Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK120 XK140 XK150 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk120-xk140-xk150-60/)
-   -   Parts sources (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk120-xk140-xk150-60/parts-sources-209931/)

chris.schneider 10-29-2018 10:02 AM

Parts sources

Hi All

I’m about to buy an abandoned 1956 XK140 SE FHC project. The last owner disassembled everything and never put it back together. Of course parts have gone missing over time. A lot of parts seem to be available in shops like SNG Barrat or Limora, which is nice. But I prefer originals over reproductions. Are there good sources for used parts that are worth being refurbished?

Many thanks,

Chris

Jagfixer 10-30-2018 10:24 AM

I do Ebay, Craigslist, google British wrecking yards, watch anything to do with British cars. I picked up a set of original wire wheels for a 140 off craigslist for $15. Nothing wrong with them except age ( yellowed silver paint). Man had sold 140 and moved 400 miles away to be near family. upon getting home and opening boxes, found $600 in carb kits, rack and pinion bushings and mounts and assorted small stuff. Just bought an almost perfect wheel spat for my MK1 for $20. Go to swap meets and look, don't be disappointed if you don't find anything, but times I have found things. Keep eyes peeled for field cars, found two MK2s in a field for $125, parted and on shelf. What you have to do. Some replicated parts are excellent. I do weekend dives just to look for parked cars, my model or not will buy if price is right, as parts might be useable. I keep a 16' flat car hauler just for that reason.

chris.schneider 01-16-2019 02:38 AM

I'd do weekend drives as well if I lived in the states. Ain't working here in Switzerland, its forbidden to leave crap cars outside, and the nice cars are stored inside out of view.
But I found lots of good parts on Ebay. Pricing for 'buy it now' tends to be steep, they often do not sell. Well, this is a small market, but I also tend to think that prices are coming down (also for cars) and the vendors have yet to realize this.

Chris

Jagfixer 01-19-2019 03:50 PM

Prices on used parts is interesting. I went to one swap meet, saw some parts that were interesting, passed as they were not important. Went to another swap meet a couple weeks later, in another town, and saw the same parts but with a 25% increase in price. I asked why the increase, and was told the price of fuel went up. :icon_screwy:

Fraser Mitchell 01-26-2019 02:41 PM

Production volumes of these cars were very small but a lot of the mechanical stuff is common with the Mark VII saloons. Stuff specific to the particular car is not commonplace and parts prices reflect rarity.

cmayr99 06-17-2019 08:57 PM

i have tons of extra parts for xk 140 in original condition if you let me know what u are looking for i can send u some pics
however its all in canada so shipping may be difficult

chris.schneider 06-18-2019 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by cmayr99 (Post 2086357)
i have tons of extra parts for xk 140 in original condition if you let me know what u are looking for i can send u some pics
however its all in canada so shipping may be difficult

Thanks for the offer. Luckily I was able to get in touch with the previous owner of my car and now a 510pound box is traveling to Europe as we speak. However I'm sure there's still stuff missing. I'll get in touch with you as soon as I know more

Thanks,
Chris