Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   XK exhaust mid-pipe on an XKR (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/xk-exhaust-mid-pipe-xkr-128671/)

flyc2c 10-13-2014 03:32 PM

XK exhaust mid-pipe on an XKR

In the quest for more sound, has anyone ever tried installing the mid-pipe section from an XK onto an XKR? This seems like a cost effective method of increasing the sound without destroying your budget if you can find a used pipe.

XK's have one less resonator than the R. I'll be giving it a try perhaps tomorrow. If it's not enough I'll be cutting out the resonator and installing an X-pipe.

Info:

I've pulled fuse 19 but I want more but not too much more. I want to keep the OEM muffler and my money so a Spires/Mina etc is out of the question. I don't want to sound like a Mustang with a cherry bomb and be annoyed on the interstate either. I've read all the other exhaust post and I want to keep the electronically active muffler. I like to be quiet when I want and loud(er) when I want.

8bit 10-14-2014 10:59 AM

Spires mid section works with the stock back box, so you get to keep that but lose some money. If you keep your stock mid section then you can relatively easily swap it back if you decide to sell the car, which you won't be able to do if you modify your existing mid section.

flyc2c 10-14-2014 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 8bit (Post 1078234)
Spires mid section works with the stock back box, so you get to keep that but lose some money. If you keep your stock mid section then you can relatively easily swap it back if you decide to sell the car, which you won't be able to do if you modify your existing mid section.

I guess it's all relative. To me $1000 is not "some" money. IMHO it's overpriced. I have an XK "R". I'm acquiring an XK mid pipe. Therefore I keep my original. ;)

DGL 10-14-2014 11:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Remove the 2 resonated mid pipes and install an X pipe which is standard on the performance exhaust. I owned an XKR175 with the 2 resonators and my current XKR with the performance exhaust option "X pipe" sounds so much more exotic. I never miss a chance to hear it roar. No need to buy it from Jaguar. I believe they are available after market.

flyc2c 10-14-2014 02:49 PM

My plan is to try the single resonator first and if I need more I'll go with installing the X-pipe in the spare mid-pipe. I'd like to keep the original just in case. I'd love to hear yours. Where in Canada are you? I find myself in Montreal and Toronto on occasion.

DGL 10-14-2014 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by flyc2c (Post 1078409)
My plan is to try the single resonator first and if I need more I'll go with installing the X-pipe in the spare mid-pipe. I'd like to keep the original just in case. I'd love to hear yours. Where in Canada are you? I find myself in Montreal and Toronto on occasion.

Halifax

With the "X pipe" performance exhaust option on my car I have the same exhaust system as the XKR-S. I always drive in dynamic mode to just hear it roar.

8bit 10-15-2014 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by flyc2c (Post 1078289)
I guess it's all relative. To me $1000 is not "some" money. IMHO it's overpriced. I have an XK "R". I'm acquiring an XK mid pipe. Therefore I keep my original. ;)

OK (and I agree $1k is a lot, surprised they cost that much over there) but by the time you buy the stock XK mid section and have the resonator removed, how much will you have spent?

I did also read somewhere that the 4.2 XK and XKR mid sections are not interchangeable, some sort of difference in the rear section perhaps, but I can't be sure. Spires have two seperate mid section parts, one for the XK and the other for the XKR so I guess they have to be made to different shapes.

Good luck in any case, if you get what you're after and spend less than an off-the-shelf item like the Spires etc. then well done to you :)

flyc2c 10-15-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by DGL (Post 1078689)
Halifax

Perfect! I get there occasionally as well! I'll PM you when I'm heading that way. Love the maritime museum. Great town.

Ngarara 10-16-2014 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 8bit (Post 1078736)
I did also read somewhere that the 4.2 XK and XKR mid sections are not interchangeable, some sort of difference in the rear section perhaps, but I can't be sure. Spires have two seperate mid section parts, one for the XK and the other for the XKR so I guess they have to be made to different shapes.

They don't look significantly different in the workshop manual, but there may be something subtle. There's certainly a difference between the 4.2 and 5.0 mid sections.

R_Rated 10-16-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by DGL (Post 1078298)
Remove the 2 resonated mid pipes and install an X pipe which is standard on the performance exhaust. I owned an XKR175 with the 2 resonators and my current XKR with the performance exhaust option "X pipe" sounds so much more exotic. I never miss a chance to hear it roar. No need to buy it from Jaguar. I believe they are available after market.

This ought to work....

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

R_Rated 10-16-2014 02:55 PM

I have the Mina which sounds nice - but makes the car sound... well... "nice." May even be a little quieter than stock. I need to make an effort to do this.

Any measurements on the resonator to replace the X pipe with? 2.5" pipes - yes?

flyc2c 10-16-2014 03:51 PM

I roughly measured the OD of the pipe as it's slips into the muffler. I got 2.275 inches with my Mitutoyo dial calipers. So it's a 60mm pipe. I'm wagging a 2 1/4 will slip in. Don't have it all off yet but will keep this thread updated.