XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 XK8 coupe rear side window trim pulls away from glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2003 XK8 coupe rear side window trim pulls away from glass

I am looking for preventative maintenence or minor repair advice. Each of the 2000 to 2003 coupes I looked at as well as the one I purchased seemed to have a problem to varying degree with the trim that runs around the edge of the rear side windows developing a curl as this seems to be hard plastic (might have been soft plastic when new?) this pulls the trim away from the window.

The seal appears to be maintained by a secondary element, out of view, however a small gap is developing between the trim and glass. The gap on mine is at about 1/16" at widest on passenger side and about 3/32" on drivers side. These gaps are along the rear, lower portion of the window and continue through the tight part of the curve of the trim strip.

History:

I brought this to dealers attention, they indicated it was not covered under warranty but they had the trim shop they use for jags, bentleys, etc. take a look while they were taking care of seats. They made an attempt at no charge that involved application of heat which while it pulled a little closer, resulted in ripples at about three inch intervals. Prior to me picking up the car the service manager indicated they did not have good results, offered to have body shop take a look. Body shop did not have a solution, dealer had glass guy take a look. Glass guy recommended silicone. I declined as I did not have faith in the degree the silicone would hold and did not want to add the task of cleaning it back out for "next solution". I really do not feel like any action is appropriate regarding the dealer's trim shop ripples as all were working as a favor.

Now for the drama!

Requesting a price for the trim to be replaced when it really became a problem came back with a parts cost of $1,920 total for both sides. I did not even go past that on what the install labor was.

I believe I saw these parts as low as 180.00 each side on Jagbits but I want to verify they are new.

They also look to be a pain to replace.

I am thinking of application of 3M trim adhesive or contact cement on window (masked off ahead of time for clean edge and back side of trim).

I think this would hold but the contact cement which I think is best is going to be a real bear to get off if I am wrong.

I do not know if there is such an animal as high strength silicone where I should work with the glass guys to figure out a way to clamp it in place using suction cups as fulcrums, etc.

I have seen these pull away by maybe as much as 1/4". While mine was in the dealer shop, they had three other coupes in. All had this problem.

As this seems to be a manufacturing problem as opposed to a care issue, I was also wondering if there is anyone with insight as to how to get this developed int a "service bulletin" item with Jaguar as these items seem to be covered on at least some warrantees.

One issue is although I think it is a common problem, threr are not that many coupes out there. Are we up against the wall due to inferior numbers?

Regards to All,
Steven (1avguy)

Last edited by GGG; 07-31-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 1999 coupe and can't follow your description of the problem. Can you post a pic?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Daddyo007,

I have pic's, too inept to post. If I use insert image tool it is asking for a URL. Tried to add pic to signature, that failed also, probably too large of a pixel count.

OK now I have to go back to newbieland. In the mean time;

Rear side window glass, the plastic piece that runs around the glass, that sits direclty next to the glass and starts at top next to the door, curves down toward rear, makes U-turn and back to the door. The problem is from the sharpest curved part of the trim (nearest trunk) to about halfway toeards the door along the bottom.

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Yes, I too will need a picture. I have no idea what part you're talking about. Host your pics on photobucket, then link with the insert image like you tried before. Only problem with 'attaching' image options are the file size limitation.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Go to new album "1avguy cars", second photo for problem area.

Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Veteran member

sorry steven, can't help you with that area. That's not even a common system with mine.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1avguy
I am looking for preventative maintenence or minor repair advice. Each of the 2000 to 2003 coupes I looked at as well as the one I purchased seemed to have a problem to varying degree with the trim that runs around the edge of the rear side windows developing a curl as this seems to be hard plastic (might have been soft plastic when new?) this pulls the trim away from the window.

