XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Window in the Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi everyone,
Jonnyy and Trianag - not sure whether you have solved your problem yet but in case you are still looking, you can try Jose at All Star Auto upholstery shop in Houston - his e-mail is: Jose bravo <jallstarauto1@gmail.com>

he fixed my rear window a couple of months ago and did a decent job for $225. He actual came to my place and did the job within a couple of hours, which was convenient. The rear window had popped almost completely off, only the bottom side of the window still glued to the canvas. The result appears very strong (fingers crossed) and almost does not show. No guarantee but said I could call him back in case of any further trouble.

After getting back into the carwash the first time there were a couple of leaks but instead of calling him back I simply applied a bit of silicone adhesive to fill the gaps, no leaks since then.

This seems to be a rather common issue with the vert (all verts, to be fair) but I suspect Jags canvas tops may just not be geared to withstands the scorching Texan heat. My window popped on a very hot and sunny day as the car had to be parked outside in full exposure.

Actually, there has been a reference to Fabric Guard 303 earlier in this post. I had actually applied this product for the first time on my roof a couple of months earlier. Of course this might just be a coincidence - no way to tell.

Hope that helps
Nic

The following users liked this post:
Jonnyy (12-03-2015)
Old 01-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2008 Portfolio garage kept 18,000 miles window falling out, dashboard is delaminating, along with the door panel delaminating where they are convexxed. I am totally disgusted with the quality of this meticulously maintained XKR.rant over

Old 05-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cons Top Window Reseal

Originally Posted by Brutal
There is a bulletin on repairing with special adhesive from jaguar that does work well. Is a several day repair and i dont know anyone that will touch it for the totally insanely low time given. It takes double the total repair time just to clean and prep not including taping so no adhesive goes onto material. We sublet to a glass guy that does a really good job reglueing and sealing so it has the same look around the glass. Something you wont get from the jaguar recommended repair. He charges $300

Brutal, I'm in Houston. Can you tell me who you would recommend to do the repair - I now have the same problem.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it would be interesting to determine how many incidents vs owners who applied fabric guard 303. This stuff has a powerful solvent base and I believe could contribute to the softening of the adhesive around the window. Any comments?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Default Conv. Top Window Delam.

Never used it (303) on our car.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Rick at 281-705-8502[IMG]resource://82AF8DCA-6DE9-405D-BD5E-43525BDAD38A/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]281-705-8502. He came to the house and had the window glued in one day almost a year ago and it's still on there good!
Jonnyy, Humble TexasCall
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Last edited by Jonnyy; 05-11-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Content
Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 AM

Funny. I had already found Rick. He starts this week.

thanks much.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Default Conv. Top Window Delam.

Here's the Jaguar Service Bulletin for the window repair. Their recommended sealant/adhesive is Teromix 6700, a two-part polyurethane that comes with a static mixer tube. The repair will be more complicated if the seam the window is glued to has also come undone. In other words about 1/2" of canvas is folded back on itself around the perimeter where it will be glued to the glass. That fold must also be glued (to itself). If this has released, then the fold must be glued (cleaned, glued, clamped, cured) in sections until the entire length is complete. Then the folded seam can be attached to the window. This must be done in sections so the canvas can be stretched and properly aligned around the window. Each application of the polyurethane should probably set overnight at least. Therefore, if the entire window is to be redone, and the seam must be redone, the job will probably require at least a week. Based on my research, it seems that even if only part of the window has released, it would probably be wise to repair the entire perimeter. Once the original adhesive begins failing it will all go quickly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TEROMIX 6700-EN.pdf (57.4 KB, 217 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Tembek:
kj07xk (05-11-2017), Stu72 (10-30-2022), Stuart S (07-29-2017)
Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
One point on the window peeling away from the canvas top.

When I wash my 2009 XKR, I make sure that all water is removed from the lower window seem.

I use an Air Force Master Blaster to dry all my premium sports cars. The Air Force Master Blaster quickly removes water residue from all open areas that normal hand drying with a microfiber towel can not get. This is a great detailing tool to have. It blasts the water out of all seems around headlights, trunk seems, door jams, and the rear window on the Jag.

You need to make sure the lower rear window seem is dried well. This is the spot that most people see the window pulling away from the top.

