XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

V8 conversion on a '56 XK140 - newer Jag V8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 conversion on a '56 XK140 - newer Jag V8?

Just getting a 56 XK140, sans engine/trans.
Purportedly, the PO had a Ford 302ci (bored to 331) with Ford autotrans installed and driving.
Thinking that since our objective is to just get this on the road, and with AC(!), we might put another Ford engine in it -- as certainly, it should be all set up to take a Ford V8, as opposed to having to make a Jag 3.4 fit back in it, right?

Wild thoughts include putting one of the "Ford"-Jag V8's into the car, to keep a toehold on the Jag Marque.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about doing such a conversion with newer Jag engine?
Anyone know of any literature or knowledgeable mechanic who does Ford conversions (or Jag engine conversions)?

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

It all depend on whether you want to get decent money for the car when you sell it. I don't think your proposed engine and transmission will put value into the car, although clearly if well done the car will work and drive well. It might be better to look around for an XK engine and gearbox from one of the saloons up to about 1960

Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

It's not like I could afford any XK150, original motor or not. However, for me, most of the appeal of these cars is due to the old school XK motor. There are a lot of early donor cars out there, (my Mark VII was probably going to suffer that fate). Still the three carb head has a lot of visual appeal. I think that a Jaguar motor belongs in the car, how about a V12? If this was a vintage Aston Martin would you swap another motor into it? Just my two cents. Good luck with the project, how about some pictures?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the inputs, and keep them coming.

Yep, the more we talk about it, the more conflicted we get.
Certainly do understand ONE of the bottom lines: That the car ONLY has true value back in its original form -- and the older it gets, the more important that "original" becomes. Converted-to-modern cars age very quickly.

But our bottom line started as getting the car to daily driveable condition, WITH AC.
But, but, but, but, maybe we just are being unreasonable in our choice of a classic XK for a daily driver. After all, geez, there are hundreds of other cars that are classy and would make better daily drivers...

gulp -- maybe we'll just turn around and sell the car to someone who has the time, inclination, and money to restore it fully now....

Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Just so you know, Ford had nothing to do with the design of any Jag V8.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Default Ford vs Jag engine differences

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just so you know, Ford had nothing to do with the design of any Jag V8.
Mikey,
Funny, but when the Ford-owned Jags rolled out, the ferocity with which Jag disclaimed any crossover with Ford engines made one think of Shakespeare's "...methinks thou protesteth too much..."

Personally, I don't care, plus I never looked at either engine side by side. BUT, it would be nice if the dimensions of a Ford 302ci (also = the modern 5L Fords) were similar to a Jag-labelled modern engine. This would make our engine transplant much easier -- remember, this car used to have a 302 Ford with autotrans, so it still is set up for an easier transplant, or so I would think.
This would increase the interest in a converted car by about 0.01% (yeah, about one hundredth of a percent) -- but it would ease my conscience about 10%!

Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There's nothing in common between the old school Ford 302 OHV V8s and anything that Forduar (if you insist) manufactured that will assist in doing a transplant any more than if the car presently had a far more common Chev OHV transplant.

Jut trying to help you out a bit.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't offer any concrete help or suggestions but will comment.

Neither my lovely E-Type 2&2 with its Chrysler V8 nor my wonderful SWB XJ6 with its its Chevrolet V8 were as completely pleasant as my completely original S-Type 4.2.

As you did, I long ago bought mine already desecrated which releaved us both of responsibility. But, you have a really compelling way to bridge usability and originality with a newer model Jaguar engine. If I knew how to do it. I would go with as much late model Jaguar as could be put in that beautiful body and keep it as original and era appropriate visually as possible.

Building a dune buggy the the wrong way, I learned it often makes the most sense to buy a single wrecked vehicle which offers most of what you need and sell or junk the the remainder of the carcass.

Another lesson learned was no amount rightly done stuff can overcome that which was not. What killed my E-Type for me was one belt which kept getting tossed off. Now I probably would have the patience to find the fix but then I did not. The XJ6 had perfect expensive lacquer paint with tasteful hand pinstripes on a body that was bubbling and rusting away. There is no cure for that I know of.

Make sure your base is solid and anything added to it flows naturally in performance and visually. That is such a beautiful car anything that pulls the eye away from its original lines like flashy wheels or big tail pipes will detract rather than add.

I'd buy it from you if done right and priced for a poor Tennessee guy.

Last edited by MiamiTVR; 09-05-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
I can't offer any concrete help or suggestions but will comment.

Neither my lovely E-Type 2&2 with its Chrysler V8 nor my wonderful SWB XJ6 with its its Chevrolet V8 were as completely pleasant as my completely original S-Type 4.2.

As you did, I long ago bought mine already desecrated which releaved us both of responsibility. But, you have a really compelling way to bridge usability and originality with a newer model Jaguar engine. If I knew how to do it. I would go with as much late model Jaguar as could be put in that beautiful body and keep it as original and era appropriate visually as possible.

Building a dune buggy the the wrong way, I learned it often makes the most sense to buy a single wrecked vehicle which offers most of what you need and sell or junk the the remainder of the carcass.

Another lesson learned was no amount rightly done stuff can overcome that which was not. What killed my E-Type for me was one belt which kept getting tossed off. Now I probably would have the patience to find the fix but then I did not. The XJ6 had perfect expensive lacquer paint with tasteful hand pinstripes on a body that was bubbling and rusting away. There is no cure for that I know of.

Make sure your base is solid and anything added to it flows naturally in performance and visually. That is such a beautiful car anything that pulls the eye away from its original lines like flashy wheels or big tail pipes will detract rather than add.

I'd buy it from you if done right and priced for a poor Tennessee guy.

Miami,
Thanks for the input.
I agree on EVERY SINGLE POINT you make.
BTW, love that 60's psychedelic paint job! Want to do the same thing on my MG Midget-converted-to-Bugeye project -- no prospect whatsoever of ever getting it back to original.
Yep, looking for a donor car from someone who has no mechanical skills and getting rid of their more modern Ford because it ran out of gas

I slam back and forth throughout the day, between putting in a 50's inline Jag 6, vs modern Jag V8, and a modern American V8.
At the moment, it's going to be a modern Ford V8 (same size as the old school 302ci) JUST to get it done, within a month (before Xmas) -- and with AC!!

This is like a spinning roulette wheel -- where it stops when I make a frantic and exhausted decision.... will be interesting.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like your projects. A bug eye is one of my never obtained favorites.

The paint job was done at a neighborhood art show as a publicity stunt for an art program for kids. It was about a week after I got my car and was the twin to mine. Mine was safely parked a few blocks away.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I can see that the 140 with an original DOHC 140 motor and four speed crash box SU's and all would be more valuable to many than the 'hotted" 302 and C4.

But, merely a different DOHC, even with Jaguar lineage? Bits if any in difference. It is no longer original.

So, a good 302 and a T5. Neat clean install. Not original, not even close.
But, I sure would bet it a ball to drive. Oh, and fix at lesser intervals, easier and for less $'s.

I am mere visitor here I drive a lump. It came here as a more than decent DOHC powered 83 XJ. DOHC "cooked". Now enjoys an LT1 and 4l60E from a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Great match. The LT1 is tuned for torque. It hauled a really big and heavy car. it now hauls a smaller but heavy car. The engine fits the bay better than the DOHC did. Granted the 83 of less value than the 140, by a long way.

Way back when, friends had 120's. Affordable at the time!!!! Each with major travails. One featured as a part of a broken marriage!!!!

I'll stop the rant.

Carl
Carl