XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Pardon me, but changing the look of the X150 with a 'body-kit' is as questionable as giving Sophia Loren a facelift.

If one desires the look of the F-Type, why not simply purchase an F-Type and be done?

I apologise if I offend anyone with my opinion as styling, like women, is subjective...

Old 08-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

hmmm, agreed to some extent except that the XK was always going to evolve in looks, it was an 8 year old shape after all. So the f type front end looks pretty awesome, I also like the mock up because it reminds me of the Aston Zagatto. But the f type back end is not my cuppa. Nor is the ride, and the absence of room inside.

So the initial post was premised on that look being something that the XK could have evolved into, rather than being discontinued - or at least that was how I took it. On that front, I would have been in line for it.

I wouldn't necessarily want to take the front end off my car to put that one on as a mod, though.

So it isn't so much a question of would I give Sophia Loren a facelift, more along the lines of would I give her the boot to make room for Kate Upton.

Yes.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Hey Bruce,
I attended the "unveiling" premiere of the Aston Zagato a couple of years ago at Galpin Aston in Van Nuys, CA. I thought it was hideous looking, yet I agree with everything else you said. And as to customizing one's car, my feeling is why not make it your own creation unless you're purchasing as a future investment. When I put the F/X Design rear bumper/diffuser on my car, I just wanted to personalize it a little bit and give it a bit more aggressive look. I didn't like the front end package from the same company, but if there were a bolt on f-type front end that was reasonably priced, I'd be very tempted.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Cheers. Over here the cars are so much more expensive that you are reluctant doing too much as a mod because they are harder to sell. A 2010 XKR still gets around $100K, and you'd peel off probably $40K of that doing something out there with it. Now if I was in the US, on the other hand, I'd go berserker and mod to my heart's content.

I don't look at mine as an investment, I generally look at losing about 20% per annum on the cost, but I still don't like copping it in the sphincter come trade in time, so I try to keep the mods subtle or reversible.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Is this dead?

I think the colour is having an effect here. Dont know if the contrasts would be as complimentary in the other colors.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
Pardon me, but changing the look of the X150 with a 'body-kit' is as questionable as giving Sophia Loren a facelift.

If one desires the look of the F-Type, why not simply purchase an F-Type and be done?

I apologise if I offend anyone with my opinion as styling, like women, is subjective...

I agree. The XK does not need a facelift. It is a timeless design that has stood the test of time. Just like the original e-Type. Just leave it alone and let it be. Putting on a silly bolt on body-kit will just ruin it. If you want the F-Type...then get an F-type. Changing a classic design for the sake of 'change' just doesn't make sense.

It does not get any better than this.

Attached Thumbnails Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made-jag2.jpg  

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 03-21-2016 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NBCat (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I do not think those parts are aluminum, in which case, the answer is no.

The cost of making that look in aluminum vs what the Xk has would be sub orbital. The XK's selling point is its aluminum body, going to fiberglass would be a little underwhelming.

The XK is to some extent a DB9 combed over for cost cutting measures in manufacturing. This includes the extremely flat hood relative to a piece of sheet metal, as well as the square flat fenders with very little 3d depth. (Huge savings onmold, pressing machine, run time, etc.)

I *do* like the look, the wrapping hood is really nice compared to the square XK's design, as is the floating spoiler.

It would of been nice to soften the hood hump, and make it longer, terminating in the nose instead of the hood.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

XK could've used an updated transmission and little more finished rear under tray. Aston and Maserati have a more evolved rear diffusor which the Jag is just a plastic valance... I would've also like to have seen an LED gauge screen and more wood; especially on the door panels.

The outside shape is a home run and would still look fresh if it was relaunched with the above updates...

jahummer (06-13-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
XK could've used an updated transmission and little more finished rear under tray. Aston and Maserati have a more evolved rear diffusor which the Jag is just a plastic valance... I would've also like to have seen an LED gauge screen and more wood; especially on the door panels.

The outside shape is a home run and would still look fresh if it was relaunched with the above updates...
Couldn't have put it any better moses I love your ideas

mosesbotbol (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member

Found this on the front page of our forum today ...Think the designers at Jaguar just might have the 2+2 coupe covered .

