XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

self leveling headlights

Old 07-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default self leveling headlights

when the car is started the left headlight goes through the motion of dipping down and self leveling the right headlight does not. I believe the right heqadlight was replaced in a previous accident. Is it possible that the headlight was not a self leveling light and that is why it does not dip at start up. How can one tell what kind of light it is?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcs004
when the car is started the left headlight goes through the motion of dipping down and self leveling the right headlight does not. I believe the right heqadlight was replaced in a previous accident. Is it possible that the headlight was not a self leveling light and that is why it does not dip at start up. How can one tell what kind of light it is?
I discovered the exact same problem with the pre-owned 08 I bought the first time I drove it at night. Local Jaguar dealer had to order and replace the entire headlight assembly.

Man I hope this was a one time anomaly as my factory warranty expires in Nov and I discovered the on-line cost of the assembly was $1300 w/o labor
http://www.gaudinjaguarparts.com/par...layCatalogid=0

Do extended warranties cover something like this?

Good luck

Tom

Last edited by TomServo; 07-04-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you could do LADA if you don't won't to replace the $1300.00 light,is get your your machanic to rig up a piece of string from your left foot big toe to you light,cost would be ferry ride,tank of gass,string and a box of bear!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I noticed after reading this that mine no longer do the self check leveling when you first turn them on. My garage is level so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I'll have to do some checking

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

when replacing headlight assemblies, many times they have to be programmed with ids/sdd by the dealer to auto level. Ide lay moeny the body shop didnt know this and just stuck it in. file a supplement to your original claim and take to the dealer to fix and be reimbused

Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM

I replaced my right headlight due to it being damaged from a previous accident. It was replaced with a used one in great condition. It auto levels without being programmed. I went out last night and mine do not auto level when in my garage. So I back the car out some so that it sat on an incline and turned them on. They auto leved. So I guess if the area is already level I don't notice it doing the auto self check thing.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by 07XKJaguar
I replaced my right headlight due to it being damaged from a previous accident. It was replaced with a used one in great condition. It auto levels without being programmed. I went out last night and mine do not auto level when in my garage. So I back the car out some so that it sat on an incline and turned them on. They auto leved. So I guess if the area is already level I don't notice it doing the auto self check thing.
No theyre supposed to drop down and come up when you start the car with the lights on. except for the newer adaptive cornering XK headlights. They go down, come up, goes crosseyed and then corrects Not all new lights have to be programmed, only if they do not auto check when you star the car with lights on. And it can be only 1 light or both that fail to self check

Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How do you know if you have them? I have the adaptive cruise control.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM

I believe the adaptive cruise and headlights were a package together.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks,I have them,seem to have all three goodie packages.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2009 XKR has leveling headlights but not adaptive cruise control. My low beam headlights do the self check on startup. They dip down then come back up. I haven't noticed them move horizontally on start up but they point left or right in response to turning steering wheel. I thought it had cornering lights when turn signal was activated until I observed the lights moving without turn signal activation.

My car was 12 years old when I bought it and the headlights were badly out of adjustment. The left side was very low and right side a little high. Right side needed directed further right also. So...my question is what activates the self leveling feature to adjust the headlights up/down while driving??

New to Jaguar Forums...this is my first post!

Old 12-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)

Originally Posted by Deabs
My 2009 XKR has leveling headlights but not adaptive cruise control. My low beam headlights do the self check on startup. They dip down then come back up. I haven't noticed them move horizontally on start up but they point left or right in response to turning steering wheel. I thought it had cornering lights when turn signal was activated until I observed the lights moving without turn signal activation.

My car was 12 years old when I bought it and the headlights were badly out of adjustment. The left side was very low and right side a little high. Right side needed directed further right also. So...my question is what activates the self leveling feature to adjust the headlights up/down while driving??
Okay so I'm a little wiser now. My car has the AFS which is demonstrated by the swiveling projector lamp in headlight assembly as well as the cornering lamps. Below from service manual:

"Two levels of headlamp are available; Bi-xenon or Bi-xenon with Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS). The AFS headlamp has a swiveling projector module which moves the headlamp beam in the direction of travel. The AFS headlamp also features a cornering/static bending lamp which illuminates the area at the side of the vehicle when turning into driveways for example."

Old 12-14-2021, 03:08 PM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcs004
i remember my 2007 XKR would do it on start up where the head lights look down and look back up and it would look so cool.The newer models like my 2013 don't do it and you'll notice they just move around slightly and it's barely noticeable unless it's an adjustment switch i don't know about to turn the feature on