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum B3-CD Air Force Blaster 10-Amp 4-HP Motorcycle Dryer: Automotive
I had my top replaced two weeks ago, cost was $1550, but I picked up the blower and really like how it dries the car. I would definitely recommend it.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jimi - what is the name of the place that fixed your window? I had my convertible top replaced on a 4 year old car. Just made it under the wire under warranty. However, 4 years later which is now, an upholsterer pointed out to me the window is starting to pull away again. He said it was Florida sun causing the canvas to shrink. He said it will leak soon but it could be 2 weeks, 6 months hard to say. My liner isn't staying on either. He said he could replace the top with after market for $1695. Is that bad for resale? I can't believe these undo so easily. Ugh. Not sure what I will do I do know I will not pay the dealer $5000.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it was 'top of the Line Auto Interiors'
6767 Haines Rd N, St. Petersburg, FL 33702

So far, it has held up okay

Good Luck !!

Old 11-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Mine is just starting to pull so will see about how to glue. If canvas shrunk I guess they'll have to stretch it.
Also, I got my car new and thus Jag USA DID replace my dashboard when leather pulled up.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

For anyone doing this rear window repair themselves, I can recommend these clamps from Amazon. They put a good amount on pressure on the area being glued. I ordered the three pack.
CRL Suck-N-Clamp

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQX4PU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following 2 users liked this post by dougsteve1:
kj07xk (05-11-2017), Stuart S (07-29-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Convertible Top Window Separation Fix

Here is some more info on a fix for anyone interested. Thanks to a senior member post from New Zealand I tackled this job myself. I've reattached the technical bulletin he provided and some pictures of the repair job I just finished. While it is too soon to say this repair will last for a long period, I'm confident it will last until the time comes to replace the top, which is several years away to my best estimation.

I had ordered the repair solvent and adhesive seen in the technical bulletin from Jaguar. These products are available elsewhere for less, Amazon for example.

The window glass separation on my car was the entire lower edge. This large separation just happened with a trip we made, top up for a period of time at highway speeds. Had I noticed the separation when it started this would have been much easier.

The only thing I would do differently is to remove the excess adhesive and masking tape when done with the job - and applied less adhesive. I waited overnight. I then had to take a razor blade to trim the excess. No big deal, but when trimmed the adhesive colored white, rather than black as when applied. If this does not naturally correct, I will need to take a fine brush and some touch up paint.

Preparation took most of the time and all together this took me 2.5 hours day one and about 1.5 hours day two (removing the masking tape and trimming adhesive) You will need a gun for the adhesive like this one: ****-Data 50ml Dispenser AB Gun 1:1 /1:2 Impression Mixing Dispensing Gun

Final job. Note some of the white coloration along the edge. Could have been avoided by removing excess at time of application, rather than the following day.

Attached Files
The following 8 users liked this post by chasr:
d a (08-20-2019), Firecat17 (12-06-2018), Jonesjag (06-18-2022), kj07xk (05-11-2017), ralphwg (05-11-2017), Stu72 (10-30-2022), Stuart S (05-11-2017), SuperTrav (04-15-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Nice job, most helpful. My only question; what happened to the tennis ball?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Koa, a Golden Retriever is always there to assist and loaned me the tennis ball in case I needed another pressure point. The ball is back with him where it belongs.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (05-12-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Nice job, most helpful. My only question; what happened to the tennis ball?
Originally Posted by chasr
Koa, a Golden Retriever is always there to assist and loaned me the tennis ball in case I needed another pressure point. The ball is back with him where it belongs.
Well done chasr!

Took a bit of where's waldo but I found the tennis ball. Funny!

Old 05-15-2017, 01:55 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

For those in the US who want a new top, call Jag North America and state your case to a customer service rep that this is a known problem and would they help offset the cost. I remember they deducted around $900 for mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fastlane'scat:
ralphwg (05-15-2017), SuperTrav (04-15-2019)
Old 05-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I love the work! How many guys can say the repaired a $100k car with an empty Jiff peanut butter jar?

My vote for "Most innovative fix."

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a bit of a separation along he top edge of the window which looks like it was previously repaired. No leaking or anything, but want to be sure all is secure. I have 3 suck-n-clamps and they work well. I tried some of the 3M 5200 adhesive but it did not seem to hold. Used some JB weld clear fast cure and it seems to be doing better. There are a few more raised spots that I plan to work around with the clamps. Once these are all good, I may try to get a nicer looking seal around the window/top gap. In my reading, this seems to be a problem with many convertibles.

Quick Reply: Window in the Convertible top