Imagine this in a 2 door

Attached Thumbnails Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made-jaguar-xf-web.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Look again, there is something special about this front end. No fundamentally its nothing like the Ftype!! The problem with all modern jag front ends is that there is a front lip. Not only does it make the car look needlessly long, on an already long car (XK) but it fights the natural lines and looks like a aftermarket kit. What is so incredible about this design is that its more nostalgic than the factory and less kitcar like. I think even the oval would look this good if it was sloping back (like in all the original jags). Bloodly clever this design. dont know if it makes the car airborne at high speeds (I doubt it) dont know what it does for safety. Damn its beautiful!

Shall we try with our ovals the same look?

Old 03-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

There is a saying frequently used by my American friends that applies in this instance: 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

Old 03-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

I just studied the XK front bumper and realized why he used one from the Ftype. You cant make the bottom part tuck inwards and tapper the side. The Ftype you can do both. This is the best bumper. I bet it would make the Ftype look better than it does now.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
There is a saying frequently used by my American friends that applies in this instance: 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'
Hey dude, I needed to get back to you on a question you had about lowend torque on oversquare. Asked my friend, he says in the 80's they proved this in circletrack mag, they tried various combinations, it was the cam duration that determined torque the most. As you say cams are going to be the first thing to go in combustion engines, so there is hope for oversquare.

Pardon the thread hijack.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I think even the oval would look this good if it was sloping back (like in all the original jags).
Interesting observation. Maybe its just me, but after scrolling through the 'picture post thread', I still have the same impression, that the 07-09 cars (especially the XK's vs the XKR's) appear to have a slight slope to the oval. The later cars appear vertical, but the earlier ones appear sloped (have to check it out when I uncover mine in a couple of weeks), even with the protruding lower lip. Maybe its an illusion, created by the curvature from the fog lights on down.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Interesting observation. Maybe its just me, but after scrolling through the 'picture post thread', I still have the same impression, that the 07-09 cars (especially the XK's vs the XKR's) appear to have a slight slope to the oval. The later cars appear vertical, but the earlier ones appear sloped (have to check it out when I uncover mine in a couple of weeks), even with the protruding lower lip. Maybe its an illusion, created by the curvature from the fog lights on down.
Its not an illusion. They have been trying to flare-out the front end on every subsequent model after the original 07 xk. Each year protruding the chin and cheeks. It is in fact like plastic surgery on Bruce Jenner.

The etype and subsequent xk until this 150 generation all had front ends that were more torpedo shaped.

kj07xk (03-23-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Its not an illusion. They have been trying to flare-out the front end on every subsequent model after the original 07 xk. Each year protruding the chin and cheeks. It is in fact like plastic surgery on Bruce Jenner.

The etype and subsequent xk until this 150 generation all had front ends that were more torpedo shaped.
It could also simply be mold deformation, there are tremendous forces at work here, and if you do not replace your molds, the shape changes.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

on the 2010+ they even added meaningless cheekbone like protusion to widen it. And meaningless air scoops on the lower sides to make the bottom part of the bumper as wide as the top. There are too many elements competing with each other.

This guy has done the opposite. There is only one element and focal point. everything else flows IN the direction of movement. Jaguar's design does not, it seems to want to fight the wind.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member

Hot off the press......

Our Jaguar XK conversion is NOT sold as a DIY body kit.

Full conversion: £10,000

Includes...

Front and rear bumpers
Side skirts
Front wings
Bonnet wing tops
Front lights
Active rear spoiler (see video)
Wing vent strikes
Unique custom made grill
Wheel spacers
New amplified FM antenna
Badge
Fitting
Full respray

Fitting involves major surgery to the front, the new bonnet tops and wings are blended into the original bonnet. The conversion takes us around 2 months to complete. We will be releasing only a very limited number of these Jaguars and no two will be exactly the same colour. We are currently working on our third car, a 2010 Jaguar XKR which will be released for sale in the coming months. If you can bring your Jaguar XK to Leeds we offer this complete conversion starting at £10,000. Your choice of colour as long as it’s not Ferrari Corsa red, Jaguar British racing green or Aston Martin Mercury silver with ghost stripes...

Attached Thumbnails Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made-jaguar-xkr-body-kit-before-after.jpg   Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made-xk-body-styling.jpg  
Old 06-13-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

nice !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this the xkr that Jaguar should have made