Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   XKR Oil cooling (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/xkr-oil-cooling-217243/)

pauledddy 05-02-2019 03:08 PM

XKR Oil cooling

Evening guys,

Looking to try to get better oil cooling for my 5.0 SC XKR, as the standard oil cooler, being in the engine V, isn't adequate enough. (Reaching 130°C oil temps around the nurburgring)
Is there a way of adding a second air to air oil cooler? As i don't fancy trying to find a way of modifying the original cooler or taking out the supercharger/intake manifold just to access it!

Thanks in advanced

Ranchero50 05-02-2019 04:30 PM

Once you pull the nose off you'll see how much room you have to add another cooler. There's actually a good bit of room but the plumbing will be a nightmare. You'd probably have better luck with a larger cooler versus multiple ones.

pauledddy 05-02-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2064414)
Once you pull the nose off you'll see how much room you have to add another cooler. There's actually a good bit of room but the plumbing will be a nightmare. You'd probably have better luck with a larger cooler versus multiple ones.

That's the issue, the standard oil "cooler" uses the coolant as well, so would be a massive job to upgrade!

TXFireblade 05-02-2019 05:12 PM

How are you reading the oil temperature and do you know where the temp sensor is? Also, what was the coolant temperature when the oil was at 130 deg C?

pauledddy 05-02-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade (Post 2064438)
How are you reading the oil temperature and do you know where the temp sensor is?

With the torque app via ODB, it uses the standard sensor that's in the diff I imagine?

Cambo 05-02-2019 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by pauledddy (Post 2064440)
With the torque app via ODB, it uses the standard sensor that's in the diff I imagine?

Um, are we talking about the engine oil or the diff oil?

Are you using the additional PIDs for Torque to read the oil temperature? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...p-more-213503/

Cee Jay 05-02-2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by pauledddy (Post 2064373)
................. adding a second air to air oil cooler? ............

That'd be tricky, it'd probably have to be an Air-to-Oil cooler, as oil isn't air.
I know, semantics.

pauledddy 05-02-2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 2064445)
Um, are we talking about the engine oil or the diff oil?

Are you using the additional PIDs for Torque to read the oil temperature? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...p-more-213503/

Yes I was using that exact one
Engine oil, I didn't mean to put diff lol

pauledddy 05-02-2019 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2064451)
That'd be tricky, it'd probably have to be an Air-to-Oil cooler, as oil isn't air.
I know, semantics.

You know what I meant Cee Jay!

Cambo 05-02-2019 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by pauledddy (Post 2064453)
Yes I was using that exact one
Engine oil, I know how to read..

Okay, but you wrote "it uses the standard sensor that's in the diff I imagine?" hence my question.

So I would have the same question as TXFireblade, what was the engine coolant temp when the oil temp was up at 130degC?

pauledddy 05-02-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 2064456)
Okay, but you wrote "it uses the standard sensor that's in the diff I imagine?" hence my question.

So I would have the same question as TXFireblade, what was the engine coolant temp when the oil temp was up at 130degC?

Yeah I corrected myself

I can't remember what the coolant temperature was, but I know when I went around track that it flashed that it was too hot, plus he didn't type that second part so I didn't see that.
This has nothing to do with what I originally asked, if you can't help with my original question, don't comment. Simple.

Cambo 05-02-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by pauledddy (Post 2064470)
Yeah I corrected myself

I can't remember what the coolant temperature was, but I know when I went around track that it flashed that it was too hot, plus he didn't type that second part so I didn't see that.
This has nothing to do with what I originally asked, if you can't help with my original question, don't comment. Simple.

Well then, wish you good luck.

TXFireblade 05-02-2019 09:42 PM

Easy there tiger, he's (and the rest of us) is just trying to understand the question.

I don't have a detailed description of the flow through the lubrication system but based on the manual I think the flow goes from the sump (oil pan), through the oil pump, through the oil cooler, through the filter, into the block/heads/bearings/etc. and then back to the sump That would mean that the oil returning to the sump was at the highest temperature in it's cycle through the engine. If this is correct, the oil will start it's lubrication/cooling job having just left the cooler so it should be at the temperature of the coolant or thereabouts..

Ranchero50 05-03-2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by pauledddy (Post 2064417)
That's the issue, the standard oil "cooler" uses the coolant as well, so would be a massive job to upgrade!

The 4.2's use air and maybe coolant at the filter mount (not sure and it's been a while since I was down there). Anything is possible, especially if you can machine a remote filter housing and adapter plate for the block.

Do you have the free X150 service manual? Tons of excellent info in there about all of the systems on these cars.