XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wish me luck (and advice if you're got any)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Wish me luck (and advice if you're got any)...

SO I got the feared and hated "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE" light recently. Got it again last night. My symptoms:

- car has 21K miles on it, most put on in the past year, when I bought it. Bought it with about 8000 miles on it. So it sat a lot for the first five years of its life.
- have been reading threads about performance mode and sport mode, and had been driving the car harder than normal for about two days. Harder starts, higher revs, some aggressive paddle downshifting, but nothing too crazy.
- then one throttle-punching moment, it hits. And the engine starts failing, missing.
Now:
- car fires up fine, idles fine, and if I drive it grandma style it's fine.
- but push it, especially above 2500 rpm, and feels like it starts to misfire/fail. If I try to push past 3000rpm, I get the light.
- first time I got the light, also got the yellow check engine light. Haven't seen that since.

Have read all the threads about this, and my hunch is it's gonna be water pump or cat converter. So, it's into the shop for me. I could do the "go to Pep Boys" route and get the codes, but I'm assuming that the fix is going to be beyond standard maintenance, so I might as well just get it done.

Here's the thing... I bought one of those aftermarket warranties (from Jaguar San Diego, at the time of purchase).

Is the smart call to nurse it back to Jaguar San Diego (it's about a 100 mile drive), on the assumption that they might work with the warranty they sold me? Or go to Hornburg here in LA? Or an indy shop? Will it matter?

Not looking forward to any of it. Any thoughts would be appreciated, and thanks in advance--

Last edited by pk4144; 09-06-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have the extended warranty then go back to the dealer first. Your car has pretty low miles to start seeing problems like that. Mine has 34k miles and no major issues.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I would read the codes and see what they are. Based on that then make a decision on where to take it. I would also erase all of the codes after you write them down and then drive it and see what ones come up. Remember codes stack up as when one sensor goes out of range it starts to affect other sensors.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

First of all, who is he aftermarket warranty with? Most of these warranties, including the Jaguar provided one, allow you to have your car repaired at any facility. I would not worry about marrying yourself to one dealer if it is too far to drive, if there is another Jag dealer closer just go there. You are right, I would stick to a Jag dealer either way.

Does the warranty provider have a tow option, some do and some don't, but it will list how far it would get you and if the 100 miles is an option.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
First of all, who is he aftermarket warranty with? Most of these warranties, including the Jaguar provided one, allow you to have your car repaired at any facility. I would not worry about marrying yourself to one dealer if it is too far to drive, if there is another Jag dealer closer just go there. You are right, I would stick to a Jag dealer either way.

Does the warranty provider have a tow option, some do and some don't, but it will list how far it would get you and if the 100 miles is an option.
I totally agree with the post above. If it's a Jaguar warranty, any Jag dealer will honor the warranty and make repairs.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Get AAA Plus if you need a longer tow. Worth while service to have regardless of the car you own.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, all. An update, and some info (some readers will probably know this, might be helpful to others):

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:

The ONLY true warranties for these cars are the original Jaguar new-car warranty, and the Jaguar Select Certified Pre-Owned warranty, which extends the manufacturer's warranty and is not an item you purchase (or haggle over) at the time of sale, assuming you're purchasing the car used. Although I've heard if you're buying a used Jag at a Jag dealership and it's not yet Select Certified, you can use that as a bargaining point, and they can sometimes certify it-- which I'd recommend. (FYI, you CANNOT purchase the car on a non-Jag lot, and bring it in and "purchase" Select Certified Pre-Owned status.) If the Jag's a CPO, and a Jag tech runs your car's VIN, they'll see that the "warranty period," in both months and miles, is simply extended out, and they'll go ahead and just make the repair.

This is not the case with ANY other warranty, even those purchased, as mine was, at a Jag dealer at the time of sale. The car I purchased was four months away from being six years old and even though the miles were low it wasn't worth it to haggle over. Either way it'd be out of any CPO period at this point anyway.

