Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Why do I have to use key slot (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/why-do-i-have-use-key-slot-215938/)

‘Oleguy 04-03-2019 07:19 PM

Why do I have to use key slot

I have an ‘08 Portfolio XKR. I use to be able to keep the key in my pocket and it would recognize the key.
I tried using the key slot as I had never used it before. Now it wants it in the slot all the time.
Is there a simple fix for this?

jagtoes 04-03-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy (Post 2050071)
I have an ‘08 Portfolio XKR. I use to be able to keep the key in my pocket and it would recognize the key.
I tried using the key slot as I had never used it before. Now it wants it in the slot all the time.
Is there a simple fix for this?

Did you replace the battery in the key fob

‘Oleguy 04-03-2019 07:42 PM

No. Put will definitely do that. How often do the need replaced? Yearly? Thanks.

jagtoes 04-03-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy (Post 2050096)
No. Put will definitely do that. How often do the need replaced? Yearly? Thanks.

Once a year is usually the norm.

Stuart S 04-03-2019 08:45 PM

CR2032 battery life varies greatly depending on how long it sat on the shelf before you bought it, the manufacturer, and how often it's used. I recommend that you never buy them online because you have no way of knowing if it's genuine or a cheap Chinese knock-off and you can't verify the date code. I always buy a 2-pack of brand name CR2032 batteries at a local chain drug store so I can check the date code. Changing the battery is easy and no programming is needed. Keep the other one in your glove box as a spare for when you get the dashboard warning that your keyfob battery is low.

‘Oleguy 04-04-2019 05:37 AM

Thanks you gents. I don’t remember getting a battery low messsage on the dash readouts. But then I don’t remember what was for dinner last night.
I will get a Duracell 2 pack and change them both out

SickRob 04-04-2019 05:51 AM

I can't resist. Obviously your car is female and once you stuck it in it won't settle for just having it in your pocket.

‘Oleguy 04-04-2019 07:27 AM

Very demanding. We will see how she likes it with new alkaline copper top batteries.

GGG 04-04-2019 10:51 AM

The rear of the Smartkey case wasn't applying firm pressure on the battery with the early models and was subsequently redesigned. Assuming you use premium CR2032 batteries, a new case could get over this issue.

I fitted new cases to the remotes on my 2007 XK when I found out they were only about one tenth the cost of a new remote. If you do this, use only OE Jaguar - there's some Chinese rubbish listed on ebay etc.

Graham

Ranchero50 04-04-2019 11:42 AM

I've had some batteries last a month, others a couple months. You make a quarter year and you're overdue to replace it IMHO.

Cee Jay 04-04-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2050341)
I've had some batteries last a month, others a couple months. You make a quarter year and you're overdue to replace it IMHO.

???
I don't know about all THAT...
I've replaced the batteries in my smart key one time, about three years after I purchased it. THAT was from a Lease Return, and I assume it had fresh batteries installed prior to the sale. I did get one new remote when I thought a grand kid lost one, but later found it under the PAX seat.
The current battery is probably two years old now, the one that was originally in the new key I got from Jaguar. The other two keys still have the ones from three years ago, and both still work.
Maybe I'm just lucky? I have had OTHER batteries in remotes go bad quick. My F150 specifically, I need to change THAT one twice a year.

shemp 04-04-2019 02:19 PM

My remote battery is about 1.5 yrs old but I do keep mine on the CTEK when not in use :icon_tongue:

Don-T 04-04-2019 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 2050417)
My remote battery is about 1.5 yrs old but I do keep mine on the CTEK when not in use :icon_tongue:

Wow! How do you hook up the Ctek to that little bitty battery?

Stuart S 04-04-2019 03:41 PM

My CR2032 experience is like Cee Jay's. They last for years in both my XKR and XJ. As I previously said, buy them locally, name brands only, and check the date code. The fresher the battery, the longer it will last.

‘Oleguy 04-04-2019 04:33 PM

Ok. I bought the car Jan of ‘18. It did have new batteries installed then because I couldn’t get it unlocked.
This year when I got in the car it wanted the slot. I had the car display ‘doesn't recognized key’. I’ll get new batteries.
Thank guys!

Stuart S 04-04-2019 08:40 PM

If your Smartkey fob is in your pocket and blocked by your sunglasses or anything else, it might not be recognized if its battery is weak.

jagtoes 04-04-2019 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy (Post 2050480)
Ok. I bought the car Jan of ‘18. It did have new batteries installed then because I couldn’t get it unlocked.
This year when I got in the car it wanted the slot. I had the car display ‘doesn't recognized key’. I’ll get new batteries.
Thank guys!

Just a FYI but cell phones and credit cards in a wallet will block the key fob signal.

‘Oleguy 04-14-2019 09:31 AM

New Batteries Do Matter

I finally bought new 2032 Lithium’s and everything is normal now. Key in pocket or cup holder push start and go. One of the old was showing slight corrosion/leakage. I guess this will be a regularly 6 month replacement item.