XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Wood Dash Panel Replacement

Old 07-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 xkr Portfolio.

Anyone wanting to swap my spun aluminum panels for the walnut burlwood panels. I bought a set from England unfortunately the left hand and right hand left and right panels are different. So I installed the.center console panels and and would like to sell or trade a full set of aluminum panels and the extra burlwood panels that didn’t fit my 2008 XKR

Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I'd be interested in the spun versions since the 5d silver wrap has grown on me but isn't sticking to the original panels as well as it should. PM me a price and we'll go from there.

The following users liked this post:
Tervuren (07-19-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts
Default Rich Oak Veneer

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
... Rich Oak, a factory veneer, is also really good.
Rich Oak is a rare veneer on the 4.2L, as it was first made available only on the 2009 XKR Portfolio models, where you could choose either Spun Aluminum or Rich Oak. I thought you'd like to see what it looks like, from my car.

P.S. The dark grey floor mats are aftermarket, as the OEM mats are Ivory and impractical for daily use.

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-20-2018 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (07-20-2018), ralphwg (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I'd be interested in the spun versions since the 5d silver wrap has grown on me but isn't sticking to the original panels as well as it should. PM me a price and we'll go from there.
Hi Ranchero,
If you have want to try something instead of wraps, I had good luck (IMO) with the recent Carbon Fiber stuff I did and the manufacture is great to work with. They have 20 or so different patters of all sorts of material. Anyway for an approx $200 (maybe less when I get finished with my specs) and it is completely reversible.

As I said they have lots of different materials, including "real wood" etc. I know there are lot so people that don't like Carbon Fiber etc. I do like how my interior brings out the gray tones and light hues most don't realize are in Carbon Fiber from my Oyster/Ivory interior. Doesn't show well in pics like it does in person.

I still have a few tweeks to do, but this is how it looks at the moment.

Cheers,

Dave

The following 4 users liked this post by 10XKR:
apost8n8 (08-11-2018), jahummer (07-21-2018), jbretthorton (07-20-2018), Ranchero50 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi all!

In this context: how can the panel in front of the passenger seat be removed? I refer to the large wooden or metal finish panel in front of the co-driver that basically sits above the gloves box, between the center LCD-screen and the passenger side vent.

Is this difficult to remove this panel and replace with a Jaguar spare? How can it be removed?

Best,
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 07-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ter11
Hi all!

In this context: how can the panel in front of the passenger seat be removed? I refer to the large wooden or metal finish panel in front of the co-driver that basically sits above the gloves box, between the center LCD-screen and the passenger side vent.

Is this difficult to remove this panel and replace with a Jaguar spare? How can it be removed?

Best,
ter
Hi Ter,

They just snap in and out of place, makes it easy if you get a set of Interior Tools and use the wider ones to get it started. Once you find the sweet spots of where to pry and/or pull on the panels it is simple and quick to swap all of them out in minutes.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Thanks Dave!

I am asking this because my panel in polished metal has a very slight dent that could probably be pushed back from the inside. To do this I would need to remove it, which as I read should not be so difficult.

Br
ter

Old 07-20-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Ter, Finger tips, not fingernails will pop it off but they can be tough. Mine in wood has a crack and chip missing. Sad face, so I went with the silver carbon fiber look. I bought the glossy 5d stuff but ended up peeling the gloss off when it refused to conform.

Dave, I'm in the middle of a round dozen different projects so it's going to wait for a while. I might even try wrapping them again now that I am better skilled at the process. PITA though...

Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Ter, Finger tips, not fingernails will pop it off but they can be tough. Mine in wood has a crack and chip missing. Sad face, so I went with the silver carbon fiber look. I bought the glossy 5d stuff but ended up peeling the gloss off when it refused to conform.

Dave, I'm in the middle of a round dozen different projects so it's going to wait for a while. I might even try wrapping them again now that I am better skilled at the process. PITA though...
Hi Ranchero,

I almost went with Real Silver Carbon Fiber, you might like it also. The clear on this stuff is 3.5-4mm thick (little over 1/8") and the depth really comes thru.

Happy Friday night,

Dave

Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 PM

Don't know if you guys have seen it, but the new McLaren Senna has "colored" carbon fiber body panels....this would be killer for interior panels in a BRG XKR!

closer up of "natural" carbon fiber colored parts.

Some people say Carbon Fiber is yesterday's fad etc, seems the Mega HyperCar Manufactures haven't gotten that Memo yet!

Cheers,

Dave

Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
........Some people say Carbon Fiber is yesterday's fad etc, seems the Mega HyperCar Manufactures haven't gotten that Memo yet!

