XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Will 20‘ Takoba Rims fit my Xk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Lets see what the Jag dealer will say. Have an appointment scheduled...

The following users liked this post:
TexasTraveler (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Makes sense... I know we discussed the programming in SDD for tire pressure. I wonder if there is a setting for wheel size as well? I wonder if its possible with new wheel size the computer is getting signals a split second later than it thinks it should be with larger circumference wheels. Probably not but just thinking out loud...
Typically when changing wheel sizes, the tire diameter stays the same, just the sidewall height changes, otherwise you get speedometer reading changes with the different circumferences.
I had no issues going from 19” wheels to 20” wheels.
Wonder if there is a date code in all those numbers on those sensors. Just because they were newly installed, doesn’t mean they were new.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk

Typically when changing wheel sizes, the tire diameter stays the same, just the sidewall height changes, otherwise you get speedometer reading changes with the different circumferences.
I had no issues going from 19” wheels to 20” wheels.
Wonder if there is a date code in all those numbers on those sensors. Just because they were newly installed, doesn’t mean they were new.
I get that the outside diameter is basically the same when you include the lower profile tire, but the sensors themselves are travelling a longer distance to make it back around to the antenna because they are on a 1" bigger circle and the distance to the antenna would change because of this as well... I know it probably isn't the problem was just throwing it out there...

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 11-29-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 PM

The new sensors were already checked by a tire shop. While they could not solve the problem, they did readout the four sensors with a receiver: all 4 sending signals, including good battery life readings.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
I get that the outside diameter is basically the same when you include the lower profile tire, but the sensors themselves are travelling a longer distance to make it back around to the antenna because they are on a 1" bigger circle and the distance to the antenna would change because of this as well... I know it probably isn't the problem was just throwing it out there...
This is a direct read system meaning the sensor transmits a condition to the TPMS module. In an indirect system the wheel rotation is measured. Wheel size doesn't make a difference.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Hi all

the TPMS story continues...

Was at the dealer last week and had them look at the TPMS warning light that kept on being lit after I put on my new winter tires (with new sensors fitted!). The mechanic said the sensors id numbers were not registered with the car. He then did register them (and deleted the ones of my summer tires, even though you can have 2 x 4 wheels registered. This in order to make sure the TPMS really works). When I left the dealer, the TPMS warning was reset and off.

Drove the car for 2 days and approx. total of 40 mls: today the TPMS error was back
Hmmm... really not great!!

... and keep in mind, my TPMS never gave errors before I had my new winter tires fitted!

bt
ter

Old 12-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
Hi all

Was at the dealer last week and had them look at the TPMS warning light that kept on being lit after I put on my new winter tires (with new sensors fitted!). The mechanic said the sensors id numbers were not registered with the car. He then did register them (and deleted the ones of my summer tires, even though you can have 2 x 4 wheels registered. This in order to make sure the TPMS really works). When I left the dealer, the TPMS warning was reset and off.

Drove the car for 2 days and approx. total of 40 mls: today the TPMS error was back

... and keep in mind, my TPMS never gave errors before I had my new winter tires fitted!

bt
ter
Well unless the TPMS module is bad or the TPMS antenna's are bad my bet is they put the wrong sensors in the wheels when they changed the tires. Did the dealer test the wheel's to verify they are compatible with the module. As I mentioned based on my info these cars can either use 315hz or 433 hz but you need to know what module is in the car. My 2 cents here.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Jaguar TPMS does not have a provision for "Register" or "Deregister". They just work or don't. It's a self-learning system that takes maybe 60 miles to complete.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Jaguar TPMS does not have a provision for "Register" or "Deregister". They just work or don't. It's a self-learning system that takes maybe 60 miles to complete.
SDD does indeed have the functionality to register the sensors. In doing so, the car doesn't need to learn by driving. That said, the mechanic could have just deleted the registered sensors altogether and let the car learn by driving. Any shop with a TPMS tools can confirm the sensor id @ each wheel. You can then compare that with what was registered @ each wheel using SDD. They should also be able to confirm the module and sensor are using the same frequency as Jagtoes suggests.

Cee Jay (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Ok, so jags DO have a provision to do something that is unnecessary in SDD, but if it ISN'T done, the car works anyway. Methinks that although the car CAN read which sensors are where (even though that doesn't matter with the car's system) that deleting/changing any of the probably Info-Only reference would only mean that the car would re-acquire the needed info regardless.
Seems like a step taken for a shotgun troubleshooting. Course maybe it'd be good to see if either the Receiver module or the TPMS module took a crap.

Plus, if the system DID need to be manually registered or changed or whatever, then either every tire shop in the world would need SDD, or only Jaguar dealers could sell/install tires.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Ok, so jags DO have a provision to do something that is unnecessary in SDD, but if it ISN'T done, the car works anyway. Methinks that although the car CAN read which sensors are where (even though that doesn't matter with the car's system) that deleting/changing any of the probably Info-Only reference would only mean that the car would re-acquire the needed info regardless.
Seems like a step taken for a shotgun troubleshooting. Course maybe it'd be good to see if either the Receiver module or the TPMS module took a crap.

Plus, if the system DID need to be manually registered or changed or whatever, then either every tire shop in the world would need SDD, or only Jaguar dealers could sell/install tires.
I agree it's not necessary and the vehicle doesn't require it for the TPMS to function correctly. The question for me is, since it was registered, is it possible that the wrong sensor ID was assigned to each or a couple of wheels by the mechanic, and if so, does that affect the TPMS system?

It happened on my wife's Cadillac when we had new tires installed on her SRX. The wheels were moved around from their original location and they didn't properly reset TPMS so we were getting false warnings. Once I reset them, the problems went away. Same concept here but admittedly, only asking the question.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11
Hi all

bt
ter
Hi all!

Update!! Meanwhile I am again back on my summer tires and the TPMS error is permanently gone. The summer tires are equipped with the TPMS sensors that were originally fitted when car was delivered new in 2011.

So for me it is pretty clear that my problem with TPMS was caused by one or several faulty or incompatible TMPS sensors in my winter wheels, although they were fitted with new JLR branded sensors, which responded just fine each time when I had them checked in various workshops with TPMS readers.

Guess I need to swap these sensors for others. Big question is which to use, if the JLR branded ones I have now are giving trouble. Is it possible that my 2011 XK maybe doesn’t like newer generations of sensors?

Br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 03-22-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:32 AM

Hi all,

My TPMS issue is unfortunately still not solved, but I opened a new thread with more telling title for this here.

br,
ter

Old 10-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Received 98 Likes on 39 Posts

I replaced the Selena wheels on my '09 Portfolio with 20" Takobas and the Takobas look burried in the wheel well, especially in the rear. Thinking of getting spacers to set them out a little more.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Received 296 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco75
I replaced the Selena wheels on my '09 Portfolio with 20" Takobas and the Takobas look burried in the wheel well, especially in the rear. Thinking of getting spacers to set them out a little more.
I used 15mm spacers on the rear when I got my Takobas. Offsets on ‘09 are different than newer cars that offered Takoba wheels.

Marco75 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Received 98 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arenaej
I used 15mm spacers on the rear when I got my Takobas. Offsets on ‘09 are different than newer cars that offered Takoba wheels.
Thanks for the reply. Were there any issue mounting the spacers?

Old 10-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 296 Likes on 146 Posts

No issues...