Even though the warranty I purchased is a "Jaguar Approved" warranty (with the "peace of mind of being covered by Jaguar", as the sleek brochure points out), it is not, in fact, a warranty, nor is it a Jaguar product. It is through Fidelity Warranty Services, a division of Fidelity Insurance.

It is best understood as an insurance policy, where your Jag is the "covered patient" and your mechanic is the doctor (the deductible is your "co-pay"). Rather than simply fixing the problem, the doctor-mechanic submits a cost-estimated diagnosis to the insurance company, who has an adjuster (a "claims rep") who makes payment authorization. Now given that I purchased the Double-Platinum-Best-of the Best-Super-Duper plan, and the problem is not among the standard exclusions (tires, pads, belts, battery, fuses, etc), technically I should only be on the hook for the $50. But we'll see.

FYI the policy clearly states that if possible, I should bring the car into the dealership where I bought it. If not, there's an 800 number I have to call "IMMEDIATELY." Which I'll do in the AM.

I'll keep y'all posted...

Last edited by pk4144; 09-07-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

I had a similar restricted performance issue above 2500...ish rpm's. Mine is an 2007 XKR and it had 21,000 miles on it. Mine was a very odd issue in that the passenger side catalytic convertor had failed internally. The convertor bricks are wrapped with foam (high temp I presume) to seal them off. Part of my foam material had come loose and was partially blocking the 400 cell brick inside the convertor. Is this your issue??? but it was mine. FYI only as a possibility.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 09-07-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Thanks, all. An update, and some info (some readers will probably know this, might be helpful to others):

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:

The ONLY true warranties for these cars are the original Jaguar new-car warranty, and the Jaguar Select Certified Pre-Owned warranty, which extends the manufacturer's warranty and is not an item you purchase (or haggle over) at the time of sale, assuming you're purchasing the car used. Although I've heard if you're buying a used Jag at a Jag dealership and it's not yet Select Certified, you can use that as a bargaining point, and they can sometimes certify it-- which I'd recommend. (FYI, you CANNOT purchase the car on a non-Jag lot, and bring it in and "purchase" Select Certified Pre-Owned status.) If the Jag's a CPO, and a Jag tech runs your car's VIN, they'll see that the "warranty period," in both months and miles, is simply extended out, and they'll go ahead and just make the repair.
From what I have learned on this forum that even the CPO from Jaguar has exclusions that original new car warranty does not. CPO warranty is certainly better than 3rd party after market warranty, but it is still not a true extension of the original warranty.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:
It is best understood as an insurance policy, where your Jag is the "covered patient" and your mechanic is the doctor (the deductible is your "co-pay"). Rather than simply fixing the problem, the doctor-mechanic submits a cost-estimated diagnosis to the insurance company, who has an adjuster (a "claims rep") who makes payment authorization. Now given that I purchased the Double-Platinum-Best-of the Best-Super-Duper plan, and the problem is not among the standard exclusions (tires, pads, belts, battery, fuses, etc), technically I should only be on the hook for the $50. But we'll see.

FYI the policy clearly states that if possible, I should bring the car into the dealership where I bought it. If not, there's an 800 number I have to call "IMMEDIATELY." Which I'll do in the AM.

I'll keep y'all posted...
A fair analogy. If you can't bring it to the dealer you purchased from, then make the call to the warranty carrier as they instruct. This is common practice except in States where it's prohibited and can void the claim if not followed.

You are correct, and can confirm with your dealer, but normally, they need to diagnose and provide proof of defect to the warranty carrier, sometimes in the form of pics, in order to get approval for repair. They want to ensure less reputable shops are just swapping good parts for profit. I'd be interested to hear feedback for your dealer on this particular point. I know it's true with my wife extended wheel/ tire coverage. Pic of defect is required.

The contract rules are in place for a reason. Remember, the house always wins so follow their directions to a tee. You can always litigate later, if they attempt to weasel out of a fair and legitimate claim.

