XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 XK8. Passenger window will not re-learn index position.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default '05 XK8. Passenger window will not re-learn index position.

Hi. I have an '05 xk8 convertible in which the windows were working fine until the battery went dead. I followed the owners manual procedure for the windows to "re learn" their positions. The drivers side works fine after the re-set but the passenger side will not. It just keeps re-indexing down each time the handle is pulled. I've tried to re-set it mulitple times but it still won't index correctly. Is there something simple I might be missing or any ideas? Thank you.

Rob

Old 05-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

'Battery went dead' ????

Did you replace the battery or recharge it? '05 to '09 is 4+ years and about time for a new one. The window motors draw a lot of current, pull the voltage down and the Window/Body Module forgets about the window position.

Anyway, battery is the first thing to verify.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 PM

I charged the battery for now. The car is starting but still weak. If the windows draw a lot of current, replacing the battery will hopefully do the trick. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Well I changed the battery in the car, but the passenger window will still not index properly. For example, when I pull up on the door handle from the outside, the window drops down as normal but pops up again when the handle is released. Thus the window is too high and hits the soft top when I go to close it. I've followed the procedure re learning the position but no luck.. Maybe a problem with the door handle? Thank you for any suggestions.

Rob T.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Check the window glass guides for sticky stuff or spray with a silicone spray. The window motors can draw a lot of current and pull the battery, even a new one down. That's the easy answer.

There is a micro switch associated with the door handle that tells the BPM the status of the door. That's next.

Last edited by test point; 05-27-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2003 XKR Convertible with window issues

I'm having similar problems with my 2003 XKR convertible. The windows will drop when the door is openned from either the inside or the outside but when the handle is released the windows will immediately go back up.

What is the sequence of operation of the windows?
1) open the door and the window should move down
2) close the dorr and the window should move back up

I pulled the inside of the door off to do the procedure a forum member recommended of tightening a loose nut in the window lift mechanism but all my nuts are tight.

Because the window goes down properly when I open the door but goes back up as soon as I let go of the door handle my thought is that there is a switch that senses when the door is closed that is stuck such that whatever electronics used to monitor thinks that the door is closed. I had a similar problem with the door locks on my BMW; they would pop up just a soon as I locked them all. The problem turned out to be a back switch in the door latch.

Does anyone know if there is a door open-or-closed switch and where it is?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

the switch for that function is located in the latch assembly itself. It can be 'repaired' but it means removal and disassembly, Gus was able to do a fix a while ago on a test switch. Most people just replace the latch itself, more expensive, but less downtime and frustration. My car had both replaced under warranty before I purchased it...guessing from the same reason as you.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 05 XKR conv. is doing the same thing. The driver's window goes back up as soon as I release the handle. So what was the final resolution? Was it a faulty micro switch in the handle or a weak battery?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

As Matt said, you have a bad microswitch in your door latch. I removed and replaced the entire latch assembly on my car because of that same problem, only in my car it was on the driver's side. The video below shows how to remove the latch and get to the microswitch.

Jaguar XK8 Door Latch Removal and Replacement - YouTube

If you take it to the dealer they are going to want to replace the entire latch. The latch alone costs about $700, then add in the labor to replace it. The microswitch can be bought separately. There's another thread on here somewhere that shows the part number for the switch. Just search for "door latch microswitch" and you'll find it.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing the microswitch right now, you could always adjust the window so it doesn't go up quite so far. That's what I did on my car until I got around to replacing the microswitch. Here's a video that shows how to adjust the window.

Jaguar XK8 Window Adjustment - YouTube

Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

If you want to replace the entire latch assembly, sometimes you can find them on eBay. Here's one I just found, but the seller is asking $180. I got mine for about $10.