Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   2002 Jaguar xk8 jumps when you put it in drive or reverse (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/2002-jaguar-xk8-jumps-when-you-put-drive-reverse-217163/)

endurance 04-30-2019 11:51 PM

2002 Jaguar xk8 jumps when you put it in drive or reverse

Hi Guys have a 2002 jaguar xk8 91,000 miles, have some oil leaking from what i think is th torque converter seal. Well today i put the cat in drive and it jerk into gear once in gear drove and shifted normal does the same jerking when i put it in reverse. Any help or suggestions in regards to this matter would be greatly appreciated Thanks again!

DavidYau 05-01-2019 01:28 AM

Transmission oil leak ... maybe low ATF fluid

2002 is a switch over year when some cars had the ZF5HP24 unit and others had the Mercedes transmission. Do you know what you have? Any history on the car including any ATF change?

First thought on your problem is that the ATF leak you see has led to low fluid level so maybe needs to be topped up or complete ATF change.

On my ZF5HP24 unit, the ATF change wasn’t a small job but DIY-able.

endurance 05-01-2019 02:29 AM

Thank you David. Just picked up the car about three weeks ago. Need to get a hold of a service manual.
David how do you determine what transmission you have and how to check the atf level

DavidYau 05-01-2019 02:55 AM

Cannot check ATF fluid level on ZF5HP24 tranny

VIN check maybe to see what you have, bearing in mind PO may have changed things. I’ve never seen the underside of the Mercedes unit, so can’t say for sure what to look for. There’s been some discussion that the sump pan bolts are different, where the ZF T27 are fully screwed into the body, while others you can reach the back of the bolts for WD40 to help loosen them.

For my 1998 ZF unit, there’s no dip stick or any way I know of to check ATF level. Forum members have debated in the past how to install one but I never heard of a conclusion.

During my ATF change, to fill it, you had to run the engine until a set temp, and fill until the fluid trickles out. This has to repeated later as the torque converter holds fluid. Maybe you can go that way to just top up.

There is a brilliant Youtube video by the Eminent Rev Sam (sam1174) on the ATF change on a XK8. Maybe that will help you.

Worst case scenario, is you have the A Drum failure, but my understanding is that around 2002 there was an upgraded A Drum installed into the ZF tranny.

dibbit 05-01-2019 03:07 AM

All 4.0 XK8 have the 5 speed ZF. All 4.0 XKR have the 5 speed Mercedes. The 4.2 XK8/R have the 6 speed ZF.

endurance 05-01-2019 10:26 AM

Is there a a link to atf video change?

Thanks David 4.0 v8 drove car no issues while driving just thinking it got hot enough for the atf to expand. Definitely want to top it off what is the temp recommended to start adding fluid

DavidYau 05-01-2019 12:38 PM

Check out the “Stickies” thread

Link to YouTube’s sam1174 is a sticky. Link below

michaelh 05-01-2019 03:25 PM

Note that the good Reverend's car has the later 6hp26 trans with the plastic pan. Yours will look a little diffferent underneath but the method is the same.

endurance 05-01-2019 03:31 PM

Great thank you Guys for everything

Thanks for all the help awesome

DavidYau 05-02-2019 08:44 AM

TSB 307-02 Checking Fluid Level ZF5HP24

1 Attachment(s)
I attach the official Jaguar TSB dated 9.97 for this, but I didn't follow this exactly (esp. the instructions at the PDU base station) - If you have a Code reader, you may be able to get the transmission temp. over the OBD2 port. I see it as basically keep below 50degC which is hot to touch.

Plus they specified AFT fluid Esso LT71141. I couldn't find what was used previously in my car, or the Forum recommended Mercon SP (used in Ford cars) so I put in 7 to 8 L of Liqui Moly ATF1200. Hard to be exact when fluid is dripping everywhere.

Besides, I still think Rev. Sam's youtube video is more informative (and fun).