Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

XKR Rear Windshield Advice Needed Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile XKR Rear Windshield Advice Needed Please

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice from those in this forum for my 2011 Jaguar XKR convertible.

Before the warranty expired in January 2017 (the car had an in-service date of January 3, 2012), I had noticed that one of the heating elements on the rear windshield had a gap in it (the element in the middle of the rear windshield). This means that a portion of the glass cannot be defrosted.

I notified the dealership and they indicated that the entire glass would need to be replaced and that this would be covered under warranty. They forgot to order the part and have now indicated that they will do so.

I am concerned that, a couple of years from now, my rear windshield will start leaking as I don't have as much faith in the dealer techs (vs the installation at the Jaguar factory) as they have very high turnover.

Do you think that this installation is so straightforward that I should have nothing to worry about?

Would you do the installation?

Apologies for what may seem like a basic question but the car has been almost perfect and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Since you can get it replaced under warranty, I guess I would do it. They should have some minimum warranty on their work, and if they totally screw it up, they may have to replace the whole top, on their dime.
If it leaks or comes loose sometime down the road, members on this forum have fixed their own, with the right glue and clamps. There is at least one thread here on the topic.

The following users liked this post:
nsjdj (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

FIRST I DONT KNOW IF Canadian CARS ARE DIFFERENT EH, BUT IN THE U.S. YOU CANNOT REPLACE THE GLASS. IT IS BONDED TO THE TOP WHICH MEENS YOU NEED A NEW TOP. OUR ISSUES ARE PREDOMINATLY THAT THE GLASS BECOMES UNBOND AND FALLS AWAY FROM THE TOP. SECOND ON THE DEALERSHIP EMPLOYEES NOT BEING ABLE TO DO THE JOB. WETHER NEW OR OLD WHO THE F*** WHATS TO DO A JOB THAT IS A PAIN IN THE *** FOR A WARRANTY TIME THAT PAYS 1/4 THE TIME IT TAKES. BECAUSE THEYRE JUST NOT DONE OFTEN. IVE SEEN 3 DONE UNDER WARRANTY IN 20 YEARS AND EVERYONE WAS SUBD OUT.WE SUB THESE JOBS OUT TO A TRIM SHOP AND GUESS WHAT THEY GET PAID THEIR FEE WE DO NOT. THEYRE EXPERIANCED AND TAKES THEM MORE THAN THE TIME ALLOWED. NOW MAYBE THE GUYS ON THE ASSEMBLY LINE CAN DO IT IN THAT TIME WHEN YOU INSTALL I DONT KNOW WHAT 10 A DAY?

nsjdj (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks for the info Brutal. Since my glass has fallen out, I'll be looking for a top shop.

Brutal (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

So, sounds like another reason to pursue the warranty fix, you may likely get a brand new top out of it.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Thanks for the info Brutal. Since my glass has fallen out, I'll be looking for a top shop.
Jack don't do that. Call Rick who owns Hockley Glass. He not only is great with all windshields RVs to luxury autos, he is the only one that I have ever seen do a fantastic job at bonding the glass back into the top. He redoes the whole bond not partial which means the top folded portion the glass bonds to is rebounded to the top, then the glass is bonded back to that. He warranties his work and I have never seen one of his jobs come back out. I have seen his work on this issue for the 2007 and up convertibles on cars he did years ago. That has lasted longer that the original did when new and still no pull away.
Rick
281-705-8502

Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks Brutal, I'll give him a call.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Brutal - I am going to go back to the dealership and ask them if they are only going to replace the glass. Also, excellent point on subbing it out -- I would feel better if that occurred.

Brutal (04-21-2017)