XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Window cleaning w/ glass polish and sealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Window cleaning w/ glass polish and sealer

I have been experimenting cleaning windows by using a clay bar and window polish. The results have very good. Not only does the glass appear much clearer; but it remains that way longer. Also with an application of sealant, any water beads up and runs off leaving less streaking and residual dirt on the window.

Begin by first washing the window of any debris using non-ammonia cleaner. Then while the window is still wet, run a clean clay bar over it to pull out any embedded debris. If the bar 'drags', spray a little detailer to lube the surface. Then wipe the surface dry with a microfiber towel. Next I used a "glass specific polish" with the DA orbital polisher and a firm pad. I spent about a minute or two on each window. The results are amazing. Some sources advise to tape the rubber edges around the glass, but if you're careful I think this is unnecessary.

Most detailer/bloggers advise finishing the job by using a glass sealant to protect the surface, just like a wax protects the polished painted surface. I had some RainX that seems to do the job, however, I think I'll experiment with other brands. Finally, I use the DA orbital with a Surbuf Microfingers Pad to buff out the haze left by the sealer. I would estimate that it takes less than three or four minutes to do a windshield, and using the power tools it is very easy. I even experimented with the inside of the side windows, although not the front or back glass.

BTW I am using Griots Fine Glass Polish, an 8 oz bottle cost about $12. Do not try to use ordinary paint polish as it leaves a greasy film on the surface. The glass specific polish dries to more of a powder consistency. To get the best results use microfiber towels.

Attached Thumbnails Window cleaning w/ glass polish and sealer-surbuf-pads.jpg  

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 11-16-2017 at 12:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
ralphwg (11-16-2017), shemp (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I just polish mine with normal polish, clean with Dawn Dish Washing Liquid, then wax with normal wax. Maybe I'll give your process a shot.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I just polish mine with normal polish, clean with Dawn Dish Washing Liquid, then wax with normal wax. Maybe I'll give your process a shot.
I used your method also, except instead of the dish soap. I wiped the surface w/ alcohol to remove the polish residue. But, I think this method is much faster. Given, most paint polishes are not going to scratch glass; however, by using a known product like Griots which is specially designed for glass, it eliminates the potential risk of mistakenly machining in a more abrasive compound and scratching the glass. Plus it negates the polish residue issue.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I use clay (Nano Mit) on the outside of the glass every month or so. For cleaning; inside or out- I use squeegee with lightly soapy water. Just like tint and window cleaners do.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using 0000 steel wool for years. Does an exceptional job cleaning and polishing. Just rub it lightly over the glass. It won't scratch the glass.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

While in the Air Force, there was a thing called "MicroMesh" to clean canopies and such. I don't know exactly what it was, but probably something pretty close to five-aught steel wool, but in emery cloth form.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cee Jay - I also used Micro Mesh while it the AF. Worked great on canopies so I guess it could work on glass. Just did some searching and found this:

Question:
Can MICRO-MESH™ be used to polish out scratches on my car windshield?
Answer: No, this is not an application for MICRO-MESH™. Glass has a much harder molecular structure than acrylic or polycarbonate and although some damage might be abe to be removed, you would be unable to polish it back out to optical clarity leaving you with a scratched windshield.

That being said I believe 0000 is equivalent to 6000 grit which is the same a Micro mesh.

Cee Jay (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I use cerium oxide. It polishes glass, removes scratches and you can get amazing results. Cutting compound by comparison will leave micro scratches in glass.

Discovered a new trick to application that has been a game-changer. Typically it was applied by with buffer and required some effort as the pads available for car paint simply dont do much for glass.

Melamine Foam, (similar to magic eraser) harsh enough to remove paint from car, works wonders with cerium oxide, both to put it on and remove it. Unlike magic eraser it only works wet, which is what you want, as you will make a paste with cerium oxide. Now you got power to cut glass with 6000grit.

Its somewhat of a miracle, because that which cuts, normally leaves scratches of its own- just like polish on paint. Cerium oxide does not. It cleans and cuts glass and leaves it beautifully smooth as you can see in the video below.

Melamine foam is sold in 20 packs on amazon.

Cee Jay (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Plus 1 on Mosesbotbol's Nano Mit. You guys will never go back to clay bars and you will thank me profusely. Well some of yas will.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I too tossed cash at the nano-mit and was happy with the results.
For glass, I use Diamonite.
Pads and misc I get from Griot's

Last edited by CleverName; 11-17-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely a nano-mitt is the way to go, beats the snot out of clay bars for sheer speed alone. One can smooth the entire car within the time it takes to clay bar a bonnet alone.