Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK120 XK140 XK150 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk120-xk140-xk150-60/)
-   -   Moss gear box (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk120-xk140-xk150-60/moss-gear-box-171449/)

onceuponatime1 10-24-2016 09:48 PM

Moss gear box

I'm fortunate to own an 1950 xk120,nearing the end of a body on restoration.
The problem is the moss gearbox will not go into 1st gear,but all the others are working.We found the front trust washer was lost after pulling the engine for the 2nd time.I found a nos one and reassembled it and it worked until it was put back in the car.I don't remember the clutch plate being replaced.I'm really frustrated as I should have driving it this summer.It's been almost 7 year restoration.I need someone's expertise here.Thanks,mike

Fraser Mitchell 10-26-2016 03:33 PM

Can you be a bit more forthcoming ? When you say it won't go into gear is it just crunching or is it just 1st gear won't go in ? You could have clutch "spin" which is failure of the clutch to fully withdraw. This makes it very difficult to put the car into gear when the engine is running. Clutch slip is the opposite.

Jagfixer 10-26-2016 09:14 PM

Was the gearbox rebuilt? I just redid a box that had the first gear in backwards and not lined up with the indents, which kept it out of first gear.

onceuponatime1 11-15-2016 08:27 PM

moss box problem

Originally Posted by onceuponatime1 (Post 1557832)
I'm fortunate to own an 1950 xk120,nearing the end of a body on restoration.
The problem is the moss gearbox will not go into 1st gear,but all the others are working.We found the front trust washer was lost after pulling the engine for the 2nd time.I found a nos one and reassembled it and it worked until it was put back in the car.I don't remember the clutch plate being replaced.I'm really frustrated as I should have driving it this summer.It's been almost 7 year restoration.I need someone's expertise here.Thanks,mike

Thanks for everyone's answers.
To question of is it all gears.It will not go into first,all oyhers (2nd,3rd&4th) work.We will look at the clutch and the gear in improperly.Thanks again, mike

Chas1 11-22-2017 03:51 PM

I have this clutch problem!

I found this thread and identify with this problem as below, can anyone help explain this please?

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell (Post 1558774)
Can you be a bit more forthcoming ? When you say it won't go into gear is it just crunching or is it just 1st gear won't go in ? You could have clutch "spin" which is failure of the clutch to fully withdraw. This makes it very difficult to put the car into gear when the engine is running. Clutch slip is the opposite.

I have the problem where I can't get into first gear too (without CRRRuncchhh) then all is well and the box and clutch seem to work very well all through the gears. I get round this problem by starting with the car in gear and foot on clutch and all is fine but not great around town.

Could you explain Clutch 'spin' and how it might be solved? The clutch adjustment is at its max and there is quite a bit of play in all the rods and connections that I'm sure will help if renewed and then the carbon bearing looks somewhat worn down but not too bad. I like the moss box and don't want to change it for a modern 5 speed.

alfred 11-22-2017 05:56 PM

From what I remember when I had my XK150, first would crunch since it was non-synchro. When you have the car in neutral, engine running, clutch in, try hit second gear, wait a few seconds and flip up into first. It is harder to hit first if the engine is idling fast so let it warm a bit up before you head out.

Chas1 11-28-2017 09:51 AM

Ok after some deliberation it's clear that the clutch linkage is pretty worn and a significant proportion of the clutch pedal travel is taken up by the slack in each of the components of the clutch actuating mechanism hence the clutch is nearly but not quite disengaging and so finding it hard to engage first and reverse when first setting off. So the favoured solution seems to be to replace the mechanical linkage with a hydraulic clutch kit to convert the clutch to a diaphragm clutch operated by a hydraulic action. The logic being one of cost and longterm ease of use (softer pedal pressure) but retaining the moss box which I do like even with the dodgy clutch!

I'll let you know how I get on with this over the next few weeks.

Chas1 01-08-2018 04:47 PM

After more deliberation I have decided against a hydraulic system and will renew the various parts go the clutch linkage to eliminate slack but replace my worn out clutch with a diaphragm clutch. Half way through - taking out engine and replacing various gaskets and have decided to make a few other repairs along the way will report back in a few weeks as to the difference and any pitfalls along the way - suggestions are welcome!