XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

X150 Service manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default X150 Service manual

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to buy a service manual for a 2010-2015 XKR

Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

jagdocs.com

Old 02-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
jagdocs.com
Thanks . I see it is a PDF file but I would like to get a hard copy document. Is there somewhere that they are available.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If you really want a HUGE print out, only way I know is print it yourself. Have a look at the page count first!!

Old 02-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
If you really want a HUGE print out, only way I know is print it yourself. Have a look at the page count first!!
Yep I agree I don't want to print it out I would like to buy a printed manual. Hopefully someone still has the technology to sell a printed copy otherwise I'll most likely need to get a CD or thumb drive. I've got a PDF of my old XJS on the desk top and it got corrupted and won't open anymore. I don't want to get in the same situation with a download. It is sometime easier for me to sit in the car with a manual then with a laptop or tablet.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's gonna cost a lot (if anyone does it). I'd be guessing $500+ as a custom job.

It's a free download or a few $$$ and then you get a choice of file kind. Not ideal but cheap.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Be interesting to see what someplace like Staples would charge. Even if it was $300 it would be cheap.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Printed versions of Workshop Service Manuals

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It is sometime easier for me to sit in the car with a manual then with a laptop or tablet.
Gosh, I'm a big fella but even I don't have a lap that big! Full Workshop Service Manuals, Parts Catalogs, Wiring Guides, TSBs . . . etc etc etc for both my S-Type and XK8 . . . each run to over 4,000 pages. To be fair, I would print and collate double sided . . . so each would run out at 2,000 pages . . . that's 4 reams of paper!

The mind boggles at which would be worse - lugging all that around; sitting in the car with all that on my lap; or fear of dropping the lot on the ground as I exit the car . . . realizing it would take me hours to re-collate it.

Surely, in digital format, provided it is all well bookmarked, you identify and print out ONLY the section or pages for the task at hand; staple them; and take those (only those) out to the car. Anyone who doubts this has never juggled the entire WIRING GUIDE for all models of the X100 or S-Type across each of their 10 year production runs. Over time, you may collect several of these bundles, some a single page, others 30+ stapled together. File these if needs be . . . easy-peasy given Jaguar's section and page numbering.

We can all identify with losing valuable reference data when a PC dies - or more accurately, a HDD dies. I assume this is what happened with your XJ-S manual. My sole advice, after years in IT, is "the greater the pain; the more resolute you will be not to repeat your error . . . USE BACKUPS". I know this won't alleviate your loss, because I too have lost data . . . and far more critical than a replaceable workshop manual. Never again!

Saving and storing "father" and "grandfather" backups is so cheap, quick and easy. Options abound . . . 4,000 pages of PDFs can fit onto a CD you burn; a USB flash drive or SD card, or for absolute whoppers, about $20-30 will buy you a 2 bay USB3.0 cloning station where you can mirror 1 or 2 HDD in the blink of an eye. The microSD cards I use are fingernail sized and would hold nearly 500,000 PDF pages.

Final point . . . I am advised that Jaguar themselves no longer use, or supply, printed versions of their Workshop Service Manuals for recent or current models. That doesn't inhibit you from getting a custom service to supply, but as others have stated, expect a massive bill . . . and come with a BIG lap!

Cheers,

Ken

Old 02-26-2016, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

I guess when I mentioned a paper copy I didn't get into the details of how I would expect to do it. I don't know how many have been familiar with various hard copy manuals but let me give you an example of one that I had. We bought a 89 Volvo 740 new and when I did so I bought part of the manual set. The total manual set consisted of around 5 hard cover binders which were about 4" thick. In each binder there were 5 , 6 or 7 individual bound sections that were removable. Example: engine section , suspension system , wiring system , drive train , brake systems and so on. Each booklet consisted of maybe 50 to 200 pages with diagrams . So if I wanted to troubleshoot interior wiring issues I would pull out the section on that . All pages were double side printed and covered form , function and diagnostics. Each section was sold separately so I purchased the sections I felt I had the less knowledge in first and would buy a new section on an as need basis. Now mind you I did not buy the complete set although I should have as we still have the car now with 357K miles on it . I still think I can get sections on ebay but I don't need any more. I've got about 75% of the total set which is 3 binders. I'll get a picture posted later of one of the binders. So back to Jaguar , and even though I have not seen any service manual information I would believe it is also broken down into sections. So I could also see that when I get a CD I can run sections that I feel a need to have handy or even load various ones on SD card and use it on a tablet. Just my thought process here how many would want a section on wiring to thumb through as you are looking for how to wire in the newer style headlights or one on transmission drain and flush. Now what would be interesting to me is to have the ability to either load and read the service manual on my infotainment screen or have it loaded into the cars SW so I can access it from in the car. Then there is the cloud through your cell and BT to the infotainment system. My 2 cents

Old 02-26-2016, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

I just took a quick look and here are some of the individual volvo sections on ebay.

