XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 XKR Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Used $8 Fram fuel filter

I was able to use the $8 Fram fuel filter. However, removing the old original one was difficult. All my metal fuel line tools were too wide, so I bought a cheap plastic set, cut them even smaller with a dremmel tool with cutting wheel, and then was able to remove the original filter with bayonet fittings. To get the Fram filter to fit in the factory bracket, I wrapped it with electrical tape to increase its diameter so it fits. Now that I have the Fram in there (whatever was recommended by their catalog), it can easily be removed with regular fuel line tools.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Good job. Let us know if you notice any difference in performance....

Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Fram

I've had it on there for 2 years with no problems - will probably switch it out with another Fram this summer. $8 vs $70 ish for something as simple as a fuel filter seems the way to go.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default sheesh....

Originally Posted by scardini1
OK. Christmas is over - time to get back to work. Put Kitty on the lift and finally get to the filter. Problem is, it's not the one that was last recommended. If you look at the first photo the filter in the center is the one recommended (its box to its left. It has the bayonet fittings. The second photo is my installed filter (with the quick release connections).

Am I supposed to cut the plastic bayonet fittings off the filter I bought or is there yet "another" filter (the filter on the right is what all the auto parts stores list) that I'm supposed to find?

Also: I can barely get to the filter (heat shield & suspension), so I can't maneuver around it well. Is there a trick to releasing the quick release fittings easily?

One more thing: What Brain Surgeon put "that" heat shield in there?! (see third photo) Is there away to maneuver that thing out of the way without removing the exhaust system and differential? I really do not want to take the dremel out! ...... but I will (cringe).

Thanks Guys - Jim M
I feel your pain... I just went to Amazon, bought a filter that was supposed to fit this car and now I find this info (thanks, BTW). The one Amazon shipped me was very similar to the one that I installed on my 1997 XK8 - screw on fittings and all - so I didn't give it a second thought. Now this bit about bayonets - just went out to check just now and yep - fix bayonets it is. Well, time to test the Amazon return policy. Then I will get one of these:

Mann Filter MF 1045 Fuel Filter | eBay

In my opinion, Mann makes the best oil filters; I'd assume their fuel filters are pretty good also.

EDIT: I think that is the wrong filter. This, I think, is the correct one:
Amazon.com: Mann-Filter WK 512/1 Fuel Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: Mann-Filter WK 512/1 Fuel Filter: Automotive

Anyone who knows for sure please chime in, thanks!

Last edited by BurgXK8; 01-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Hi Burg,

That Mann filter looks exactly like the one I ultimately installed (after I cut the plastic fittings off). I'm not sure how much "quality" we need to worry about - the OEM Jaguar filter I removed not only said Jaguar on it, but also "Made in Poland". I took a look inside the (possibly) 130,000 mile filter I removed, and to tell the truth, it was pretty dirty in there. If I get the chance I'll unfurl the paper and post a pic of it.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 AM

It's never obvious how dirty a fuel filter is, even on clear bodied varieties - most of the crud is in the center of the element, from my experience.

I'm going to cut up the old one and see what she looks like inside.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Default Not too bad

Got mine done without needing a lift; not sure if it would help much, really. Once you take off the left rear wheel the process goes a bit easier. I think you can probably get away without the special tool, but it did make removing the quick release fittings a bit easier once the buttons were pushed (took a while to find them, but they are there).

Removing the upper fitting first is a good idea, but you will spill a few ounces of fuel once the lower one is removed, regardless. Keep some kitty litter and a drip pan handy. The Mann filter is a bit thinner than the one I removed - which I think is the original one; unless one of the prior owners had it replaced. Will find out once I disassemble it. I made it fit the bracket by using the tape trick mentioned in an earlier post (thanks).

Attached Thumbnails '03 XKR Fuel Filter-20140223_192949.jpg   '03 XKR Fuel Filter-20140223_193023.jpg   '03 XKR Fuel Filter-20140223_200327.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-02-2018)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Wow. The difference in diameter is significant. Hope you work it out. At least"your" original was made in the UK!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by scardini1
Wow. The difference in diameter is significant. Hope you work it out. At least"your" original was made in the UK!
A few wraps of electrical tape did the trick. Now it fits into the bracket like the original.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Default Dirty Filter?

Hi Guys,

I finally got around to cutting open the filter that remove from Kitty a couple of months ago. Attached are two photos. The first shows the cut apart OEM filter with the oh-so-British "Made in Poland" label. In the second I have stretched out the removed filter element. The top strip is obviously the dirty side and the bottom strip is a piece that I flipped over so you can see the difference.

I believe this may have been the original filter, so it had over 100K miles on it. Of course a bunch of blackened gasoline drained from the dirty side when I remove the filter, so that amount of debris is missing.

