XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 xkr seat reclines back, but will not go up

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 04 xkr seat reclines back, but will not go up

My new to me 04 XKR, has a problem with the seat recline system. The drivers side seat will recline, however it will not go back up when the button is pushed, Per other threads I have read, I swapped the seat modules, how ever that did not work. Now I am stuck with the seat to far back to drive safely. Any ideas as to how I can get it back up? If you know a trick please let me know. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
My new to me 04 XKR, has a problem with the seat recline system. The drivers side seat will recline, however it will not go back up when the button is pushed, Per other threads I have read, I swapped the seat modules, how ever that did not work. Now I am stuck with the seat to far back to drive safely. Any ideas as to how I can get it back up? If you know a trick please let me know. Thanks!
Not an expert but it could be the switch (controls) unit on the side of the seat (?). I have a mildly damaged drivers side one that I just replaced. I can ship and see if that makes a difference. If so, you can buy one from eBay.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 PM

Would the passenger side switch be the same? I could swap them out really quick to test

Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Would the passenger side switch be the same? I could swap them out really quick to test
I would guess that would work but probably wouldn't mount. The units are a bit of a pain to remove as they have a wacky tab that's prone to break. There's a YouTube video on removal.

Best.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

What happens when you put the driver side module on the passenger side instead? Does the passenger side seat keep working, or does the recline function stops as well?

How is the seat heater function? Does it work? Does the light come on?

Normally, in nearly all cases, the modules need to be fixed. The circuit board moves against the hard plastic shell, and the outside edge tracks break off. The easy fix (for someone with soldering skills) is to bypass these tracks with individual wires. I am saying you possibly have 2 "bad" modules.

If you check on jagrepair.com, you can find the complete wiring diagram (the '03 book applies to you). There are diagrams for the seat controls on Fig 12, as well as the control modules, including wire color. If you are comfortable, applying the right voltage at the harness under the seat will drive the motor directly. Obviously, that would be outside of any range check, and, unless manually added, without the protection of the fuse.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM

When I swapped the seat modules, the passenger side continued to work 100%. And the drivers side recline still does not. The seat heater works perfectly fine, dash buttons illuminate and work as they should.I then swapped the seat button module, along with swapping back the control modules, to try every configuration. The passenger side functions 100% in every combo I used. I was unable to get the drivers side to recline in to the up position.
I will be pulling the seat to manually power the recline motor, this weekend. I will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by BlooDSMeaR; 03-01-2017 at 06:28 PM.