XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Locate Engine number on block

Old 09-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Locate Engine number on block

I just purchased a 1955 XK 140 Roadster "barn find" that I plan on getting restored. It was purchased from a family member that was the second owner and has had the vehicle since the 1960s. he had work done on the car before 2001, ran out of money and the car has been in storage ever since.

I would like to think this was a matching numbers Jag but I would like to prove it before I begin an expensive restoration.

This is my first Jag and I am definitely a novice.

I easily found the plate under the hood that lists the chassis, body engine and gear box numbers.

I did find a number stamp on the passenger side of what I would think is the engine block but the numbers do not make any sense to me. I am hoping this is not the actual engine number; if it is that would mean the engine was replaced when my uncle had it worked on before 2001. He is aware that engine work was done but not aware the engine was changed out. I have reviewed all of the receipts and I see no receipt for a new engine.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sorry pictures are upside down; not sure why!

Thanks.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Locate Engine number on block-img_3122.jpg   Locate Engine number on block-img_3190.jpg   Locate Engine number on block-img_3192.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Gary the chassis number is on the frame rail on top by the brake master cylinder. The Body number is on the scuttle on the drivers side. The engine number(s) are on the vertical portion of the cyl. head (front) and on the flat of the block directly above the oil filter assembly. the transmission number is more difficult as it is on the top cover and on a flange of the case but almost impossible to see without removing the trans tunnel cover. That said you should contact the good folks at the local club. I am sure they would love to help you as well as see your car. Reach them at Jaguar Club of Central Arizona. Best of luck!

The following users liked this post:
gkauff (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

BTW the numbers you posted are intake manifold casting and production numbers.

The following users liked this post:
gkauff (09-24-2017)