was confident it wouldn't work it's way forward into the box.
Hope that helps.

DannyJ 10-02-2018 09:58 AM

Sure, thanks

DannyJ 11-10-2018 12:16 PM

I shoved a cork plug in the air tube going to cabin
the whistle is gone

Queen and Country 11-10-2018 08:05 PM

Thus the expression ' Put a cork in it will ya'

DannyJ 02-20-2019 02:03 AM

Solved

It was the alternator. There was no charge warning or so but at least on of the diodes was shot. Somehow the whining resonated into the cabin as it was under the dash.

Hope it will help someone