Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   XK owners in USA need to see this (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/xk-owners-usa-need-see-214138/)

Queen and Country 02-18-2019 10:36 AM

XK owners in USA need to see this

Just like very few in Europe know about or understand NASCAR,
Few in America realize the astronomic capabilities of a small company in Britain making engines.
Being intimate with both cultures its perfectly understandable, high-design only comes from large manufacturers like Ford, Chevy.

Only die hard Jaguar enthusiasts were aware of Jaguar's incredible engine designs.
In recent times, folks here associate the superb AJ8gen3 in our cars to Ford.

Check out the video below, a small company (Cosworth) making the most incredible engine on the planet right now.
1000hp out of a naturally aspirated 6.5 liter.
Note how few resources they started with, its not like they were given a V12 block made by the big boys to optimize.
And the correct choosing of priorities important to end user.
The point is that Ford would never allow Aston Martin to do this.
And this is exactly what Jaguar pulled off by somewhat going around Ford.

Stuart S 02-18-2019 11:45 AM

An incredible engine and symphonic masterpiece that's a work of art on the outside.

But how can a man who is responsible for creating such a thing of beauty wear such a ghastly shirt?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a4d2ec843a.jpg

TexasTraveler 02-18-2019 12:09 PM

^^^+1, I was thinking the same thing... :icon_laugh:

Queen and Country 02-18-2019 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 2029105)
But how can a man who is responsible for creating such a thing of beauty wear such a ghastly shirt?

Its the same thing responsible for the engine...British tendency to defy convention.

Its actually a lovely print in itself, reminds me of women's scarves.

Stuart S 02-18-2019 12:24 PM

Exactly. It belongs on a woman.

Robman25 02-18-2019 04:14 PM

I wonder how much the optional extra it’s going to cost for the 80gm of lacquer is going to cost?

MarkyUK 02-18-2019 05:08 PM

Sod the shirt, is that a ski slope he's cultivating as a stomach? Makes Jeremy C look positively waif like! :D

Hey these creative masterminds are hardly going to be snappy dressers...Einstein by his own admission didn't care what he wore

Stuart S 02-18-2019 09:50 PM

:icon_hijack:

Deleted after being apprehended. :icon_wcam:

Tervuren 02-19-2019 08:26 AM

What shirt?

shemp 02-19-2019 09:16 AM

Holy crap. Didn't take long to veer off subject! :D:D

pwpacp 02-19-2019 09:22 AM

Thats an aweful lot of stress to apply to an engine's structure, especially at those RPMs!
It will be interesting to see results of testing outside a dyno lab.

There, we're back on topic!

mosesbotbol 02-19-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2029067)
Check out the video below, a small company (Cosworth) making the most incredible engine on the planet right now.

Cosworth may be small, but not small in terms of what they've done in engineering both in Europe and USA marques. They are one of most heralded names an automaker can associate with.

kj07xk 02-19-2019 12:56 PM

Had to watch the video again, and I'm left with the same impression, that thing sounds nasty!
Like a massive swarm of angry bees, not sure I'd wear a flowered shirt anywhere near it (or anywhere else, but that's going off topic again...).
So if you could actually find place to run it up to WOT before you ran out of road, you'd be forever deaf.
So what does it sound like at "just toodling around town RPMs"? One angry bee?
Think I'll stick to a nice V8 throbbing rumble.

jagtoes 02-19-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 2029673)
Had to watch the video again, and I'm left with the same impression, that thing sounds nasty!
Like a massive swarm of angry bees, not sure I'd wear a flowered shirt anywhere near it (or anywhere else, but that's going off topic again...).
So if you could actually find place to run it up to WOT before you ran out of road, you'd be forever deaf.
So what does it sound like at "just toodling around town RPMs"? One angry bee?
Think I'll stick to a nice V8 throbbing rumble.

The sound of these small piston type engines are great. I enjoy the Ferrari challenge races for the same reason. Sounds like angry mob of yellow jackets.

Queen and Country 02-19-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2029658)
Cosworth may be small, but not small in terms of what they've done in engineering both in Europe and USA marques. They are one of most heralded names an automaker can associate with.

Yes most in America dont know that after Ferrari, Cosworth has the most number of wins.

Then there is Adrian Newey, the other name behind this engine. Holy smokes!!. Has there ever been an engineer/aerodynamicist more accomplished and still making number1 hits today.
Jaguar almost had him, signed contract and all, Ford sabotaged it. It would have changed the history of Jaguar as we know it. He won every race since then.

They have a promo video- pretty cool.

mosesbotbol 02-19-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2029699)
Yes most in America dont know that after Ferrari, Cosworth has the most number of wins.

Then there is Adrian Newey, the other name behind this engine. Holy smokes!!. Has there ever been an engineer/aerodynamicist more accomplished and still making number1 hits today.
Jaguar almost had him, signed contract and all, Ford sabotaged it. It would have changed the history of Jaguar as we know it. He won every race since then.

They have a promo video- pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_rvuZBo2Y

Well, Red Bull was Jaguar 15+ years ago...