XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Jaguar XK8 4.0L Convertible in Bahrain - ZF 5HP24 Transmission renewal plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default 1999 Jaguar XK8 4.0L Convertible in Bahrain - ZF 5HP24 Transmission renewal plan

Gents,
As my wife will be away for 2 months during the long extreme heat of the summer in Bahrain, I'm planning my 2019 summer XK8 work plan
One of the things I was thinking about was the ZF 5HP24 transmission unit. Not just changing out the sump filter but something akin to removing it, inspecting and overhauling the unit.
I'm not really having any transmission issues yet, and I'm aware that I'm opening up a painful subject to many disgruntled Jag owners. Please consider your pain, is my gain!

Things I was thinking of was replacing the torque converter, installing upgraded transmission pressure regulator, etc. Do you suggest anything else such as sensors, circuits, clutch etc.
If you have a list of part numbers, and suppliers you recommend, would be helpful as I need to build up a shopping list.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default Transmission Renewal because I want to

Well,

My future summer plans in Bahrain are not going well. Even though the ZF transmission unit is common, I can’t find any one who is experienced in the unit. If I mention flushing out the valve body, garage people don’t want to know. Still, the cost of a new Torque Coverter made my eyes water so won’t be doing that but there’s an up graded Transgo pressure regulator available. There’s talk of an upgraded A Drum which I’m trying to track down but I really want to renew the ZF clutch plates. No luck there. Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

To me, it all boils down to whether you are taking the trans off the car or not. If you are willing to go through all that labor, then go ahead and get yourself a complete mechanical rebuild kit (check eBay). I believe there are online documents describing the rebuild process. To my (superficial) knowledge, it does not require insane special tools or special adjustments only learned by experience. sonnax.com has lots of parts and documents too.

If you are keeping the trans on the car, the valve body can still be serviced/replaced/rebuilt depending on your budget level.

If it was me, I would try and gather the best descriptions of what a failing A-drum sounds/feels/behaves like, and go from there. If you have no symptoms at all, maybe the transgo valve alone is what is best for this year, and can extend the life of what is there. It is a valve body procedure that is not crazy labor intensive or even expensive. OTOH, if you do feel like the trans is ready to fail, then start lining up parts and all that for a more complete rebuild.

Another option for you, more at the retail level, is to look for a trans shop that can do a complete swap for a rebuilt unit, all inclusive. Them have them add the transgo valve extra for longevity. All depends on how involved you want to be and how much you can tolerate spending I suppose.

Best of luck, keep us posted.