XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations

Ok, the supercharger oil change post has been done many times. I have learned everything I know about the deed from other forum members posts, but as I did it myself I came up with a few observations that I had not read before, so I thought I would jot them down and share them for others that are going to do the oil change on their superchargers.

First I called a local Jaguar shop that think they are god's gift the Jaguar owner and think of themselves as superior "Jaguarnauts" I asked how much to change the oil, I was quoted $800.00, was told the only way to do it was to remove the supercharger from the car, that it had to be removed from car and level to be filled properly etc. They obviously they did not want to service my supercharger.

I read many posts, did not seem to be that difficult, just maybe a little tedious. So I decided to do it myself. I went to amazon and ordered 2 4oz. GM supercharger oils, 2 oz. syringe, measuring cup and then went ace hardware and picked up 4 sizes of clear poly hose.

½" Down to 1/8" made sure I got the kind of hose that was very pliable and soft, some os the clear stuff if very hard to bed (not Good). they just push into each other and create a good bond (no air seepage). Cut the first 3 pieces ½", 3/8", ¼" about 2" long, push 1" or more into each of the pieces and the last hose 1/8" about 6 inches long. So it will go from big to little.

Then I went for it. Some pictures at bottom.

People, People,People dont' be scared of this maintenance procedure for your supercharger, it's a breeze.

Like everyone else does place a absorbent rag below the plug on left side of S/C catches any drips or dropping of plug. You may want to have a long magnetic retrieval rod handy as well.

As you can see I also tied off the hoses with electric ties to make more room and used a large screwdriver and bent back the large coolant hose that is right infront of S/C plug.

I used a 3/16" hex bit socket ¼" drive and thin profile ¼" rachet. The thin profile is very necessary because of narrow area in front of plug, really narrow, I dont think there is enough room for a normal profile rachet (THICKER), so be warned!

ok undo the plug and remove it from area to a table next to car. it's nice to have a table close by to put you tools and stuff so they are close bye.

Place your syringe with 1/8" hose into hole going down, not straight in as there are gears that will stop the entry, so bend the hose and push in, I used long needle nose pliers to help push tubing in.

I found that if you push tube in to far you were not able to suck oil out. It is trial and error with the hose, just be patient and you will get there, try pulling on syringe and you will immediately feel the tension on the plunger when you are sucking oil, don't worry about pushing air into S/C no harm and easier then pulling out tube and starting over.

This part is just trial and feel. When you get oil filled syringe squirt it into the measuring flask and make sure to keep track of all oil removed. 2 oz. at a time.

I got out exactly 6.8 ounces of oil, I don't think you will get more, ( I became a little abscessed with getting it all, even jacked up the rear end of car, I got no more oil, 6.8oz was it!) the whole S/C only holds total of 7.3 ounces and I believe there is some oil loss over the years.

The oil was very dark brown and smelly. I took that oil and placed on a level surface and recorded exact amount removed.

Then dumped that oil into a empty pickle jar and cleaned out the measuring flask.

I put the new clean oil in it and recorded exact amount which was 2 4oz. Bottle totaling exactly 8 oz.

I cleaned the syringes and hoses with very hot water and dried them. My syringe was 2 oz so I filled it with the fresh clean almost clear (like vegetable oil) and squirted it in the hole, repeated 4 times until the oil came out the hole (which is the correct amount) you really can't overfill!

I measured clean oil that was remained in measuring flack and there was exactly .7 oz left which means I put in 7.3 oz to the S/C the exact amount called for.

That is what makes me believe you lose some oil over the years, because I took out 6.8oz and replaced 7.3 meaning I got out all oil and replaced exact amount called for.

Ok, now you put back the plug, this is what I have never read about, YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT CROSS THREAD AND STRIP THE THREADS TO THE PLUG OR OPENING. I think it could be easy to do if you are not paying attention and are on the frustrated side of your emotions. JUST BEWARE Of PLUG PLACEMENT it is very confined area. it need to go straight into thread hole of S/C.

Another thing to watch is always make sure you have at least 2" of the 1/8" outside of the S/C in case it gets stuck inside, since oil is a lubrication the hoses can pull out of each other with pressure so if it gets stuck in S/C you enough of the 1/8" tubing to grab onto with your needle nose pliers. This should not happen but it does you need to be able to get the tubing out.

Oh yeah another thing I did, that I think makes it much easier to do the job is, I put the hood in the mechanics position, remove either the top or the bottom of both struts on each side of hood(I do the top parts strut) then the hood will give you better access and much more needed light to the front of engine compartment. Easy to do just use a small flat screwdriver and pry a little pressure to the black metal clamp that goes over the ball socket and pull the strut away with out ward and small twist and the strut will come right off, then lay it down. Now use a stick or broom something about 4 feet log to wedge or prop up the hood in the open position so it can't accidently come down on your head (not good) ! while removing struts it would be easier to have someone else to hold hood in up position but always hold onto it as one strut will not keep it up! You've been warned...

Clean up, remove rag wipe down and you should be done, place the struts back on hood just push the round opening back onto the ball socket and Viola" you Super Charger is SUPER again! you have just completed a $800.00 job for about 40 bucks, GOOD JOB!

I hope this help those that are hesitant about doing this maintenance job for the supercharger. I hope my writing is easy to understand, I write this as I talk it out on how to do it.
I hope you feel good like I do about refreshing my SuperCharger, I think it runs smoother and quieter as well. I know she's Happier!

And Remember

Happy Motoring...

Attached Thumbnails 2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations-dscn2864.jpg   2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations-dscn2865.jpg   2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations-dscn2866.jpg   2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations-dscn2867.jpg   2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations-dscn2868.jpg  

2001 XKR SuperCharger Oil Change w/ Pictures and Some New Observations-dscn2874.jpg  
The following 10 users liked this post by vettegood:
BobF (12-19-2014), ccfulton (12-20-2014), clyons (12-19-2014), danand (12-20-2014), Jag Pilot (07-20-2015), Lonestranger (01-14-2015), Marc (01-23-2015), palantir (02-09-2015), RCSign (12-19-2014), XK8cat lover (03-20-2017) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)