XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant hose help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Coolant hose help!

My coolant hose that goes from the expansion tank to a metal rail (about 4 inches long) started to leak. The local Jag dealer says it is not available unless you buy an entire new rail for $140! Does anyone have an idea where I can get one? The two ends are slightly different diameter, so I can't find a generic one locally. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Govtslug

Old 11-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

He is right, it is not listed separately in the parts book.

Part number is C2P2186 for the assembly. List price is $126.50. Dealer really should not charge more than that. It is $98.66 here: https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...R-COOLING-PIPE

Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Parts.com doesn't really say that part includes the little hose are you sure it does? $100 for a 4 inch hose is killing me....

Govtslug

Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The hose is more evident of this sketch from the Electronic Parts Catalog (item 10).

Attached Thumbnails Coolant hose help!-c2p2186.jpg  
Old 11-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Just to close this out, it turns out it was actually my expansion tank that was leaking. It had a virtually invisible little fracture right by where the hose connected to it. At least the tank is pretty easy to replace...

Govtslug

The following 2 users liked this post by GovtSlug:
GGG (01-28-2021), wsn03 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was leaking at the same spot, but is the hose. I put an extra clamp on it (std screw type pipe clamp), and moved the squeeze clamp a little closer to the tank. Stopped the leak for now, but may not last. I got the same story from my local dealer and price. Online prices not much better after you add shipping.

So still looking for an aftermarket solution. Any of you see anything out there?
HS

Old 01-28-2021, 09:25 AM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

The reason this piece is so expensive is because it is part of an assembly with the 2 aluminum pipes, the coolant tank leg, and the 2 rubber ends that tie into the cabin heater. I had to purchase one because one of my cabin heater rubber lines was swelling. I felt the same angst at the beating I had to take for that. I also still have the aluminum parts because they are not problematic...

The following users liked this post:
Henry Schmitt (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 007XKR
The reason this piece is so expensive is because it is part of an assembly with the 2 aluminum pipes, the coolant tank leg, and the 2 rubber ends that tie into the cabin heater. I had to purchase one because one of my cabin heater rubber lines was swelling. I felt the same angst at the beating I had to take for that. I also still have the aluminum parts because they are not problematic...
Thanks, and I figured the same for me-- replace rubber parts and hang the aluminum on the garage wall as artwork. I'm going to see how long my $1.29 repair lasts before I spend the $137...

Old 01-28-2021, 10:20 AM

For anyone of you that needs it, the hose in question for the XKR is Jag P/N C2P2186 from the dealer. Online prices, after shipping charges, are about the same as the my local dealer-- $137. If anyone finds a decent discount from retail, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:49 AM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by GovtSlug
Just to close this out, it turns out it was actually my expansion tank that was leaking. It had a virtually invisible little fracture right by where the hose connected to it. At least the tank is pretty easy to replace...

Govtslug
the coolant isn't enough and it gets too hot and it will start melting and busting pipes and it melted my whole coolant reservoir 1 time and i had to replace it.So add some colant additive and you'll never have this problem again

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 01-29-2021 at 06:51 AM.
wsn03 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 02:16 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Iīm a belt AND suspenders guy

As I donīt trust plastic in the long run, I ordered all hose / plastic parts of the water cooling / heating system. Including thermostat, thermostat housing and the expansion tank.

Had a talk with my garage owner today: when to replace the parts?

Car is 2007 with 26.000 mls. No issues yet. Under the hood all looks new, an expert said, the car has never seen salt on the road.

If the first part fails, I will replace all, that is clear. But preventative? WHEN?? Now itīs 14 Years. Maybe with 15 years of age? Or 16? Or ??? Or at 40.000 miles?

And we discussed the water pump: so I have an aftermarket pump already, which was recommended by an online dealer to me: has metal impeller, and was cheaper than factory. I usually donīt buy cheap or aftermarket, but he recommended it.

My workshop owner said, if the pump is driven by a separate belt, weīll replace it, too, but if itīs driven by the main chain, we leave the pump alone.

Also, did NOT order the clamps, as I heard, those are metal and reusable.

What do you say?

TIA, Hermann

fxdwg (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 03:00 PM

I do believe in regular preventive maintenance. For me that is fluid changes per owners manual, and things like serpentine belts. The rest, like hoses and hard parts, it usually says to inspect and replace as necessary. So I do that. My 2007 has 60k miles and very few problems so far. The leak was minor and I double clamped it while I figure out if I can get a replacement at a better price. Water pumps do fail, but it usually starts with a minor leak as the shaft seal begins to degrade. On my car, I will wait until I see a leak. My concern is with removing and replacing parts that have not yet failed, that require "invasive surgery", where you have to remove a lot of hardware, hoses, radiator... That can often result in new leaks, mistakes, broken clamps, damaging otherwise good hoses prying them loose, etc.

We are all entitled to our own opinion on care, so not trying to tell anyone else what to do. But that's why I stick with recommended maintenance, even on an older vehicle. I have a 2007 GMC truck with 217k miles and it has never yet had a major repair on the engine, and still has original hoses and water pump. It HAS had coolant replaced a few times...