I guess the dirty side isn't shockingly dirty, but it has definitely collected some grit over the years. So, ... do we "need" to change our fuel filters regularly? Well, I think the 100K mark is a bit high mileage for a change, but it certainly isn't going to knock the earth off its axis.

Ciao! - Jim

Attached Thumbnails '03 XKR Fuel Filter-img_20140315_151411733.jpg   '03 XKR Fuel Filter-img_20140315_152246991.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Not bad at all. Today's gasoline is relatively clean compared to leaded fuel back in the day. Clogged fuel filters are much rarer today than they were during the leaded fuel era. But given enough time and miles, it can certainly happen....

Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 AM

It may not be visibly dirty, but depending where you live and what time of year it is, the gas itself is still crap in the US. Thanks to the corn lobby disguising itself as an environmental savior, methanol and other reformulations working their way into the gas are wreaking havoc on parts not designed for their use. Ask a motorcycle owner with carburetors on their bike.

Not to mention the condition of the gas sometimes varies with the station that sells it. A location that doesn't move a lot of product often times gets more moisture into the ground tanks. These kinds of pollutants may or may not show up in a fuel filter, but it still doesn't hurt to change it.

Orthodixie (05-02-2018)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I replaced my filter with a Hengst H110WK (seems this type is used on some common Opel-Models)
'03 XKR Fuel Filter-h110wk.jpg

I put the car on a jack, left rear-wheel removed. This one fits perfect to my MY2004 XKR. The 'Quicklock' is not the same as described in jtis. There's a white segment at the end of the connector, that has to be pressed. No tool needed, i did it with my fingers. The only problem is the lack of room beetween spring and chassis, where the filter is located. And in rainy conditions you get water from the left & fuel from above while lying under the car :-(

Greetings Wolf

Orthodixie (05-02-2018)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

hello all, is it necessary to drain thr fuel tank for the filter replacement? The JTIS says to, but I dont see any issue with you all other than relieving pressue first. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

No need to drain the tank. You can depressurize the system by pulling the fuel pump fuse in the trunk and starting the engine for just a second or two. That will lessen the fuel that will spill somewhat. Disconnect the lower filter fitting first. Most of the gas will drain out of the filter and the lines. Then you can cap the filter end (optional) and disconnect the upper fitting without getting "rained-on". (Well, .... at least rained-on a bit less).

Enjoy.

The following 2 users liked this post by scardini1:
mkrion (03-25-2014), Orthodixie (05-02-2018)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You can depressurize the fuel-system by the 'schrader-valve' (that kind of valve, that is also used on bycycle-tires) in the front area of the left valve cover. It's a little bit hidden beyond a rubber-hose.

Twist the blue cap on the valve off, put a little bit of cloth around and open the valve by carefully pressing with a small screwdriver on the pin in the middle. I think, this is better, than let the engine run with indifferent fuel access after pulling the fuelpump relais.

Open the upper quicklock at the filter with some cloth at hand to get a few drops of fuel that get out. Then put a small canister or glas under the filter and open the lower line. The amount of fuel running out is not so much, maybe 50 ccm... That's it.

greetings Wolf

mkrion (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Wolf. Good call on the schrader valve - I forgot we had one.

Isn't it funny how our experiences play out so differently. Because I had the car on a lift and was under the filter when I released the lower fitting second, I was treated to a wonderful gasoline shower - it comes out MUCH faster with the upper fitting released first! When that happened, I made a mental note: Next time, lower fitting first, let it drain or cap, THEN the upper fitting.

The exact opposite of your recommendation, and yet you too have perfectly justifiable reasons to chose that method.

I guess the best we can really do is just wish all of us GOOD LUCK; then just sit back and watch!

Orthodixie (05-02-2018)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Many thanks gentlemen, I really enjoy this forum it has made me truly appreciate all that goes into these posts. I purchased this vehicle for my wife about 2 years ago, she is dealing with LUPUS and always wanted a British sports car that had an automatic trans. Having restored several big healeys and a bugeye over the past 35 years, the jaguar was a new adventure and learning experience. I have been doing a good bit of maint that should have been done over the last 8 years, but apparently was never done. this forum has been terrific.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, greetings from a frosty Devon in the UK. I have just had the replacement filter delivered and find 2 blue plastic clips which appear to go over the pipe. Where and how do they fit when putting in the new filter please. Happy New Year.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

If your filter looks like the ones in earlier posts, you just cut off the plastic clips and discard them. The filter ends that remain will lock into the fuel line fittings once you press them home. Read all the posts in this thread to get a feel for how to get the old filter out.

Good luck!

Jagcop (01-02-2015)

Quick Reply: '03 XKR Fuel Filter