XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

XK120 FHC rear window rust fix

Old 08-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XK120 FHC rear window rust fix

Well, Iíve taken out the rear window surround and window. When I finally got it off, I saw that the flange that holds the screws from the surround has lost a lot of its flange (mostly at the bottom).

The outside area does not seem to be compromised. However, the inner part of about two inches along the passenger side lip seems to be rust-delaminating a bit. I suppose thatís from the rear aperture having been bent over to form a dull edge around the window. Iíll clean it up as best I can and put more POR 15 on the area to prevent further decay.

Iíll have to build another flange/lip for the bottom half of the window surround. Does anyone have any tips or precautions?

Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, after much contemplation, I think I have it in hand.

I POR 15ed the entire area and made an "L"-shaped thin steel piece about 2.5 feet long and with a shrinker/stretcher managed to quickly get the contours and the shape of the bottom "ledge". I them used automotive bonding cement and glued the resulting "ledge" to the back window area to create the missing part. I then took the interior finishing surround and screwed it to the upper half of the area. After that I drilled the bottom new "Ledge" to match the holes in the finishing piece and found it very sturdy and workable.

The only mistake I made was to get the fast acting cement (a kind of epoxy) which was very fast acting as I only had about a minute to use clamps to hold the "ledge" to the body. It worked out OK though.

Then I affixed the finisher to the top and drilled the bottom to complete the area.

I the zinc chromate painted the entire area to further try and stop the tin worm.