XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 XKR Transmission High Temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 XKR Transmission High Temp

2002 XKR... On COLD mornings Transmission High Temperature light comes on and car won't start. After several attempts car will finally start and be fine rest of day. I have read several posts about a Sensor Failure or short.
1) Is there anyway to disable or bypass the sensor to get the car to start?
2) If not is there a schematic that shows exactly where the sensor is and how to remove?
3) Or is there a short somewhere and how to bypass or find?
Thanx...

Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I had the transmission rebuilt on my '99 XK non super charged and sometimes, rarely the "transmission high temp" light will come on. First time, less than 30 days after the rebuild. The jag repair shop I deal with says they reused the wiring harness that is inside the transmission and this is just an intermittent short. Due to the high cost of the transmission fluid I decided to not repair it. If I turn my key total off it goes away. I have never had a difficult time starting the car with the light on or off.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exactly the same problem but different

RE: 2001 XKR. AAMCO just replaced my transmission electrical conductor plate in Ohio. Soon after the repair, I drove the car home to Colorado. About 600 miles into the trip, I was accelerating in a 75 mph zone and hit 88 mph when the "TRANSMISSION HIGH TEMP" warning light/msg appeared. Freaking out, I immediately dropped my speed back and at about 70, the warning ceased. As I slowly tried to increase my speed the warning returned.

Since I was in the middle of nowhere, I was forced to keep driving. I noted that I was able to accelerate slowly, holding my speed each time the light came on until it went off and then accelerated until I got to driving speed. In flat land Kansas, while holding about 70 mph, the light would come on going up overpasses and out, again, on the down-hill side. This symptom + the fact that acceleration also caused the "problem" made me think it was an actual cooling problem.

When I stopped for fuel, etc., the light would come on as soon as I started my trip again, as soon as I put it into any gear. The light started staying on more than off, so I stopped for the night. The next morning, with a cold engine, the light again appeared as soon as I put the Jag into gear. Since the tranny was stone cold, this indicated more on a sensor problem. I made it the rest of the way on my trip with the light on.

After reading these two posts, I feel confident that it is a sensor problem, but after Byer's Jaguar in Columbus trying to sell me a new tranny rather than replace my conductor plate and the Jag useless for months locked into tranny fault/limp home mode, I'm more than a bit paranoid about frying my tranny out here in the middle of nowhere. I'm 160 miles from the nearest Jag dealer/repair shop.

Any opinions, based upon my specific problem description, on whether my problem is sensor related or do I have a more serious situation?

Thanx, Mike

Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Michael,
I have driven my '99 mentioned in this string for 2 years now and the light comes on about once every 90 days or so. I ignore it and it goes away. I feel it is not worth the expense of repair. It seems that with time the light comes on less and less.
LaRue

Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Development

Okay! Yesterday afternoon after posting my first problem scenario regarding the HIGH TEMP warning, I had to move my Jag. There was no sign of tranny problems. So, I drove it about the neighborhood a bit. Again, no warnings.

Embolden and hopeful, I took it out for a highway speed test. After about 2 miles at 50 mph, my tranny went into "neutral." That is, the tranny was still in drive but the engine was revving and NOT pulling. I tried shifting from drive into neutral and lower gears with no change and finely coasted into a pull-over. I shifted into reverse and that worked. Tried drive, again, and it worked. I made a U-turn and headed home, and the problem reoccurred. A stop and shift into reverse, again, fixed the problem.

I made it back home without further incident.

I am fearful, now, that my tranny issue was real, and not just a sensor problem. My car came without the driver's manual so I cannot check as to what all, exactly, the yellow warning light entails.

Any further information on this issue will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanx, Mike