XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XK8 w/ 17k miles Craigslist find

Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 2001 XK8 w/ 17k miles Craigslist find

So this evening I let better sense get away from me and purchased another XK that was looking for some TLC. I guess it was time since completing quite a bit of work the the sentimental family XK8 now owned by my Uncle. Anyway, I stumbled upon this 2001 XK8 which has ONLY 17,900 miles on the ticker.....

Went to investigate today, and AMAZINGLY, it literally runs like a sewing machine.... Valve train is quiet as can be, fluids all look great, nothing milky under the oil cap, absolutely no lights on, runs completely cool, etc. The color has already started to grow on me.

What it does have are the following issues listed below. Some of these, I have had numerous experiences (sometimes more than 3-4 times fixing issues with mine and my Uncle's XKs, but some of the issues I would like some recommendations from the group.

I've also included some pictures as right now, she's not a 10 as it appears the gentleman that owned it previously just ran it through the carwash on a weekly basis as there is a "racing stripe" of burnt clear all the way down the center starting at the hood as well as the convertible top and trunk.

Issues I have seen so far:

1. Convertible Top Needs Immediate replacement: This is my first foray here; are there any preferred vendors or tops for these cars? The other tops I have are in perfect condition and I use RaggTopp to keep it perfect so I don't know what a good top for quality and longevity is. The guy actually cut the flapping middle piece off so all remains is the black liner underneath as you can see.

2. Rear Shocks are Shot: Upper shock bushing stop slaps and slams into tower in rear and shock is completely collapsed. Bilsteins I've read in the forums? Any recommendations here?

3. Latch hose is blown: part of the reason why owner wanted to sell, and the fact he had house remodeling projects going on. I've now completed 2 latch hose replacements before with LSI valves; not sure if LSI still makes a valve but I have this one covered fortunately. (I can vouch for the LSI valve, it is good kit)

4. Cooling System needs overhaul I'm sure: Looks to be all original, so complete overhaul after further investigation is due. I've read there are aluminum castings to replace the plastic cooling tower on the XK8s. I'll have to look into who makes these. I have experience with the Octopus hoses, valley hoses, etc, now, so know what this entails.

5. Paint needs attention

6. Radio volume knob just spins without notchy feel and no adjustment to volume

7. Cup Holder that flips out of center console is missing

8. Small Oil Leaks: Appears to be valve covers and maybe something from the lower end (oil pan, etc.) but I like to start from the top down to eliminate issues.

9. Wheels: Aftermarket wheels on the car; functional but ugly and corroded. Will look for a good deal on originals for the vehicle.

If anyone can suggest a great experience with a convertible top and what type of shocks, or anything else on the list, please let me know. I'm going to keep this thread running as my own "Wheeler Dealer" episode minus the selling part

Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Bilstien are OEM, I stuck with that brand of shocks.

your seats are in nice shape, congratulations.

TTYTT, the wheels don't look that bad at all IMO.

looks like you did well, best of luck with it.

John

Old 01-09-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Wow Scott you bought that one. Congrats.

That color is unique to 2001 model. Hopefully the paint can be saved.

I've been meaning to come visit. Now I have even more reasons.

I might have some good parts that could help too.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell
Wow Scott you bought that one. Congrats.

That color is unique to 2001 model. Hopefully the paint can be saved.

I've been meaning to come visit. Now I have even more reasons.

I might have some good parts that could help too.

Haha Rothwell, you must have been scanning Craigslist too? Definitely, let's get together and put some cars and coffee together.

-Scott

Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice color combo, SrPope. I would prefer that interior, more of a saddle tan, than the taupe in my black '06. I can't help wondering, though, how can a car with only about 17K miles need shocks?

Granville

Old 01-10-2019, 01:33 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

Beautiful colour. But, I wonder how can the interior be so "used" and the shocks gone after only 17K miles? May be more like 117K?

Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

That is actually a very nice color combo ... took me 2 minutes to look at it, and I like it already, a lot!
Maybe looks even better with an all black roof (not often that I say that).
I also agree on the wheels, if they are refurbished, they look very OEM, the concave fits the car.
Just imagine all is clean, shiny and repaired, nice catch!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:04 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber3d
Beautiful colour. But, I wonder how can the interior be so "used" and the shocks gone after only 17K miles? May be more like 117K?
+1..

Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 150FHC
Nice color combo, SrPope. I would prefer that interior, more of a saddle tan, than the taupe in my black '06. I can't help wondering, though, how can a car with only about 17K miles need shocks?

Granville
This thing sat a loooong time.

The shock is completely collapsed probably due to lack of use so I'm sure the seal dried up and gassed out. The interior saw some sun from Florida, but I'm not sure how you would "fake" the mileage on these cars?

The pedals and such seem to be OEM and have little to no wear. The scary thing is that it looks all original cooling, etc., So that would have to be addressed.

Does anyone have experience with a good convertible top replacement vendor?

Last edited by srpope80; 01-10-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 AM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

I replied to your other post but seems topsonline is a favorite for tops as well as seat covers

Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by sklimii
I replied to your other post but seems topsonline is a favorite for tops as well as seat covers
Thanks sklimii, checking their site out and the appear to have a great warranty. I appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Received 223 Likes on 116 Posts

I think a lot of people have used topsonline for replacement tops (and seat leather, but looks like you're good on that front). I can't personally vouch for them because I have a coupe, and I haven't yet purchased replacement seat covers from them, but others seem have had good things to say.

As far as replacement wheels go, what are you looking for? The three piece BBS wheels are a pain to find and pretty expensive (ask me how I know), but others like the early XKR wheels are not too terrible (relatively speaking). I used Rimmer Bros to find the front pair of montreal wheels (which I could not find after months of searching in the US), and the wheels were brand new, but not cheap. It's possible that you could get a brand new set of non-BBS XKR wheels for a not-heinous price.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,321 Likes on 735 Posts

What's wrong with looking in the salvage yards for the top. Over the years I've run across some nice tops on cars that were kept indoors most of the time and crunched front or rear. Place in Atlanta had a section of XK8's.
You sure did get a nice looking car. With your experience on some of the main problems, even more of a bargain.
A used top might be easier to get frame and all, rams, hoses and pump. Pull a Part's would be a good place to keep an eye on.
Just me.
New rear shocks and bushings, don't envy you that job.
Again, nice find.