XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 XK8 Mobile Phone Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 1998 XK8 Mobile Phone Removal

I removed my Motorola corded phone and holder from the armrest compartment of my XK8 today. I still have the power connector cable and antenna cable in the compartment.

My question is should I remove a fuse. I noticed Fuse No. 5 in my boot fuse box that is labeled "Radio Telephone" and if I do, will it affect any other operations?

Old 10-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Had me wondering for a mo..

The fuse positions are marked on the trunk fusebox lid, but the fuses (there are two) are in the passenger fascia. Remove both #5 and #10 (5A) to kill power to the phone & interface.

There's also a large slab of 90's electronics under the console tray insert.

Does yours no longer work or are you going bluetooth?

Mike

Old 10-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Mike, the phone worked but was not in-service since my brother-in-law (original owner) died in 2004 and it has been used sparingly ever since. Now it is mine.

I will need to learn more about the passenger facia to find the fuses. Also I just removed it to gain space in the console compartment. How do I get access to the "large slab of equipment"? I see there are four screws in the bottom of the compartment where the phone was mounted. Are those the only ones I need to remove to gain access to that 90's era equipment?

I appreciate your reply.

Kent

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Sorry, I should have said 'passenger side fascia fusebox'.

If you open the passsenger door, you will see a triangular shaped plastic cover at the end of the fascia. The fuses you are looking for are underneath this.

You don't really need to remove the black box once the fuses are out, but the OEM system was a pretty expensive option back in the day and if you're disposing of it there's still a market (albeit small) even if it does look like a museum artefact.

To remove the console tray, extract the screws under the console lid: there are two at the back and the two at the front. The box is attached to the underside of this tray by the other screws you mention. Unplug the yellow connector at the rear of the console together with the thin antenna coaxial lead and it should all come away.

This pic. of what comes out may help:

Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM

Mike, strange but I have a 1998 Saphire XK8 convertible with 34K miles!!!