Regards to All,
Steven (1avguy)
My 2000 XK8 has this problem only mine is at the bottom of the window. When washing the car you can see water coming out from under this trim. As long at it doesn't fall off and doesn't leak water into the car then I'm going to leave mine alone.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
sorry steven, can't help you with that area. That's not even a common system with mine.
Coupe's only.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 01 XKR coupe, and the trim on the driver's side is also pulling away. The pass side is not too bad. The trim in your picture does not look too bad at all. Mine is worse and it really doesn't bother me, and I am really paticular on how my car looks! I certainly would not pay money in an attempt to improve this trim piece. Just too many other things to worry about! But good luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM

XKRCoupeMan,

I agree, mine is minor now. I noticed they all seem to have this issue to some degree and it seems to be worse as the car ages. On mine, drivers side is worse than passenger side. This also seems to be a trend. At present, a reasonable amount of force is needed to bring it back in line but drivers side is getting where I want to stop it before it gets too far out to pull it back unless we can find a reasonable price for replacement parts.

As others have posted here, I think the intent is to allow water to pass by. This is especially true on top so water does not get trapped against body. I think I may try to find some especially high strength tape or thin plastic that I can glue to glass and trim in segments with space in between to allow water to pass through.

Right now there is a slight expansion on the foam strip that acually mounts the glass under the cosmetic piece where the cosmetic piece is tugging the foam trip away from window on dirvers side. I need to keep an eye on that as I think that might eventually lead to a body rot issue.

I also, right now I have no choice right now but to park under a canopy of oak trees at the office. Lovely to look at but all kinds of little goobers to pick out of any cracks and crevices.

I think time is on my side, looking for ideas that worked as well as those that did not so I do not go down same path. Hoping actually for a glass guy, body guy or master tech who might have replaced window to give insight to forces at hand or an aftermarket parts source to stash a couple of trim pieces away for future.

I am curious as to your climate/climate history of your car. Mine is from southern california and might have more hot weather exposure than others. It seemed to be common to the cars I looked at in the bay area also.

It probably is just more of a personal issue as it was on my list of questions I posed for the seller and for local dealer to look at in a pre-inspection on the car before setting up the deal to fly in from out of town to buy it. They both specifically indicated it was not pulling away as well as several other untrue statements on other "hit list" items. Not enough to blow the deal but enough to grind on you.

I think the only big deal is to stay away from automatic car washes.

Good to know those other coupe members. Thanks to all for the posts.

Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Steven: ya gotta love the coupes! The roof lines are so sweet.

My car was raised in Miami, until I purchased it a year and a half ago, and drove it home to northern Kentucky (Cincy area). So it sat in the hot/humid south FL weather for 7 years, but now is safe in my climate control garage.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Thanks!

I will keep you posted on progress. Right now I'm considering ordering suction cups for glass handlers from Harbor freight and rigging a screw/lever device to apply pressure in the warm summer sun and marking where the adverse curve starts so I can hit it the start of curverd part with a little freeze mist to set it (never a hair dresser around when you need one). Hopefully I wont hit the hot window with the mist and have a bigger issue. I figure if that does not help I can use the suction cup rigs as "retainers" or to hold in place if I go with a glued solution. Still hesitant on glue as the plastic and glass will expand at different rates and the parts are pricey.

The only draw back with coupe roof line is the crease in my head from when I forget to duck getting out of the car. I am only 5'-7", sit short in the saddle and am not used to having to duck for fixed objects. Dont seem to have a problem getting in but tend to make a Homer Simpson noise on the way out.

regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 AM

My Green Jewel was raised in the San Diego area before I bought it and gave it a home here in OrEgone.

The space that I have is at the bottom of the trim that you're pointing at in your picture and this space allows the water to drain out from under the trim.

In the sunlight, looking at the driver's side via the outside rear view mirror while sitting in the driver's seat, I can see 3 waves in the bottom part of the trim. Could all be caused from the California sun.

I believe this car lived in a garage and not outside under the red, orange and blue clouds of the south.

There were 27K miles on the car when I saved it from the south's climate and moved it into my garage and drive it under the blue sky's of the north!!

As for your head banging problem, try to put your left hand on the door sill and roll left out of the seat and you'll never hit your head.