If you can't read the codes as Jagtoes suggests, have the dealership print them out in advance of the repair.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
From what I have learned on this forum that even the CPO from Jaguar has exclusions that original new car warranty does not. CPO warranty is certainly better than 3rd party after market warranty, but it is still not a true extension of the original warranty.
Exactly true!

There is only one true warranty and that is during the factory period. The Jaguar CPO is a limited warranty with exclusions and deductible, then you have Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program which is an insurance policy branded with Jaguar name, and lastly a non-Jaguar branded aftermarket protection plan also through an insurance company. You will notice that the Jaguar insurance product is not stated to be a warranty but a protection plan.

PK, thanks for the update, as you read the forum you will see that this subject has been covered extensively just as you outlined.

I had a plan sold by a company that specializes in protection plans underwritten by Mercury Insurance for my previous car, filing claims was easy and painless. Your experience will differ based on the quality of the insurance company, not all are equal. Like ALL insurance, health, auto, home, liability, umbrella, they count on the majority not exercising claims. Seriously, would any insurance company be around if they paid out more than the brought in?

Last edited by tampamark; 09-07-2016 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, I can't add anything to the advice, but I certainly wish you the best of luck!

Old 09-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

a

Last edited by pk4144; 09-07-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Exactly true!

There is only one true warranty and that is during the factory period. The Jaguar CPO is a limited warranty with exclusions and deductible, then you have Jaguar Vehicle Protection Program which is an insurance policy branded with Jaguar name, and lastly a non-Jaguar branded aftermarket protection plan also through an insurance company. You will notice that the Jaguar insurance product is not stated to be a warranty but a protection plan.

PK, thanks for the update, as you read the forum you will see that this subject has been covered extensively just as you outlined.

I had a plan sold by a company that specializes in protection plans underwritten by Mercury Insurance for my previous car, filing claims was easy and painless. Your experience will differ based on the quality of the insurance company, not all are equal. Like ALL insurance, health, auto, home, liability, umbrella, they count on the majority not exercising claims. Seriously, would any insurance company be around if they paid out more than the brought in?
You're right! The word "warranty" is hard to find in any of this literature...

Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

So... quick advice from So Cal drivers: I bought the car from Jaguar San Diego, but I live in LA. Called and Jag San Diego can't see the car for a week.

Do I wait, or go to a Jag dealer in LA (which would also be much easier)? Any preference between Hornburg LA, Hornburg Santa Monica, or Rusnak Pasadena? (I also hear that there's an indy shop in Pasadena that's supposed to be good.)

Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Interesting. My previous XK was a CPO. (Also purchased used from Jag, with 44K miles on it). The only time I brought it in was on the CPO end of the warranty and they were great. No charge, no problem.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

That only means your item was in the covered list. If you had taken your car in for a part that is not covered you would quickly learn the excluded items.

I have a CPO car, within two months I needed a new compressor, free for me! For instance, if you had a hose break, that is not covered. Or a battery, shocks, struts, exhaust system parts.

It actually is a warranty and is listed as such in my CPO book, it is limited in scope and coverage though.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I would call the carrier and check out going to a dealer in LA. I used Hornburg in Santa Monica for 8 years and they were OK.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

They're cool with any dealer. Gonna try Rusnak in Pasadena.
In the meantime, as long as I'm "granny-ing" it, the car is fine. Haven't had any problems or seen the Restricted Performance light, and had to drive to Northridge yesterday.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE:

So I'm hearing from the jag dealer it's a fuel injector issue-- but this worries me, as the "restricted performance" seemed to be aggravated by high heat and aggressive driving. And they want to replace ALL the injectors. (under warranty) To their credit I will say that they seem, at least for now, to be aggressive about getting everything they can from the warranty company-- who is now going to come out to do an "inspection."

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Wish me luck (and advice if you're got any)...