Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Window in the Convertible top (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/window-convertible-top-97478/)

jimi727 06-22-2013 08:22 AM

Window in the Convertible top

Has anyone had problems with the fixed window in the convertible top coming loose? My window seems to be separating away from the top, it appears that the glue is failing and the window is slowly pulling away.

Also, I am somewhat unsure as to where to bring it, an auto upholstery shop or a good body shop

TIA

Jerry

jimi727 07-16-2013 03:26 PM

Quick Update

I just got back from vacation and began to look at a solution

First Convertible top shop said $150, no warranty
Second said they dont fix those but I could bring it in and he would look

SO I contacted a local dealer and received this response:

We do not repair/reglue the soft top window. We replace the soft top which includes a new window. The cost of the top and installation is approximately $3971.00.
The warranty would be for 12 months.

I find it hard to believe this , if there is no way to repair it, shouldn't the epoxy last as long as the top? The rest of the top looks almost brand new

I was going to contact Jaguar NA , thinking this must be a manufacturing defect, but after reading the 'Leather on dash pulling' thread , I think I may be wasting my time

Any suggestions? I twas thinking of doing it myself if I could determine what epoxy to use and a method of compressing the joint until the glue set up

CleverName 07-16-2013 04:08 PM

Saw a top on Fleabay with exactly the same problem (De-laminating rear glass).
Hope it isn't a trend for you vert owners....

Vince

ralphwg 07-16-2013 05:02 PM

If your vert is still under warranty or just off of it, I think contacting Jaguar NA would be well worth your while. If you purchased or leased your car new, I would go in and speak to the Sales or general manager of the dealership.

sklimii 07-16-2013 05:07 PM

depending on how the window is separating from the top, you may want to try McNutt Gear Aid Seam Grip which is a glue/sealer made specifically for canvas tents/outdoor gear, but worked great on the convertible top seams on my other car - MB CLK430. I was able to purchase at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Brutal 07-16-2013 05:33 PM

There is a bulletin on repairing with special adhesive from jaguar that does work well. Is a several day repair and i dont know anyone that will touch it for the totally insanely low time given. It takes double the total repair time just to clean and prep not including taping so no adhesive goes onto material. We sublet to a glass guy that does a really good job reglueing and sealing so it has the same look around the glass. Something you wont get from the jaguar recommended repair. He charges $300

jimi727 07-22-2013 01:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have an Easycare warranty and, of course, convertible tops are not covered. My only concern with using a seam glue/sealer is the glue curing time as I'm not sure if I can put any kind of clamp or pressure on the joint while the glue cures. Brutal, your statement of sending it out makes me think I may investigate repair shops a little more before attempting it myself

amcdonal86 07-22-2013 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jimi727 (Post 773579)
Quick Update

I just got back from vacation and began to look at a solution

First Convertible top shop said $150, no warranty
Second said they dont fix those but I could bring it in and he would look

SO I contacted a local dealer and received this response:

We do not repair/reglue the soft top window. We replace the soft top which includes a new window. The cost of the top and installation is approximately $3971.00.
The warranty would be for 12 months.

I find it hard to believe this , if there is no way to repair it, shouldn't the epoxy last as long as the top? The rest of the top looks almost brand new

I was going to contact Jaguar NA , thinking this must be a manufacturing defect, but after reading the 'Leather on dash pulling' thread , I think I may be wasting my time

Any suggestions? I twas thinking of doing it myself if I could determine what epoxy to use and a method of compressing the joint until the glue set up

Wait a minute. A new top is <$4,000? I thought a new top was closer to $11,000. Whew!!!

Brutal 07-22-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by jimi727 (Post 777329)
thanks for the responses. I have an easycare warranty and, of course, convertible tops are not covered. My only concern with using a seam glue/sealer is the glue curing time as i'm not sure if i can put any kind of clamp or pressure on the joint while the glue cures. Brutal, your statement of sending it out makes me think i may investigate repair shops a little more before attempting it myself

i asked him about cost again and its $500 as he comes to you and it is at least a 2 -4 visit job

Robert Page 07-28-2013 10:30 PM

Went to wash my wife's 2007 XK today and same problem, bet our warranty won't cover it either. Brutal is your Guy an independant or work for a national company? What type of company would I search for here in NC $500 seems like a bargain.

Robert Page 07-29-2013 01:29 PM

So went to my dealers and they said no we don't repair we only replace, fitted $5000-$5500. I asked about the adhesive and they said that they have never heard of it. Brutal by chance do you have a part number for the adhesive. I have found a convertible top shop that will have a go at rebonding the top if I can get the adhesive.

u102768 07-31-2013 06:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Parts are:

C2P25105 Adhesive Quantity: 1
C2P25106 Surface Cleaner Quantity: 1

See attached.

Robert Page 07-31-2013 07:51 AM

That is fantastic thanks, can't believe that our main dealer said he did not know anything about this Tech update. I will be going in today to talk to them about it.

amcdonal86 07-31-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Page (Post 783301)
That is fantastic thanks, can't believe that our main dealer said he did not know anything about this Tech update. I will be going in today to talk to them about it.

Don't you hate when the dealers play dumb?!

Robert Page 08-01-2013 06:51 AM

Dealer still does not want to do the repair! So I am left hunting for someone to do it. Not a happy bunny, they where fine with taking $5000+ off me for a new top but won't attempt the repair me thinks that there was not enough money in it for them.

WhiteXKR 08-01-2013 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Page (Post 783975)
Dealer still does not want to do the repair! So I am left hunting for someone to do it. Not a happy bunny, they where fine with taking $5000+ off me for a new top but won't attempt the repair me thinks that there was not enough money in it for them.

That is really pretty shabby.

On the other hand, if they do not have the skill in house to do it right, maybe it is for the best. You might be better off taking the procedure to either a window glass company or a car upholstery shop.

amcdonal86 08-01-2013 08:40 AM

Isn't that convertible top repair something you could attempt yourself? It doesn't look very complicated, as long as your convertible top window damage is not separated more than the max 350mm in up to 3 different places, and you have the appropriate surface prep cleaner and adhesive.

jimi727 08-01-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 783360)
Don't you hate when the dealers play dumb?!

Maybe they are not playing :)

I will be contacting three dealers near me in St Petersburg , FL , lets see what they say

Jerry

amcdonal86 08-01-2013 08:59 AM

BTW can you take photos of your window separation? Where does it seem to start, and how bad does it get?

jimi727 08-09-2013 01:40 PM

I contacted two dealers

The first , Wilde in Sarasota, originally stated they just would just replace the top for $3700+ . When I asked about the TSB they said they knew about it ( although they did not list that as an option originally) but that no car has come in that met the 350mm limitation.

As I knew my car had a 6-8 inch separation, I went out only to discover the window was almost completely detached. It was just holding on at the very bottom
I was assuming that the bouncing action when driving was partly the cause, not sitting under a cover

The second dealer I called said they didnt do those types of repairs and gave me teh number of two repair shops. He recommended googling 'Auto Interiors'
I called one of his recommendations and they also stated they just replace the top ( the other was quite a ways away)

I eventually found a repair shop , on google, and just picked it up. 300 + tax , he ran a stitch around the window , holding the fabric together and re-glued it. It looks great, I'm just hoping it holds up. ( he was also no warranty)

He also said, in Florida, its a very common problem

Sorry, I didnt see the request about pictures until after I dropped it off

Mine started as a small hole or separation in the upper left corner and was pretty stable for a while , I noticed it when it was about 4-5 inches long and it was pretty stable for a while. When I looked last, the window was almost completely unglued, along the top and down both sides