volvo 740 service manual | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-23-Gr...BSrJIZ&vxp=mtr

Last edited by jagtoes; 02-26-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

So back to Jaguar , and even though I have not seen any service manual information I would believe it is also broken down into sections. So I could also see that when I get a CD I can run sections that I feel a need to have handy or even load various ones on SD card and use it on a tablet.
Bingo! Much of what you seek is freely available . . . check out Stickies here and on other JaguarForum sections, as maintained by Super MOD Graham [GGG]. Then jump over and say "Thank you" to Gus, another of our gurus at JagRepair.com who has most of what you seek. Most of us eventually cannot resist picking up the entire shooting match on CD or DVD disk. I now have half a dozen, covering a vast range of near modern to classic Jaguars . . . all around that 3-4,000 PDF pages . . . and each costing $10-20 including p&p.

The microSD card (I only need 1 for all this documentation AND the ISD/SDD software running my Mangoose OBDII Diagnostic System) fits into a 7" tablet which in turn fits into a padded sleeve, which I carry with me.

But paper is good too - especially if we resist the urge to pulp trees for entire paper manuals that are rarely read. Your example of using printed wiring diagrams SPECIFIC to your model, variant, and MY is excellent - in that situation, I do the same - but not the entire Jaguar Wiring Guide which would be downright unwieldy . . . and much of it irrelevant to your vehicle.

Ken

Old 02-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Bingo! Much of what you seek is freely available . . . check out Stickies here and on other JaguarForum sections, as maintained by Super MOD Graham [GGG]. Then jump over and say "Thank you" to Gus, another of our gurus at JagRepair.com who has most of what you seek. Most of us eventually cannot resist picking up the entire shooting match on CD or DVD disk. I now have half a dozen, covering a vast range of near modern to classic Jaguars . . . all around that 3-4,000 PDF pages . . . and each costing $10-20 including p&p.

The microSD card (I only need 1 for all this documentation AND the ISD/SDD software running my Mangoose OBDII Diagnostic System) fits into a 7" tablet which in turn fits into a padded sleeve, which I carry with me.

But paper is good too - especially if we resist the urge to pulp trees for entire paper manuals that are rarely read. Your example of using printed wiring diagrams SPECIFIC to your model, variant, and MY is excellent - in that situation, I do the same - but not the entire Jaguar Wiring Guide which would be downright unwieldy . . . and much of it irrelevant to your vehicle.

Ken
Thanks for the info on Jagrepair.com and just taking a quick look it can satisfy my need for the 2012 wiring information. It looks like a good resource for earlier versions as it hasn't caught up to 2012+ MY cars but I assume it will grow. One of the things I miss in some of the newer manuals is Fit , Form and Function. As a for instance I have been concerned about my charging system and recently had my alternator replaced because of my concern. Now understanding the 2010-2015MY cars have a different charging system then the earlier cars I would like to see Jaguars Functional information as to how it works. Right now we are getting 2nd hand information on how it works but I would like to see something explaining how it works. As for the other sources on info on a SD or thumb drive I haven't seen that yet but will continue to look. Thanks for the lead.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

I would like to see Jaguars Functional information as to how it works. Right now we are getting 2nd hand information on how it works but I would like to see something explaining how it works. As for the other sources on info on a SD or thumb drive I haven't seen that yet but will continue to look. Thanks for the lead.
OK, I hear you . . . and perhaps you are correct in treating much of the advice here as 2nd hand. That's because it is (in most cases) Jaguar advice that owners fail to know or choose to ignore! The fact is that Jaguar, like most modern prestige car manufacturers, spends a literal fortune on info and documentation. Some is targetted at owners - others at Service Workshops. For the committed DIY maintainer, it is all vital.

Unfortunately, I am constantly amazed that owners are not even aware that their 10 year old Jaguar comes with an Owners Manual and up to a dozen more for specific features of their car . . . or admit to never having read them!

That explains my reference to 4,000 pages - a vast array of Jaguar docs that go well beyond the comprehensive Workshop Service Manuals. They include Parts Catalogs (very good pics and cutaways that can help identify parts, as well as vital ordering info), Wiring Guides, and what it sounds like you are referring to re Form and Function - Jaguar's TSBs.

These are the Technical Service Bulletins Jaguar has issued to all its dealer network and they may include anything from a revised procedure (and why) right through to the monsters that are distributed prior to the launch of a new vehicle or significant model upgrade. These latter ones are much prized for the explanations you seek.

You are now arriving at why so many here owe genuine thanks to [JagV8], [GGG], [Gus], ]Brutal], [Thermo], [JoycesJag] and the list goes on and on . . . for assembling and sharing all their data. But so vast is all this info, that many eventually opt for buying as much as possible (relevant to their SPECIFIC variant, MY etc) in a simple digital form (usually CD) . . . then use by displaying or printing needed sections or pages.

Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (02-26-2016)