Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   1998 XK8 trip computer reset switch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/1998-xk8-trip-computer-reset-switch-198471/)

klynn 03-17-2018 07:45 PM

1998 XK8 trip computer reset switch

The button at the end of the turn signal lever doesn't work. I am replacing the trip computer in the dash due to a button stuck in. The column stalk button never worked even before the trip computer button stuck. Does the column button connect to the panel computer? Is there something I can check to trouble shoot the stalk button while I have things apart to change the panel mounted computer?

Johnken 03-18-2018 09:48 AM

Lynn, this happened to me once. Turned out that a wire from the stalk to a circuit board underneath the steering column shroud had become unsoldered.

here's how to get to that:
tilt wheel down and out.
disconnect battery before you remove key ( or she'll auto reset in and up)
remove lower balance panel. Loosen bolts at bottom left right. Gently pull back from top (bolts at bottom press fit at top)
once top is free lift to clear bottom bolts.
carefully reach in and disconnect valet switch on left , climate sensor on right.
remove panel.

unscrew bottom section of the steering wheel shroud #2 phillips head. Disconnect / remove embedded switches.

use photos I've posted to locate the 2 screws that hold the upper shroud on. Get on your back and unscrew the upper shroud. This is the hardest part, a PITA.

unscrew steering wheel horn pad/air bag, 4 bolts in rear. NOTE wire orientations for reassembly. Disconnect air bag.

Put air bag in safe place should it deploy.

one nut in center of steering wheel to remove. Pull steering wheel off.

see the circuit board tucked at base of stalk. I once posted wire color for this, not in a position to search for you now.

if you are too new to search, just ask.

use a long thin nose solder wand to reattach wire.

total job around 45min the 1st time.

john

Johnken 03-18-2018 09:53 AM

www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/photo-turn-signal-wires-176642/

this is 1 of the 2 photos I mentioned. Wire color for 1998 is included.

john

klynn 03-18-2018 08:05 PM

Can't see the picture

Thanks for the reply. When I click on what looks like a link to your picture it takes me to a credit card ad. Am I doing something wrong? Your procedure sounds a little intimidating, but I also need to tackle the instructions I have seen on how to get the steering wheel tilt and extend working again. I can bump it up or down by repeatedly hitting the switch. I also need to get to the air conditioner diverters. It sounds like my fan runs fast, but the air out of the vents is weak. I think I have seen information that this is behind the glove compartment somewhere. What scares me is the 20 year old plastic connections tend to snap off instead of release when I try to disengage connectors or fuse holder box covers. I may end up taping or ty wraping things to hold them together especially if I am mistaken on how things come apart and they don't like the wrong force on them.

klynn 03-18-2018 08:10 PM

found the picture

I found the picture. I was clicking on the word "photos" that looked like a hyperlink. That's what took me to the ad. I realized the photo address was at the top.

GGG 03-19-2018 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 1861117)
.....this is 1 of the 2 photos I mentioned. Wire color for 1998 is included. .....

Originally Posted by klynn (Post 1861409)
Thanks for the reply. When I click on what looks like a link to your picture it takes me to a credit card ad. ....

I've activated the link John posted in #3 by removing the https:// at the start. When hyperlinking in forum posts, it's essential to remove this.

Graham

Johnken 03-19-2018 10:43 AM

Lynn, this may help. Thanks Graham for instructions:
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...ighlight=Photo

A bit of redundancy but this one IDs the specific wire in 1998s.

I have a photo of the upper cowl screw locations. Tell me if you want to see it and I'll be glad to dig it up.

Strange, I deleted http, but it shows up. Hope you can launch this one.

John

klynn 07-07-2022 07:57 PM

I finally got tired of dripping sweat after driving on a hot day with no AC air flow and decided to tear into things. I eventually found a connector that had resistance in the power wire to the drivers fan motor and resolved that so now I have air conditioning again. I went ahead and tackled the trip computer switch while I was at it. Just as you mentioned, the yellow wire was broken off of a terminal. I reattached it and now I have trip computer functions. This was the only thing the previous owner said didn't work so it has been this way for some time. It only took me 4 years to take advantage of your information. At this point I'm letting the steering wheel tilt and extend issue wait. It works sometimes and I can always help it into whatever position I want it in. A very belated thank you for the directions.

One last issue at least for the moment that I will mention here. I now have the airbag fault light blinking a 5-2 code that wasn't there prior to these projects. I am seeing in other posts that may be because I had the ignition switch in the run position for some extended periods of time without the car running during my AC fan troubleshooting and it sets a fault in non-volatile memory that may eventually clear itself after a large number of start cycles. Other web sites also mention the problem being caused by the switch in the run position for extended periods of time, but it causes damage to a condenser inside the airbag itself and is non-repairable. I have a hard time thinking the 5-2 code - "seat belt switch circuit fault - pass" (from the chart I found) is a real seat belt issue that just coincidentally occurred at this time unless there is some associated wiring I may have damaged during the other work. Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks