XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Would you buy a water damaged XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

If the title is marked/stamped SALVAGE....good likelihood is you may not be able to get it registered with a title in Minnesota. This is the first thing to determine. Contact the DMV in Minnesota, it's a free call. Run a VIN number check on the car via CarFax or Autocheck, cost about $75.00 for both. It will most likely tell where the car came from. Just because it's located in washington, doesn't mean it's NOT a Hurricane Sandy car. Determine your skills to make repairs on a car that you know nothing about.

Personally my advise is NO, don't buy it.....get the emotions of the car out of your mind. It's turning into a possible impulse buy thinking that you can have a great car with a little money into it.

Be careful.

How did you find this car for sale? Hopefully NOT Craigslist.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
How did you find this car for sale? Hopefully NOT Craigslist.
Heh, it was an ebay listing. Some chop shop is trying to sell the front clip off of it, but said they'd be willing to sell it as a whole if there was interest. 20k for the front clip, 25k for the whole bag. What a shame... it looks so clean.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Don't see it on eBay

Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

What a shame... it looks so clean.

It should be clean, it's been soaked in water

The following users liked this post:
GritsNCornbread (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by GritsNCornbread
It's in Washington, so I'm going to assume it's a non-Sandy car for now.
Of course it is a Sandy car....
Sandy cars are already news here is Seattle....
Komo 4 article
Seattle Pi
NWAuto

Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by richzak
Don't see it on eBay
Here is the link: 2012-Jaguar-XKRS-XKR-S-Complete-front-nose-bumper-hood-cooling-rad-support-light

Old 08-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting that they don't provide the VIN number. That would be my first starting point to secure the VIN.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 AM

The guy was pretty prompt with his responses to my questions. I'm willing to bet that if I had asked for it, I probably would have gotten it relatively quickly. Obviously, if he had declined, that would have been an instant deal breaker. However, It's still mildly tempting to spend the 25k and just use it as a driveway ornament that I can sit in and go "vroom! vroom!" every now and then.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

The guy was pretty prompt with his responses to my questions. I'm willing to bet that if I had asked for it, I probably would have gotten it relatively quickly. Obviously, if he had declined, that would have been an instant deal breaker. However, It's still mildly tempting to spend the 25k and just use it as a driveway ornament that I can sit in and go "vroom! vroom!" every now and then.
I'd bet you could get it for less than $25K...

Just sayin'...

Hey, there are people that use toilets as flower pots on their lawns. This would be much nicer than a toilet...

Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

First thing, the ebay article says:
I also have the airbags and dash available.

My thinking would be: Why have these been removed from the car in the first place? I'd take this as clear evidence that its very likely not a complete car. You know he's "forgetting" to mention that he's already sold some parts off of it, that he's hoping you will only find out are missing after you bought it. Most likely some small but valuable part because you normally just cant get one on its own without buying a whole big expensive chunk of something you dont also need. E.g. a throttle body sensor.

Besides that, You've also got the point that all the interior leather, wood, headliner, trunk liner etc would be permanently messed up and probably will always smell funky, and most if not all the electronics would be shot. Just a new LCD center console alone is well over $7k from Jaguar I believe. Then you're assuming the engine is still OK because no-one tried turning it over with water in it.

Pretty much every computer module costs in the thousands to buy separately too, and there are at least 12 of them. Then don't forget the very 'not cheap' replacement Bowers & Wilkins speakers, custom DVD nav unit, etc etc.

I guess the best use for it would be if you wanted to make a car (maybe a cool electric car project or a track day car) that looks like an XKR-S and maybe uses the running gear but does not actually use/contain much else of the original equipment, then it might be worth it.

Last edited by JustNiz; 08-13-2013 at 11:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JustNiz:
amcdonal86 (08-13-2013), GritsNCornbread (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Yup, it does sound like it's already been gutted.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Would it be blasphemous to ****** up the rear bumper, paint it to match, and throw it on my Portfolio? I like the look of the R-S diffuser. I can match it up with a nice low profile front lip and up the intimidation factor a notch or two...

Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Would it be blasphemous to ****** up the rear bumper, paint it to match, and throw it on my Portfolio? I like the look of the R-S diffuser. I can match it up with a nice low profile front lip and up the intimidation factor a notch or two...
Don't modify a beautiful car that you probably already own. Also think about resale some day. Modified cars can be greatly reduced in price when trying to trade or sell to a private party. Other people may not share or like the same look that you do.

I suggest to let the water soaked XKR go and look for another deal.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I have to agree. One of the main reasons I bought this car is because I have always thought XKRs were beautiful as-is. I thought I had the urge to mod out of my system, but apparently it still creeps up at times. I actually agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. I'll put my mod money toward under-the-hood goodies as originally planned. Thanks for indulging me everyone.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

A look at the number (HVM32) written on the front screen and a quick Google suggests the car is probably this one sold by Impact Auto in an auction in Calgary:

2012, JAGUAR, XKR, [stock no.] HVM32, 0 Km, WA TKU [water damage, total kilometres unknown], A[utomatic], 8 [cylinders], [Ownership] AB-NON-REPAIRABLE [i.e. Alberta], [At] Calgary, [Run #] 503

Unfortunately the listing has gone, presumably because the car was sold, and it only appears in the Google search listing (the cache just brings up the current stock list). The date on the screen is 01/01/13 or 01/07/13, but no idea if that's when it was trashed or when Impact bought it. They might be prepared to tell you something about the car if you quote them that stock number.

There's another number on the screen which look like B_5315 or B_5395. That suggests to me it's the VIN, and (since the car is a couple of years younger than mine, which has a VIN in the 40k region), the car is probably B45315 or B45395.

</detective_mode>

Last edited by Ngarara; 08-13-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Unsure of date on screen, on second look
The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
amcdonal86 (08-13-2013), GritsNCornbread (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM

Seriously, man! Remind me to contact you if my significant other ever starts acting suspicious. That's some serious research work there. Color me impressed.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If you can get it cheap enough, who cares about registration? Make it a race car & tear it up

Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Seriously, man! Remind me to contact you if my significant other ever starts acting suspicious. That's some serious research work there. Color me impressed.
Leet skillz

Nah, probably because I do a lot of genealogy research - search engines reveal many things.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers
If you can get it cheap enough, who cares about registration? Make it a race car & tear it up
I guess the body should be reasonably sound in the short term, though there might be corrosion in future, but everything electrical/electronic (and that's most of the functions of the frickin' car these days) is probably knackered.

If you want a good rolling bodyshell, wheels, suspension etc., but were planning to replace the engine & transmission with race-spec units and strip out the interior anyway, then this might be a good place to start.

But I don't think GritsNCornbread had that sort of thing in mind.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow ur good, got everything bang on there!!
for the rest of you, no the car hasnt been gutted, i havent removed a thing, and if you find natural salt water in the middle of alberta you can have the car. a complete front clip is worth 20k all day long to the right person, alot of the inner frame bits/structure isnt even available from the dealer even if you really needed it.

Originally Posted by Ngarara
A look at the number (HVM32) written on the front screen and a quick Google suggests the car is probably this one sold by Impact Auto in an auction in Calgary:

2012, JAGUAR, XKR, [stock no.] HVM32, 0 Km, WA TKU [water damage, total kilometres unknown], A[utomatic], 8 [cylinders], [Ownership] AB-NON-REPAIRABLE [i.e. Alberta], [At] Calgary, [Run #] 503

Unfortunately the listing has gone, presumably because the car was sold, and it only appears in the Google search listing (the cache just brings up the current stock list). The date on the screen is 01/01/13 or 01/07/13, but no idea if that's when it was trashed or when Impact bought it. They might be prepared to tell you something about the car if you quote them that stock number.

There's another number on the screen which look like B_5315 or B_5395. That suggests to me it's the VIN, and (since the car is a couple of years younger than mine, which has a VIN in the 40k region), the car is probably B45315 or B45395.

</detective_mode>

Quick Reply: Would you buy a water damaged XKR?