Last edited by GreenJewel; 09-10-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM

GreenJewel,

Thanks for the specifics. Mine is also low miles (just under 35K) and has three ripples. Also my passenger side is pulling away slightly but smooth enough it does not really look like a malfunction/problem. Contemplated issues like drivers side is not in shade if you park on street but can't imagine the consistancy which this seems to occur on the drivers side. Love to hear from folks who drive on the left side of the road and those in northern climates to see if this is environmental issue. In the mean time I will look closely at attachment method to see if interval of attachment points or structure is related to ripples.

As far as repair over long haul, looking at glass handler suction cups and the kids erector set to clamp down on high spots with shims under low spots about 3:00 pm and letting it sit until it cools off in the evening a few times and see if that works.
The second move is probably gluing several small pieces of thin plastic to glass and trim, placed at low and high points of the ripples with space between for water to drain and clamping with rube goldberg suction cup gizmo to hold in place unitl glue sets. I am probably gong to try the first method over long period or repeatedly before trying this as there is no going backward about this move without $$ involved and I am aprehensive regarding the different expansion rates of the glass and plastic in the heat.

Regards and thanks for specifics,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
As for your head banging problem, try to put your left hand on the door sill and roll left out of the seat and you'll never hit your head.
that's funny, cuz that's how I 'roll' out of my car. It saves from adding to the seats bolster wear. I found myself placing my left elbow and arm on the seat as I exited at first. Now, I just do the door sill trick (just aft of the xk8 plate). Suprisingly, its aways clean.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I just remembered your question about the black trim pulling away. On my coupe the trim is a hard material co-extruded with the body to window trim.
There for mine is still factory fresh in appearance. The body portion of the trim is a dark metalliac grey while the piece next to the glass is satin black. Then again mine is a 99. Production date of NOV 98. If yours is pliable then there must have been a design change.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM

Hey daddyo!

There are the same design (I think) it appears to be all one piece but could be "co-moulded" out of two materials. The black part is very stiff, I think the black part is a little more flexible because simply because it is thinner as whre the trim rounds the corner at the rear by the trunk, it is very stiff and that is where maximum distance from window occurs.

I think it is probably a case of the inside black part of the piece/assembly expanding more than the thicker more stable material that is dark grey color. I think this is why it is developing ripples as the stiffer parts and body are holding firm and the pressure and or longer inside dimension is forcing it away from glass.

Consequently, I dont think heat alone is answer, heat and compression might work but may be a roll of the dice and tough.

Sill interested if this is a hot weather area phenomenon. If so, a few years down the road if it is actuall worth the work to remove and replace, there might be some available in junk yards. I think it is as I seem to have less of a "ripple" now that weather is out of triple digits.

What is climate/temperature swing in your area? Has car been garaged?

I appreciate the post. It is one of those, each time you look in the mirror things.

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 06-22-2015, 01:40 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 2003 xk8 coupe rear side window trim pulls away from glass

Any updates on this issue? Have you guys solved the design problem? Does anyone know whether or not the window will collapse in if pushed from the outside? Maybe the glass is working it's way inward to the interior. Can't tell from the manual how it works.

Last edited by cyber3d; 06-22-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
that's funny, cuz that's how I 'roll' out of my car. It saves from adding to the seats bolster wear. I found myself placing my left elbow and arm on the seat as I exited at first. Now, I just do the door sill trick (just aft of the xk8 plate). Suprisingly, its aways clean.
For those who are seriously having trouble getting out of the car there's the

Of course, given the fact it's a Jag, this device might yank the door latch out of its socket

Old 06-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 2003 xk8 coupe rear side window trim pulls away from glass

so. do you have a car cane? don't think I like that swivel seat contraption. both for just $19.95 if got call NOW! in my other car I installed a passenger side roof assist handle on the driver side as I'm disabled. no over head room in the Jaguar, so the cane thingy looks interesting.

Quick Reply: 2003 XK8 coupe rear side window trim pulls away from glass