Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   2000 XKR Tensioners Cost (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/2000-xkr-tensioners-cost-218642/)

Fancynan99 06-03-2019 07:31 AM

2000 XKR Tensioners Cost

Hi. I just bought my car and based on comments , going to have the car fully checked out and wanted to see if anyone could provide a guess as to what replacement of the tensioners (timing chain) might cost. I also am going to have all the hoses checked (especially) for the convertible top so I don't get any surprises in my 1st few months of owning the car.
Trying to be proactive. Suggestions welcome. I am in Baltimore, MD, USA.
The car looks really well cared for and had all scheduled maintenance. The car has 61,000 miles.

80sRule 06-03-2019 08:27 AM

If you are paying a shop to do the full deal; primary and secondary tensioners, guides, chains, the whole deal; I bet $2500 to 3000. SNG Barratt as well as others list the prices anywhere as low as $500 to 800 for all the parts depending on whether you want Jaguar or aftermarket seals and gaskets, and just how many gaskets you want to replace. Add in labor and that's where $3k aint that crazy.

No matter what, at least do the secondaries, but really you should do the whole thing as in the 8.5 years I've been on this forum, I've seen tons of posts showing cracked plastic on the guides and plenty of sketch secondaries. My 2000 XKR in 2011 at 67k had pretty big cracks on both secondaries, and my 98 XJR in 2015 with 80k still had them looking like new but still the sketchy plastic. It's a lottery with shitty prizes, so it's best to just bite the bullet.

The convertible top hoses can have methods like a resistor or pressure relief valve with the same goal, less peak pressure through the lines. I still had mine fail, and it failed like a lot of people, at the latch overhead and gave me a green shower. I would guess a shop would get like $1500 to change the hoses with aftermarket units; purely a guess since I do absolutely everything and really am just estimating based on how long it took me, and how well someone could streamline the process (someone who had done it previously, and would do faster the next go around).

Johnken 06-03-2019 08:32 AM

+1 with 80sRule

Ungn 06-03-2019 07:20 PM

I can't hear very good, but Primaries should clatter before they catastrophically fail. The secondaries will fail without warning and will wreck your engine, so check/change those ASAP.

Secondaries are cheap and relatively easy to swap - order them now with new valve cover gaskets/spark plug seals and you can change them this weekend in your driveway. With the valve cover off, you can check the condition of the primary tensioners and schedule their removal

rothwell 06-04-2019 09:18 AM

The car looks like it has been garaged and only driven in fair weather so its likely the top latch hoses are not roasted from the sun. Anyway its easy to remove the black metal cover along the top edge and have a look to see how big a hurry you should be in to replace them. I am betting that this car is in no immediate jeopardy of a green shower.

For the tensioners I would not even start the car until I had a look to see if they have already been done.

Are you able to DIY any of this stuff?

80sRule 06-04-2019 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 2080326)
The car looks like it has been garaged and only driven in fair weather so its likely the top latch hoses are not roasted from the sun. Anyway its easy to remove the black metal cover along the top edge and have a look to see how big a hurry you should be in to replace them. I am betting that this car is in no immediate jeopardy of a green shower.

For the tensioners I would not even start the car until I had a look to see if they have already been done.

Are you able to DIY any of this stuff?

My 2000 XKR had the hoses go at 70k 8 years ago; it's been garaged since new, and led an easy life in Michigan (lower temps and less months; and climate controlled winter storage) for 17 of it's 19 years, with Atlanta for the first two. I can't image 8 years later that the hoses on his would be better than mine were when it failed. I agree with checking it, but just plan on eventually doing it, and just knowing that it probably will happen.

Dr. D 06-04-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 2080326)

+1