Cheers,

Dave
Of course they use it, it's the best stuff for the application. The "look" is about passe nowadays, not the material.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
.....Is this difficult to remove this panel and replace with a Jaguar spare? How can it be removed?
Here's my 2007 XK RHD passenger side. The 7 tabs on the rear of the trim panel press into the spring clips circled in red. Ease the edge of the panel out with a trim tool then grip it at both ends and pull towards you.

Graham

The following 4 users liked this post by GGG:
1 of 19 (03-09-2020), ralphwg (07-22-2018), Stuart S (07-21-2018), Tervuren (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the pic. Great!!

Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Of course they use it, it's the best stuff for the application. The "look" is about passe nowadays, not the material.
Hi Cee Jay,

SO the look is passe ....yet McLaren makes special colored CF versions to cover the WHOLE CAR!! For some reason it doesn't feel passe...to me. LOL

Happy SATURDAY!!!!

Dave

Old 07-21-2018, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Hi Cee Jay,

SO the look is passe ....yet McLaren makes special colored CF versions to cover the WHOLE CAR!! For some reason it doesn't feel passe...to me. LOL

Happy SATURDAY!!!!

Dave
It wasn't McLaren's decision. The gentleman who bought the car, designed the color scheme and added the CF. You get to do that when you shell out the $$$$. I think once you start to see CF on Fords, it's time to move on. I haven't, just saying.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
It wasn't McLaren's decision. The gentleman who bought the car, designed the color scheme and added the CF. You get to do that when you shell out the $$$$. I think once you start to see CF on Fords, it's time to move on. I haven't, just saying.
Good Morning Sean,

I thought I read they were all that way if desired, that guy just chose the Green from his past History.

I agree 100%, if I see a Ford(excluding THE GT) from the factory with a natural CF Body...I will put my ugly burl walnut back in my R, I hate that stuff, it has been so copied in plastic by every cheaper auto company in the world. I get in my friend's Toyota Van and there it is in all it's glory..beautiful burl walnut PLASTIC every where...makes my skin crawl.oooohhhhh.

Of course Carbon Fiber certainly hasn't been copied in plastic by everyone, right? LOL

:-)

Happy Saturday to you,

Dave

Sean W (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Hi Ranchero,
If you have want to try something instead of wraps, I had good luck (IMO) with the recent Carbon Fiber stuff I did and the manufacture is great to work with. They have 20 or so different patters of all sorts of material. Anyway for an approx $200 (maybe less when I get finished with my specs) and it is completely reversible.

As I said they have lots of different materials, including "real wood" etc. I know there are lot so people that don't like Carbon Fiber etc. I do like how my interior brings out the gray tones and light hues most don't realize are in Carbon Fiber from my Oyster/Ivory interior. Doesn't show well in pics like it does in person.

I still have a few tweeks to do, but this is how it looks at the moment.

Cheers,

Dave
Wait, is this a wrap or real carbon fiber? Looks damn good in the pics. I paid more than that for real carbon for my car.

Sean W (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Wait, is this a wrap or real carbon fiber? Looks damn good in the pics. I paid more than that for real carbon for my car.
Hi Jeremy,
Thanks man, it actually looks way better in person than in those pics. BUT, I know it is NOTHING like your Custom Carbon Fiber Parts you had made, but it is a closest second I can find,.. for now.

Let me try to explain, supposedly it is real carbon fiber sheet that is computer cut to the right sizes, then it is overlaid with a clear resin Poly (automotive grade) approx 3.5-4mm thick(over 1/8") over the cut pieces. The biggest difference is the clear is flexible (to a point)enough for it to shape over the existing wood with a 3M peel and stick adhesive on the back. Currently it will not fit over compound curves without some creative design and template making. That Center Stack part that looks simple is a crazy compound part and is the most problematic..

In a nutshell this is the "cheapo" peel and stick overlay "kits" you see everywhere. I just happen to remember I had done business way in the past with one of the top manufactures of this stuff, and ironically he had just released an "XK" kit this past December 2017. I began working with him and getting the fitment just right to where I felt comfortable with the fitment, quality, and more importantly less equal more, I am also working with him to make a more minimalist Jag type kit in case others wanted one. All in all I think I can get the price down to way less than $200 for the kit to cover the original wood (and nothing more). He currently has over 37 pieces in the kit he recently released, I am hoping to get him to release a "real XK Owner" Kit with just 7 pieces that only cover the original wood.

One big advantage with this type kit is it is completely and easily reversible (just like wrap) as long as you spray the original parts with Plastic-Dip type Peel away Paint. This makes cleaning the 3M adhesive off of the raw wood much easier AND also hides the few areas where fitment is impossible with the current manufacturing process. That may change over time.

Again, nothing like your custom stuff, but for a non-destructive process on the original wood, it's not too bad a compromise.

In a perfect world Jag would sell us just the plastic backing plates for the interior trim and then we could make them be identical to the factory wood trim parts, BUT with whatever we wanted to do. It still drives me nuts that JAG never made (for the public) a Carbon Fiber Kit for the XK. I have seen their CF in the XF and it is hands down the best CF interior trim I have ever seen, and that's a lot! IMHO they brought CF up to to the same standards of the Jag wood and it shows.

In the meantime this is just the first go at it and at least it hides the burl Walnut Now I don't get in the car that I am so smitten with...and cringe at the sight of that burl wood. Had it been any other wood it would be different. Wait, did I tell you I hate that stuff.. HA HA!!!

I have a lot of extra parts I can mail out to you(or anyone else) if you want to see it in person. I even have one Center Stack section and a couple of the Instrument Cluster parts I can send, they are just not the latest designs.

Happy Sunday,

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by 10XKR:
jahummer (07-22-2018), Sean W (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks man, it actually looks way better in person than in those pics. BUT, I know it is NOTHING like your Custom Carbon Fiber Parts you had made, but it is a closest second I can find,.. for now.

Let me try to explain, supposedly it is real carbon fiber sheet that is computer cut to the right sizes, then it is overlaid with a clear resin Poly (automotive grade) approx 3.5-4mm thick(over 1/8") over the cut pieces. The biggest difference is the clear is flexible (to a point)enough for it to shape over the existing wood with a 3M peel and stick adhesive on the back. Currently it will not fit over compound curves without some creative design and template making. That Center Stack part that looks simple is a crazy compound part and is the most problematic..

In a nutshell this is the "cheapo" peel and stick overlay "kits" you see everywhere. I just happen to remember I had done business way in the past with one of the top manufactures of this stuff, and ironically he had just released an "XK" kit this past December 2017. I began working with him and getting the fitment just right to where I felt comfortable with the fitment, quality, and more importantly less equal more, I am also working with him to make a more minimalist Jag type kit in case others wanted one. All in all I think I can get the price down to way less than $200 for the kit to cover the original wood (and nothing more). He currently has over 37 pieces in the kit he recently released, I am hoping to get him to release a "real XK Owner" Kit with just 7 pieces that only cover the original wood.

One big advantage with this type kit is it is completely and easily reversible (just like wrap) as long as you spray the original parts with Plastic-Dip type Peel away Paint. This makes cleaning the 3M adhesive off of the raw wood much easier AND also hides the few areas where fitment is impossible with the current manufacturing process. That may change over time.

Again, nothing like your custom stuff, but for a non-destructive process on the original wood, it's not too bad a compromise.

In a perfect world Jag would sell us just the plastic backing plates for the interior trim and then we could make them be identical to the factory wood trim parts, BUT with whatever we wanted to do. It still drives me nuts that JAG never made (for the public) a Carbon Fiber Kit for the XK. I have seen their CF in the XF and it is hands down the best CF interior trim I have ever seen, and that's a lot! IMHO they brought CF up to to the same standards of the Jag wood and it shows.

In the meantime this is just the first go at it and at least it hides the burl Walnut Now I don't get in the car that I am so smitten with...and cringe at the sight of that burl wood. Had it been any other wood it would be different. Wait, did I tell you I hate that stuff.. HA HA!!!

I have a lot of extra parts I can mail out to you(or anyone else) if you want to see it in person. I even have one Center Stack section and a couple of the Instrument Cluster parts I can send, they are just not the latest designs.

Happy Sunday,

Dave
Well, it looks absolutely brilliant! I'd like to see it in person sometime. Jaguar actually offered a carbon fiber interior for the X100 XKR and the X-type. At the time I did not care for it as that era had large dash areas and I thought the miles of burl looked best, although when I ordered the S-type R in 2004 I chose smoked gray burl which was also quite stunning at the time.

You should offer up a solution for members here, they can probably provide other variations of weaves too. When I chose the pedestrian 2X2 twill he had a book of dozens of samples of carbon material and colors I did not even know existed.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 AM

Hi Jeremy,

I have no problem helping any members here getting this stuff, no biggie, I already have a Distributor account and I am happy to help my fellow XKers..

Concerning type and colors here are some samples of what is currently available.

Real Carbon Fiber type and colors.

Real Wood

Modern finishes. some real some not.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Last edited by 10XKR; 07-22-2018 at 10:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 10XKR:
1 of 19 (03-09-2020), jahummer (07-22-2018), Mediawiz (03-08-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wood Dash Panel Replacement