Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   2006 XK8 Sport mode and lights flickering (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/2006-xk8-sport-mode-lights-flickering-164811/)

Aerial_photos 06-22-2016 11:03 AM

2006 XK8 Sport mode and lights flickering

I have had periodic loss of sports transmission mode and lights flickering for a few years and decided to do something about it. After reviewing threads on the forum I replaced the transmission linear switch but after only a day and a half its back to being only intermittently available (no light no lower gears avail). I am about to check the positive battery lead crimp and fuses to trace the flickering but I wondered if the two faults could be related. Could "noise" on the lighting power circuit cause any faults in any of the modules affecting the transmission sports mode availability? I have never done a hard reset on the electrical system, is that also worth a try?

RJ237 06-22-2016 12:21 PM

When you disconnect the cables to inspect you will be doing a reset. To be certain touch the neg. cable to the positive while off the battery. And yes, they could be related.

please visit the new member area and introduce yourself.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Aerial_photos 08-07-2016 02:09 PM

I did a hard reset and cleaned the positive battery cable connector (it had some light corrosion on it) . Still having intermittent sport mode problems. When it fails to light the sport mode switch when I turn on ign circuits all I need to do is turn it off and back on again and I get the sports mode switch light on. Any ideas what might cause that? It's as if there is a glitch in the power up sequence.

jamdmyers 08-08-2016 04:27 AM

I would check all the grounding straps on the car, esp the one from engine to transmission. There are several straps do a search I recall seeing a thread that showed their locations.

You might want to message Tim (brgjag) he lives in your neck of the woods and has some good knowledge on these cars.

Aerial_photos 09-22-2017 03:51 PM

I finally fixed the problem by cleaning the externalelectrical harness connector at the gearbox, a little light corrosion on the pins was the issue.

cs81srq 02-26-2019 10:59 AM

Hi Aerial-Photos,

Would you mind sharing what this connector looks like and its location? I have many of the same issues in my 03 XKR and would like to give this a shot to see if it helps.

Thanks!

Corey

Porterve 06-24-2019 03:51 PM

Hello cs81srq,

did you ever receive the photo of the connector at the gearbox that needs cleaning?
I seem to be having an issue with the cruise control and sport mode Leds on my XK8 as they are both ‘on’ with the buttons out and only turn off when the buttons have been pressed. I’m pretty sure it should be the other way around?

Cheers

1997 XK8 Convertible 4.0L BRG
2000 S-type 3.0L BRG

DavidYau 06-24-2019 08:47 PM

Sports mode, cruise control lights up in up position

In my 1999 XK8, the sports mode and cruise are lit & on in the switch up position. Down is off.

Easy to tell if these things are working.

cs81srq 06-25-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Porterve (Post 2089493)
Hello cs81srq,

did you ever receive the photo of the connector at the gearbox that needs cleaning?
I seem to be having an issue with the cruise control and sport mode Leds on my XK8 as they are both ‘on’ with the buttons out and only turn off when the buttons have been pressed. I’m pretty sure it should be the other way around?

Cheers

1997 XK8 Convertible 4.0L BRG
2000 S-type 3.0L BRG

Haven't received the picture yet. That said, I think you are okay as long as you are seeing the red light. I believe with mine it is lit when the button is up and off when it is down. My problem is that sometimes the red light is never on, whether the button is down or up, and the left side of the J-gate does not work as well when that happens. If I turn the engine off and restart the car the button works like a charm. Frustrating.

DavidYau 06-25-2019 09:10 AM

Probably a problem with the J-Gate Module connections

Probably just a simple problem with contacts within the J - Gate module. Take up the J Gate surround covers (a la Rev Sam's Youtube video sam1174 - all his videos are Stickies)

You'll have access to everything and can check and clean everything. Pic below of disassembled J Gate module when I repaired mine a while back..

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e677c74feb.jpg