Arminius (02-24-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Henry Schmitt
I do believe in regular preventive maintenance. For me that is fluid changes per owners manual, and things like serpentine belts. The rest, like hoses and hard parts, it usually says to inspect and replace as necessary. So I do that. My 2007 has 60k miles and very few problems so far. The leak was minor and I double clamped it while I figure out if I can get a replacement at a better price. Water pumps do fail, but it usually starts with a minor leak as the shaft seal begins to degrade. On my car, I will wait until I see a leak. My concern is with removing and replacing parts that have not yet failed, that require "invasive surgery", where you have to remove a lot of hardware, hoses, radiator... That can often result in new leaks, mistakes, broken clamps, damaging otherwise good hoses prying them loose, etc.

We are all entitled to our own opinion on care, so not trying to tell anyone else what to do. But that's why I stick with recommended maintenance, even on an older vehicle. I have a 2007 GMC truck with 217k miles and it has never yet had a major repair on the engine, and still has original hoses and water pump. It HAS had coolant replaced a few times...
I fully agree with you; thats why I do not exchange parts immediately. Thatīs why I said I wonīt touch anything with main chain drive as long as there is no fault.

I am happy I HAVE the parts, and I hope, the original parts will hold up long. IF anything happens, I need a good mechanic, but not necessarily a shop with Jaguar prices.

Hermann

Old 01-30-2021, 09:02 PM
Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

I also needed to replace that small hose from the tank to the rail, and was also told that I had to buy the whole rail assembly, which I didn't want to do, on principle. Yes, the hose is different diameters on either end. First, I bought a hose at local parts store that had an assortment of various preformed bends (Dayco(?) / Davco(?) part number 8783(7) and cut out the suitable bend section that I needed. To deal with the different diameter ends, I used an old hot-rodder trick, and squeezed a smaller diameter hose stub into one end and cut it flush. Clamped, it's not going anywhere. Voila: needed part for a few bucks and enough hose sections left for other repairs. Years later, no issues.
Not that I cheap out on car repairs, but I'm a tinkerer and get satisfaction looking for creative solutions to problems....
​​​​

The following 5 users liked this post by Tracee:
007XKR (02-01-2021), Arminius (01-31-2021), Cee Jay (01-31-2021), Henry Schmitt (01-31-2021), ralphwg (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:42 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tracee
I also needed to replace that small hose from the tank to the rail, and was also told that I had to buy the whole rail assembly, which I didn't want to do, on principle. Yes, the hose is different diameters on either end. First, I bought a hose at local parts store that had an assortment of various preformed bends (Dayco(?) / Davco(?) part number 8783(7) and cut out the suitable bend section that I needed. To deal with the different diameter ends, I used an old hot-rodder trick, and squeezed a smaller diameter hose stub into one end and cut it flush. Clamped, it's not going anywhere. Voila: needed part for a few bucks and enough hose sections left for other repairs. Years later, no issues.
Not that I cheap out on car repairs, but I'm a tinkerer and get satisfaction looking for creative solutions to problems....
​​​​
Great Idea! May go that route if my double clamp doesn't last.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:09 PM
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

If there is large demand Samco sports can make a complete kit of silicon hoses for the XK/XKR 4.2litres and 5.0litres. Someone in the States should enquire what the minimum quantity order is and possibly do a group buy.

I've used Samco hoses from my motorcycles and the fit is like OEM and will last much longer.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:15 PM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

I've said this in other post and idk if y'all seen it,but let me say it 1 more time.Put some coolant additive in your Jag cause the coolant is not stable enough at high mileage or age and will start busting pipes.My 07 XKR was having a new leak every month until I started using coolant additive.My 2014 XKR is at the same mileage my leaks had started on the 07 XKR and my 14 XKR haven't had not 1 leak to start yet so that means it's WORKING!

Old 02-25-2021, 01:20 AM

An ( I hope ) complete listing of the water system on an 07 4.2 XK:OEM Teilenummer:

1) C2P2137

2) C2P24291

3) C2P24290

4) C2P2137

5) C2P2186

6) C2P2157

7) C2P2164

8) C2P14605

9) AJ811761

10) AJ811766

11) AJ811763

12) C2P11448

13) AJ89469

14) AJ811793

List does not contain clamps and fasteners, as these are ( I have heard ) reusable.

One of the gaskets is only available in a 10 pack, but itīs not pricey.

Hermann

The following 2 users liked this post by Arminius:
gkubrak (02-25-2021), guy (04-13-2022)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 AM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

The Jaguar branded hoses typically include clamps.

007XKR (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong
The Jaguar branded hoses typically include clamps.
YES! There are clamps on some, but the company who sold me this mentioned, that there are some metal clamps, too, which are reusable.

Donīt know ...

Items are in ( opened ) Jaguar plastic bags. Leaper everywhere.

Hermann

Quick Reply: Coolant hose help!