XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKRS in storage for 5 months: Battery plugged or Unplugged??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default XKRS in storage for 5 months: Battery plugged or Unplugged??

Hi jag lovers,

Next week-end I'll park the jag for the winter. It'll be in an heated garage where I don,t have a full access. I have two choices: Unplug the battery and everything should comeback live easily in april when I'll put the power on.

2nd: Stay plug and go every two months to put a charger on the battery for a few hours... I don't think I can let the battery charger on for all the winter. They have 30 cars in that garage. I guess they wouldn't like to have 30 chargers ON for 5 months!

I don't think the XKRS as so much electronical staying on when parked?

Any toughts?

TX
Guy

Old 10-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I used a battery tender jr. last winter and it worked perfectly. It's not "on" all the time, in fact, it's off most of the time. I very rarely ever saw it come on.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Battery Tenders are the right tool to keep both the battery and the car happy during storage, just charge in-place. It's pretty well accepted that the electrical draw is minimal... but if the garage owner doesn't agree, I'd think an extra $20 would cover the actual electric bill for five Tenders.

Rich

Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
Hi jag lovers,

Next week-end I'll park the jag for the winter. It'll be in an heated garage where I don,t have a full access. I have two choices: Unplug the battery and everything should comeback live easily in april when I'll put the power on.

2nd: Stay plug and go every two months to put a charger on the battery for a few hours... I don't think I can let the battery charger on for all the winter. They have 30 cars in that garage. I guess they wouldn't like to have 30 chargers ON for 5 months!

I don't think the XKRS as so much electronical staying on when parked?

Any toughts?

TX
Guy
I highly recommend the CTEK 3300 battery charger. This is a state-of-the-art charger that will stay hooked to the battery ALL THE TIME. It is a smart brain trickle charger and the same charger that Jaguar and Porsche sell with their respective logo on the device. You can buy it via Amazon for under $68.00. You will NOT have a power problem, NO weak or LOW voltage battery and no dead battery.

This will be the best $67.00 you spend on your car.

I use this model CTEK 3300 my Porsche 981 and the Jaguar XKR. One for each car.

Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive

CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive CTEK Comfort Indicator Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive

Hope this info helps. many other jag owners on this forum use the same charger. I did use a Battery Tender Jr brand, but discarded it as they have proven not to be very reliable and have a tendency to overheat and melt the outside casing. There are several comments made here on the Jaguar Forums reference this issue of long term charging while the car is stored for a period of months.

Here is what the CTEK looks like with the Jaguar logo...sells for over $110

Here is the link to discussion on these forums for ease of review.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...storage-80513/

Hopefully this info helps.

Attached Thumbnails XKRS in storage for 5 months: Battery plugged or Unplugged??-ctek-w-jaguar-logo-over-%24100.jpg   XKRS in storage for 5 months: Battery plugged or Unplugged??-jaguar-xkr-ctek-007.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by richzak; 10-20-2013 at 07:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
Quebecjag (10-21-2013), sherbercars (10-23-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I just had my Jag dealer permanently install my CTEK 3300 battery tender (which I learned about thanks to this forum) so that it's completely plug and play and hidden away. It's now very easy to plug it in for the winter months, keeping the cat alive and using very little power, while keeping the trunk fully closed. I bought the charger online and had it installed by the dealer all-in for less than $200. Inflate tires to 50 PSI and patiently await Spring...

Every XK owner on this forum swears by having a a good battery-tender. I like to learn from my elders!

The following users liked this post:
Quebecjag (10-21-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe the "Junior" Battery Tender isn't up to snuff? I've been using the dual-lead BTenders for years (metal housings) and they work flawlessly. Ask anyone with a boat they use for fishing ;-)

Rich

Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Rw99
Maybe the "Junior" Battery Tender isn't up to snuff? I've been using the dual-lead BTenders for years (metal housings) and they work flawlessly. Ask anyone with a boat they use for fishing ;-)

Rich
I use the Batyery Tender Jr only on my Honda ATV, but not any cars. It just gets way too hot, and I have a fear of fire when not at home. There is a comprehensive analysis from another Jag Forum user reference the battery tender product. Returns and warranty on the product appears to be very poor.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sharx8
I just had my Jag dealer permanently install my CTEK 3300 battery tender (which I learned about thanks to this forum) so that it's completely plug and play and hidden away. It's now very easy to plug it in for the winter months, keeping the cat alive and using very little power, while keeping the trunk fully closed. I bought the charger online and had it installed by the dealer all-in for less than $200. Inflate tires to 50 PSI and patiently await Spring...

Every XK owner on this forum swears by having a a good battery-tender. I like to learn from my elders!
You really should put it on blocks and not do any tire inflation business.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You really should put it on blocks and not do any tire inflation business.
I have read in many places on this forum and elsewhere that putting the car up on blocks is a bad idea because it puts the car and suspension under loads it does not normally experience. Since the tires are rated to 50 PSI, and that level of inflation prevents flat-spotting, that is what I plan to do.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I have read in many places on this forum and elsewhere that putting the car up on blocks is a bad idea because it puts the car and suspension under loads it does not normally experience. Since the tires are rated to 50 PSI, and that level of inflation prevents flat-spotting, that is what I plan to do.
That's correct. 'Up on blocks' is a very old misguided technique.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I just had my Jag dealer permanently install my CTEK 3300 battery tender !
Thanks all,

Just come back from my dealer for the oil change and 12 000 km inspection before I put the cat in the garage for the winter.

I've follow some recommandation and get a tender permanently installed on the battery. Cord 's a bit short, but anyways, no trouble and I'm ready for the winter.

I already miss the cat...

Guy

Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Just want to say... I love how you love your Jag ...Mr Quebecjag... Care for it like it's THE Best car you will ever own... Because quite frankly...

IT WILL BE!! ... It can't get better than the XKR-S

Loth

The following users liked this post:
Quebecjag (10-22-2013)